Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Select your favorite monster
Ghosts
Witches
Vampires
Werewolves
Zombies
Megamonsters (e.g. Godzilla)
Aliens
Supernatural killers (e.g. Jason.)
Mummies
Cosmic horrors (e.g. Cthulhu)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite monsters from books/movies/games, etc.
03-08-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 04:15 PM by goodcop2000.)
Favorite monsters from books/movies/games, etc.
I've been dying to try out the "poll" option on a post so I thought I would post a simple one - what is your favorite type of monster? Whether you are a fan of horror literature, movies, games, whatever...

There was a maximum of 10 options so I apologize if I left off your favorite...

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: Favorite monsters from books/movies/games, etc.
The real answer? Humans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I like me a good slasher flick, so I voted for the Jason option. I love Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare, Texas Chainsaw, etc. Zombies are a close second.

Anybody know if any good boardgames use the slasher theme, like you try to stay alive long enough to get strong enough to confront the baddie in the end, similar to ATOE maybe?
03-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a long standing favorite.

Radioactive Mutent Ninja Zombie Dionasaurs from Outer Space!

P.S. I wish I lived in space! I love cheesy space sci-fi.

Through victory my chains are broken.
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I voted for aliens.
I really like the evil martians in Mars Attacks and the first ever movie that kept me up all night was Alien itself. Saw it one late night on ITV when I was about 17 and it scared the crap out of me.

I was used to watching the cheesy zombie movies of the 80's but Alien..oh man.what a trip.
Imagine yourself in my shoes.
Late ate night, way to late to get up at 6 am to go to school but awake non the less.
Browsing the channels on my little tv in my bedroom. And then I saw it...the shot of the Nostromo passing by. And me, being a Star Wars fan, thought "oh sweet! A spacemovie!"
And so I kept watching....

To be honest I still get a smile on my face when I remember me laying in bed. In horror...scared stiff with tensionbuilding music and that creepy alien sound... 17 years old and scared Watchmen02

That is over 20 years ago kids! Back then here in Belgium there was hardly any way of getting your hands on good stuff. No magazines, no internet, no hardcore games, trailers, ...
Where I lived you stumbled on such greatness. I think my man KidDarqo will agree with me on is.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
(03-09-2012 08:19 AM)Emp Wrote:  I voted for aliens.
I really like the evil martians in Mars Attacks and the first ever movie that kept me up all night was Alien itself. Saw it one late night on ITV when I was about 17 and it scared the crap out of me.

You're right, Emp, Alien is an absolutely classic horror movie.

You know I almost didn't do this poll because I thought that since the board is so LNOE oriented it would be a ridiculous landslide for the zombies...

And here we are a couple days in and I'm the only vote for zombies. My fellow TZG'ers are quite unpredictable!

03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Ah, aliens that one slipped my vote..I love creepy, unknown space villains. I chose megamonsters, while they seem goofy in all those kaiju series in the 70's I still think they are pretty awesome. I would love to see something like that in today's standard of graphics. I would love to see a rubber suit but better crafted miniature cities and vehicles and updated cosmic fire blasts.
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Hmmmm
my favourite movies of all time are almost all involving some type of alien creature, so like Emp said, i'll choose aliens as my number 1, with an almost identical story like him, only difference is i saw it on a french channel late one night, i didn't know what they were saying but i just kept on watching scarred out of my jammy jams, didn't sleep much that night i can tell you that Watchmen02
but...
i also have a strange connection with anything to do with werewolves, this is an actual kind of trauma i got from seeing a clip from "An American Werewolf in London" at a really young age, i didn't watch the movie, it was just a clip they showed on TV to announce that they were going to play it that week, anyway it was the part where there are these three homeless guys warming themselves up in a junkyard or something, then they spot something in the distance, and it was moving closer and then there was this close-up of the werewolf's head howling followed by a shot of the subwaytrain passing by very loud... i remember i went numb when i saw it, i had nightmares after that and having a lot of difficulty to get to sleep. ever since i just want to see werewolf movies and 99% of the time the werewolves suck, the American Werewolf is the alpha wolf, the rest are just a bunch of dogs Zombie03 ,the Howling comes close, even silver bullet i found had a real terror aspect, now a days it's just all cheap scars and bad storytelling
i actually like the remake of the wolfman, not a lot of people liked it...
i guess i'm just funny that way
so aliens nr 1, werewolves a close 2nd and 3rd monsters in general my absolute favourite being "the Creature From the Black Lagoon"...even got a signed photograph to prove it...ow yeah Zombie17

cheers
the Kid
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 09:25 PM by goodcop2000.)
(03-11-2012 07:55 PM)Kiddarqo Wrote:  Hmmmm
my favourite movies of all time are almost all involving some type of alien creature, so like Emp said, i'll choose aliens as my number 1, with an almost identical story like him, only difference is i saw it on a french channel late one night, i didn't know what they were saying but i just kept on watching scarred out of my jammy jams, didn't sleep much that night i can tell you that Watchmen02
but...
i also have a strange connection with anything to do with werewolves, this is an actual kind of trauma i got from seeing a clip from "An American Werewolf in London" at a really young age, i didn't watch the movie, it was just a clip they showed on TV to announce that they were going to play it that week, anyway it was the part where there are these three homeless guys warming themselves up in a junkyard or something, then they spot something in the distance, and it was moving closer and then there was this close-up of the werewolf's head howling followed by a shot of the subwaytrain passing by very loud... i remember i went numb when i saw it, i had nightmares after that and having a lot of difficulty to get to sleep. ever since i just want to see werewolf movies and 99% of the time the werewolves suck, the American Werewolf is the alpha wolf, the rest are just a bunch of dogs Zombie03 ,the Howling comes close, even silver bullet i found had a real terror aspect, now a days it's just all cheap scars and bad storytelling
i actually like the remake of the wolfman, not a lot of people liked it...
i guess i'm just funny that way
so aliens nr 1, werewolves a close 2nd and 3rd monsters in general my absolute favourite being "the Creature From the Black Lagoon"...even got a signed photograph to prove it...ow yeah Zombie17

cheers
the Kid

Thanks, for the vote, Kid, and happy birthday! I've only become a zombie fanatic over the last 4 or 5 years - when I was young my favorites were vampires and werewolves. I enjoyed the Benicio Del Toro "Wolfman", too. I thought it was cool they used the same name (Lawrence "Larry" Talbot) from the original Lon Chaney Jr. version and even made the werewolf look more like that Lon Chaney Jr. version than any other modern werewolf movie I've seen. And I agree that "Silver Bullet" was actually a pretty good film. It had a lot of tension and suspense without too much gore so I let my 12 year old watch that one.

Have you checked out "Dog Soldiers"? It's about a unit of soldiers getting dropped into a secluded area for a training scenario and then running into a pack of werewolves, without the benefit of live ammo! The werewolves are pretty badass and they are HUGE. When they walk into a room their head is up by the ceiling.

Last night I played "Creature from the Black Lagoon" for all 3 of my kids and they loved it. I like that they are old enough now to watch the old black and white classic horror movies that I watched over and over when I was a kid. I don't think they're quite ready for "Trilogy of Terror" that I used to see on tv in the afternoon after school, though. That little warrior doll was seriously scary.

03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Alien is the only horror movie series my parents even like, and they love it. They saw them all in theaters, and they don't really go to movies much. Great, scary movies.