Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Hero must give up their turn" ???
03-02-2012, 10:57 PM
RE: "Hero must give up their turn" ???
Think like this... you give up your turn to do someting by your decision...

It's like you give up the first three phases of your turn. Move, Exchange and Ranged Attack
But you must resolve the Fights

However when the zombie player makes you lose a turn... you don't have to resolve your fights because usually the cards says so.

Think the fights as a resolution of turn... not as a part of it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
(03-02-2012 10:57 PM)j0hnnn Wrote:  Think like this... you give up your turn to do someting by your decision...

It's like you give up the first three phases of your turn. Move, Exchange and Ranged Attack
But you must resolve the Fights

However when the zombie player makes you lose a turn... you don't have to resolve your fights because usually the cards says so.

Think the fights as a resolution of turn... not as a part of it.

I agree, thematically it could also be seen as the hero is filling up the gas truck or burning the book and just before he/she has almost completed their task one or more zombies advance on his/her position to feast on their brains. The truck's gas tank is say 3/4th's full and a zombie lunges, clawing at hero who must then fight back and finish the task at hand.

However I have 2 questions after reading this thread.

1) The cards This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth & Bickering say heros lose their turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there). Can "may not do anything at all" be read as literally nothing at all, no items like fire extinguisher or event cards? It wouldn't be a big deal I guess as, to my understanding, cards like extinguisher, rusty keys, tj horsey and the like can be used like event cards (i.e. any time as long as any restrictions like outside space or start of hero turn are met).

Anyone know if the only difference between giving up a turn to gas up truck and lnoe/bickering is not needing to fight zombies in space in case of the latter?

2)The card Hopeless makes a hero chose between losing turn, item or taking wound. it does not say (can not do anything) like Last Night on Earth and Bickering. Is there a difference or should losing a turn to this card be played exactly the same?
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
(03-06-2012 07:11 PM)LUIJOD Wrote:  1) The cards This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth & Bickering say heros lose their turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there). Can "may not do anything at all" be read as literally nothing at all, no items like fire extinguisher or event cards? It wouldn't be a big deal I guess as, to my understanding, cards like extinguisher, rusty keys, tj horsey and the like can be used like event cards (i.e. any time as long as any restrictions like outside space or start of hero turn are met).

The way we play it is items are hero specific and can't be used, but events are shared between all heroes and can be played by anyone at anytime.
If players are missing their turn we do allow another hero to enter that space and "exchange items" though.
03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Fire Extinguisher
Discard to immediately cancel a fight involving the Hero.
or
Discard at any time to move every Zombie in the same or adjacent space as the Hero, one space in any direction (Hero's choice).

Keys
The Hero may ignore the effects of Locked Door.
You may discard the Keys while inside a building to draw 2 new Hero cards.

TJ Thoroughbred
At any time, you may discard this card to immediately move the Hero up to D6 spaces (or 6 spaces if Jenny).

Rosary
While the Hero has this Item, they gain the Keyword Holy.
The Hero may discard this item to take any Event card that is not PLAY IMMEDIATELY out of the Hero discard pile.

These itens are examples of itens that don't require any action to activate, so... they may be activated at any time regardless of being a hero's turn or not.

Wireless Radio
The Hero may give up their Move Action anywhere to reveal and discard cards from the top of the Hero deck until you find an Event
Take that Event into hand.

Fence Post
Double Handed
At the end of the Hero's move, they may make a free Combat attack useing the Fence Post against each Zombie in one adjacent space. If a Zombie wins, no wound is caused to the Hero.
COMBAT BONUS:
The Hero rolls an extra Fight Dice.

Pump Shotgun
RANGE: 2
You may fire at a space within Range. Roll a D6 for each Zombie in that space. Zombies are Hit on the Roll of 3+. Any Hero in that space is unaffected. Each time the Shotgun is fired, roll a D6. On the roll of 1 or 2, the Shotgun is out of ammo (discard).

These ones require an step of the hero turn.

