Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ever want to put a timer on a player?
05-28-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Ever want to put a timer on a player?
i agree, players that take too long to play destroy the whole game, i have a friend that plays 5-10 minutes for a munchkin round, for the freakin munchkin thats not just long thats slower than boredom
hourglass is a nice solution, and in LNOE combines with the theme, its a Zombie overrun you have to think and act fast...now RUN
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
(02-28-2012 02:06 AM)Wade Wrote:  Played a couple weeks ago and my buddy's little brother (when I say little, he's 22 years old) sat in and played for the first time.

This guy sat and thought and re-thought "I could do this. Or I could do this..." every damn turn. It slowed the game down to the point of boredom and eventually I started telling him he had to hurry up as people were tuning out, yawning, etc.

I thought I might get a little 3 minute hourglass or something if I have to play with him again. If he starts hemming and hawing I'll flip the glass to get his ass in gear.

Anyone else have to deal with this type of thing?

Me and my buddies don't take the game too seriously and even help out guys on the opposing team from time to time. Or if someone forgets part of their turn we'll let tham make it up (have I mentioned we tend to drink when we play?) out of order or whatever. So this guy over analyzing everything was a real drag.

Consider applying the rules of RoboRally: If your friend hasn't decided on how to make his move when everybody else is done, then you start the timer. When the timer runs out you could either let some random factor decide on his movie, let another Hero Player decide or even let the Zombie Player choose. Alternatively when the time runs out, the turn's over.

Whether you enjoy beer or blood to go with the game - doesn't matter. Let the Zombie Player bring the pain, not the slow death of a lame Hero Player.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
(05-29-2012 11:46 AM)scarydk Wrote:  Consider applying the rules of RoboRally: If your friend hasn't decided on how to make his move when everybody else is done, then you start the timer. When the timer runs out you could either let some random factor decide on his movie, let another Hero Player decide or even let the Zombie Player choose. Alternatively when the time runs out, the turn's over.

Whether you enjoy beer or blood to go with the game - doesn't matter. Let the Zombie Player bring the pain, not the slow death of a lame Hero Player.

i believe after timer ends the outcome for player to make no move at all is closest to the horror theme, the character is freaked out and frozen in place
06-06-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm all for taking your time to think out your move... appropriately so. I am the type of person who likes to think out my move a little bit before I just go ahead and do something that may be a bad idea.

... But I never take excessively long. When it comes down to it, if it is taking you long to make a decision, you have to just go with something. After all, it isn't like it is real life. It is just a game. If your move ends up being terrible and screwing you big time... it is all part of the fun of the game. Heck... that happens sometimes in zombie movies.

So, I would say that I would hope in general a time clock is never needed. But, if you do have a player who thinks WAY too hard about there moves and takes a long time, I can see how that would drag the game down. So, if that is the case, it may not be a bad idea to implement, with a fairly generous, but still not excessive time frame.

I also like the idea, thematically, that if you take too long to decide, you lose your turn based on the idea that the hero is frozen with fear.
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I like the idea of each player having an individual overall timer. Take the number of turns you would use roughly on average in a game, times it by a slightly low limit (like 90 seconds) and that's your player's clock. That player can take as long as he wants on each turn but when his clock runs down he's out of the game.

That'll lead to some really frantic play towards the end of the game- for instance the players have been delayed in reaching their objective and suddenly the 3 minutes someone thought he had left for the last two turns is suddenly 3 minutes for 7 more turns!
06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
That actually does sound pretty cool. Though, I'd personally be concerned about that meaning people may wind up running out of time before the game is even over. You'd have to make sure the overall time is set to a fairly reasonable level so something like that happening would be pretty rare unless somebody really over-uses their time.

I still kinda lean towards liking a time limit per turn if you have to use a time limit at all. That way, you still get to play every one of your turns, you just have to do it without wasting time excessively. Plus, I like how that fits in thematically because you can say the hero was frozen with fear and couldn't do anything that round.