Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has anyone tried to add a madness meter to ATOE?
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Has anyone tried to add a madness meter to ATOE?
Greetings everyone. I am new to the site but have played ATOE over the last year or so.

In my last play (I typically play Coop) we were doused pretty quickly by the banshee (Sudden Showdown in round 5). In our cleanup my buddy and I were discussing rules and variants, and I mentioned it would be cool if there was a madness meter (rather than wounds) where the Banshees cry would cause madness rather than wounds. There could be a chart of player results (turn on other players, lose a few turns, lose allies, allies turn on player, etc). Has anyone heard or see anything like this?

Granted it would probably be better with the unspeakable horror than the banshee but one step at a time

Thanks in advanced
-W.J.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2012, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 08:11 PM by MoonSylver.)
RE: Has anyone tried to add a madness meter to ATOE?
I have not, but I'd thought in the past a "fear" variant of some kind would be cool, which would be along the same lines. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01

BTW: Welcome!

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
08-29-2012, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 08:16 PM by wisdomknight.)
That would be excellent....
Id be happy to do the graphics and a template for it if someone wants to do a write up
That would be excellent....
Id be happy to do the graphics and a template for it if someone wants to do a write up
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 11:54 PM by vikinglad.)
Welcome to the site, Wasteland Jack. A madness meter would be a fun variant. I like the roll-for-your-madness chart idea too.

There was a ATOE card expansion released called "The Madness" that has a card that makes gives you "The Madness." You then draw random locations for your movement, if I remember correctly. It is one of the worst Mystery cards to draw.
08-30-2012, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 02:45 AM by wisdomknight.)
Im working on a Madness meter right now...setting up a FF meter template.
Anything I should include, naming conventions, etc?
I was thinking making the Madness meter so each player has one.
Also the Lovecraft creatures I am makinng will have a "horror factor"
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...lain-Cards
I will most likely put it in the upper right corner.
That number will bring the meter closer to madness by the number indicted as "horror facter".
Most between 1-5 or so maybe?

The meter will be 0-20 like most FF games meters.
One side 100% sanity the other total madness which = game over for that particular player.

Any input to this?
08-30-2012, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 03:11 AM by wisdomknight.)
BTW encounters will cause the insanity check vs Hero Honor maybe?
The encounters can include minions (maybe a horror factor of 1or 2?) and encounters with the villain (non-shown down) fights (which would be the gig horror factor.

The heroes in the same space and that fight would have to roll to make an Honor check or lose Sanity in the amount of the Villain/Minion horror factor number.

Ok maybe Spirit would be more suitable to check vs Madness...I dont know why I didnt think of that first Zombie03
08-30-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 02:29 PM by Wasteland Jack.)
(08-29-2012 08:09 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  I have not, but I'd thought in the past a "fear" variant of some kind would be cool, which would be along the same lines. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01

BTW: Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, and I agree something like Fear checks (roll against spirit), but if you fail, it takes down sanity (mental wounds) by a level. With each diminishing sanity the player has some sort of ramification, like player gets lost (lose a turn), player startled (drop 1 item), player gets phobia (lose 1 cunning) etc.
(08-30-2012 01:51 AM)wisdomknight Wrote:  I was thinking making the Madness meter so each player has one.

I was originally thinking more like wounds, but they would be spiritual wounds. Each Character would have a different amount based on their background (Soldier or Captain may have 4 or 5, while the playwright may have just 2)

(08-30-2012 01:51 AM)wisdomknight Wrote:  Also the Lovecraft creatures I am makinng will have a "horror factor"
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...lain-Cards
I will most likely put it in the upper right corner.
That number will bring the meter closer to madness by the number indicted as "horror facter".
Most between 1-5 or so maybe?

The meter will be 0-20 like most FF games meters.
One side 100% sanity the other total madness which = game over for that particular player.

Any input to this?

While this is a little grander than I was originally thinking, it could prove very interesting. However, giving a special horror factor to each villain or minion would rule out using any villain but the Lovecraftian ones you are developing. While I like the sound of what you are accomplishing, it sounds like a whole new game mechanic.

I was thinking of something that can be used with the current rule set and with any villain. Like at quick sidenote rule.

"At the beginning of any encounter with the the villain or its minions, all players involved must make a spirit check 5+. If fail, take one sanity wound."

With some obvious modifiers (monster keywords, current weather/daytime conditions, character skills). But something easily remembered by all players.

With your project, would the Darkness meter still be used or is your thought to only use each players sanity meter individually?

(08-29-2012 11:53 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Welcome to the site, Wasteland Jack. A madness meter would be a fun variant. I like the roll-for-your-madness chart idea too.

There was a ATOE card expansion released called "The Madness" that has a card that makes gives you "The Madness." You then draw random locations for your movement, if I remember correctly. It is one of the worst Mystery cards to draw.

I must admit, I have not purchased all the expansions. So I was a bit unaware of this. Thanks for the insight.
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
NP Jack...just thinking outloud Watchmen02
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
NP Jack...just thinking outloud Watchmen02
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
(08-30-2012 03:51 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  NP Jack...just thinking outloud Watchmen02

No worries man...it is an awesome idea! But for what you were suggesting I think there would be some epic planning going on, modifications to game mechanics and such. See my reply to your topic.

I have a strange feeling that ATOE was the afterbirth of some lovecraftian nightmare with it's all around feel and atmosphere. Meanwhile your illustration of the death sphinx is remarkable. I only wish I could draw that well.