Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Final Wave scenario (nod to Plants v Zombies)
03-04-2012, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 06:16 AM by goodcop2000.)
RE: Final Wave scenario (nod to Plants v Zombies)
So my kids and I played my Final Wave scenario for the first time tonight. My daughters were the zombies and my son and I were the heroes (Sheriff Anderson and Father Joseph for me, Billy and Sam for him). I have more LNOE zombies on order but for this game we used 14 LNOE zombies and 14 of the ones used in the "Zombies" game.

We had to suspend play until tomorrow after 10 turns because it was getting too late but the zombie mega-horde is crazy! There were several turns where all 28 zombies were on the board and the heroes were desperately trying not to get pinned in a building.

With 5 turns left, Billy and Sam are both wounded, on the run toward the hospital with some decent distance between them and the ravenous beasts. However, Father Joseph and Sheriff Anderson are both zombie heroes with the good Padre falling prey to a "I Feel Kinda Strange" card while battling several zombies (see photo)

and Sheriff Anderson having the terrible luck to have the building he was about to enter "Taken Over" and then to roll 1 on two consecutive movement rolls so that he was swarmed over by 8 zombies included zombie Father Joseph (see photo).

We haven't had as much zombie carnage as I would have liked although Sam did kill 9 zombies out of 12 with one shotgun blast. Sam and Billy have been running around almost all game with dynamite and gasoline but just can not find anything to light them.

We'll see how the final 5 turns go tomorrow - more zombies should die because of the "zombies weakening" rule I made, but my initial impression is that I'm going to have to give the heroes some more help at the beginning of the game (maybe another bonus hero card and/or well-stocked buildings). It's been a miracle just to keep two heroes alive up to this point and if it wasn't for my daughters accidentally leaving slim escape routes open and a well-timed Fire Extinguisher the heroes would all be slaughtered by now. (photo when Father Joseph had just turned zombie and attacked his former friends - things were looking grim).

The game has been fun, though, which is the most important thing to me. Next time I will play the zombies to get that perspective.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I absolutely adore all X zombies in play scenarios. I believe it's favored still for the zombies. Which is nice. However, you did help the humans out the gate, too. One of the few scenarios over the past few months I'm actually eager to play my next run through. And, you know what the main reason is? That small part of "Minimum 16". For some reason, all Horde scenarios are just auto spawn. That initial bad roll of 4d6 of 6 total... doesn't feel horde overrun to me and something so simple as minimum adds that. Very nice.

Also, you play with your family? Awesome.

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
03-04-2012, 04:50 PM
(03-04-2012 02:24 PM)Orguss Wrote:  I absolutely adore all X zombies in play scenarios. I believe it's favored still for the zombies. Which is nice. However, you did help the humans out the gate, too. One of the few scenarios over the past few months I'm actually eager to play my next run through. And, you know what the main reason is? That small part of "Minimum 16". For some reason, all Horde scenarios are just auto spawn. That initial bad roll of 4d6 of 6 total... doesn't feel horde overrun to me and something so simple as minimum adds that. Very nice.

Also, you play with your family? Awesome.

Thanks, Orguss. I really put some thought into the scenario and I would love it if somebody other than my family actually got some enjoyment out of it.

03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
(03-04-2012 06:14 AM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  ...

With 5 turns left, Billy and Sam are both wounded, on the run toward the hospital with some decent distance between them and the ravenous beasts. However, Father Joseph and Sheriff Anderson are both zombie heroes...

Game update: We finished up the last 5 rounds of our game this afternoon and Billy and Sam (both down to their last wound at the end) managed to survive, making the game a nominal hero victory.

It was hectic, though. If it wasn't for free searches, the heroes would barely have used any Hero cards because usually the heroes would make it to a building, get the free search, and then have to make a run for the next building to avoid the converging horde.

One quirk about this scenario that I noticed during the second half of the game was that with all 28 zombies on the board it was a better strategy to not snipe any of them with ranged weapons unless absolutely necessary to clear a path. With the extra spawning pits and no restriction on how to distribute spawned zombies, any zombies that were killed in the Hero Turn were usually spawned in closer proximity to the heroes on the following Zombie Turn.

03-28-2012, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2012 01:33 AM by goodcop2000.)
So I gave my kids a choice the other day to play any scenario and they picked mine! It was a great game with my kids narrowly winning and a high zombie body count (35 zombies sent to their final resting place).

I like the extra zombies on the board because it creates lot of situations like this one where 3 heroes hiding in the cornfield watch helplessly as Victor is overwhelmed and turned into a zombie.

Later in the game, Sam got separated from his buddies and things were looking grim as the horde converged.

After a hero card that prevented all of the zombies from entering for one turn the zombies burst in upon Sam who had a zombie card played on him that forced him to roll one less fight die than usual. Amazingly, my son rolled like he was in league with the Devil himself - he took 2 wounds but killed 9 of the zombies in the process and survived the encounter.

At the end of the game I had killed two heroes and had the other two down to their last wound as time ran out.

I've made some changes to the wording of my scenario in the original post and added two optional rules - one to make the game harder for the heroes and one to make it harder for the zombies.

Has anybody tried out this scenario? If so, I'm interested to know what you thought about it.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
radioactive zombies look just great !
10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Where are the potato mines?
10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
That sounds so awesome and extremely EPIC! I would love to try this out with my gaming group. We'll have to see if we can squeeze it in some time.
10-17-2012, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 03:18 PM by goodcop2000.)
(10-15-2012 03:13 PM)Phantaskippy Wrote:  Where are the potato mines?

Ha ha, I only used Plants vs Zombies as inspiration for the name of the scenario but now that you mention it, it would be fun to devise a variant with features from the video game (pea shooters, etc.)

(10-15-2012 08:45 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  That sounds so awesome and extremely EPIC! I would love to try this out with my gaming group. We'll have to see if we can squeeze it in some time.

Thanks Staypuft. I think it's fun. It has become my kids' favorite scenario.

10-17-2012, 07:54 PM
This obviously sounds weighted very heavily in favor of the zombies... but that is okay. When you know ahead of time that the scenario is intentionally REALLY brutal on one side or the other, that can actually make it really fun for both sides, even the one getting massacred. It can be fun to bust your butt to see if you can overcome the odds. That is one reason Revenge of the Dead is fun to play as the zombies (who REALLY have the advantage in that case), but even still fun to play as the heroes. It's almost like a fun test to see if you can overcome a seemingly nearly impossible task. ;-)