So during a lose a turn event they may not be used, but the first ones can be used as normal, because i read the "at any time" very literally.
03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
(03-06-2012 08:27 PM)j0hnnn Wrote:  So during a lose a turn event they may not be used, but the first ones can be used as normal, because i read the "at any time" very literally.

As do I j0hnnn.

I'm aware that there is such a thing as house rules :P

But I do quite enjoy coming here and playing rules lawyer with you fine folks.

I'm thinking of typing up a self made faq for my group and seeing some of the opinions posted up here help clarify some of the doubts I have over what some of the text on the cards say.

I find some of the language kind of vague, which makes it open to interpretation, which slows down games, especially when my GF (she who must always be Zombies) starts protesting over what can and cant be done via cards. Most cards I'd say are pretty specific but every so often, something just wont be as clear as I'd like it. However the game is loads of fun and we find ourselves playing it quite a bit.

But I digress, from reading the rule book countless times in a attempt to memorize as much of it as possible so as to not need to reference it mid-play, I've come to see losing a turn as defined:

Move Action (Move Spaces, Search, Build Barricades)

Exchange Items

Ranged Attack

Fight Zombies

So I agree with j0hnnn, cards that state: "discard to", "at any time may" and the such should still be considered a legal action, however I disagree with letting heros exchange items as this is considered phase 2 of the hero turn. House Rules not withstanding of course.

If anyone knows of any FFP faq or errata that can clearly state that any item cards with such effects as "discard to", etc are only to be used during that specific hero's turn I'd be very interested in knowing about it!
03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
(03-06-2012 09:18 PM)LUIJOD Wrote:  however I disagree with letting heros exchange items as this is considered phase 2 of the hero turn. House Rules not withstanding of course.

I agree two heros locked in "This may be our last night..." can't exchange with each other, being that's there turn.
But since you can exchange with other people on your turn, regardless of if they've already taken their turn, I think a hero moving in to the locked heros, and say finding a pile of loose clothing *wink wink*, can "exchange" at that point.
That's how we play it anyway.
03-07-2012, 02:21 AM
(03-06-2012 11:54 PM)Wade Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 09:18 PM)LUIJOD Wrote:  however I disagree with letting heros exchange items as this is considered phase 2 of the hero turn. House Rules not withstanding of course.

I agree two heros locked in "This may be our last night..." can't exchange with each other, being that's there turn.
But since you can exchange with other people on your turn, regardless of if they've already taken their turn, I think a hero moving in to the locked heros, and say finding a pile of loose clothing *wink wink*, can "exchange" at that point.
That's how we play it anyway.

Agreed
So 2 heroes locked may not perform any trades... however if a third hero bust into the scene trades are possible between each one of them!
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
This all gives me a headache Insane19

1) The cards This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth & Bickering say heros lose their turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there). Can "may not do anything at all" be read as literally nothing at all, no items like fire extinguisher or event cards? It wouldn't be a big deal I guess as, to my understanding, cards like extinguisher, rusty keys, tj horsey and the like can be used like event cards (i.e. any time as long as any restrictions like outside space or start of hero turn are met).

may not do anything at all....

may1    /meɪ/ Show Spelled[mey] Show IPA
auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person may, 2nd may or ( Archaic ) may·est or mayst, 3rd may; present plural may; past might.
1. (used to express possibility): It may rain.
2. (used to express opportunity or permission): You may enter.
3. (used to express contingency, especially in clauses indicating condition, concession, purpose, result, etc.): I may be wrong but I think you would be wise to go. Times may change but human nature stays the same.

May not do anything at all......to me literaly mean

You can or can not. Its a possibility, not a definite. It does not read, Can not do....

so, its an evil me that thinks heroes can do what ever they want to when this card is-played on them. Alos, they do not need to fight zombies. Yet the way its worded, it could be an option, not a definite.

"This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth"
Play this card at the start of the Hero Turn. Choose any Male and Female pair of characters in the same space. Both characters lose their Hero Turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there).

to much bad wording from FFP. As a Hero i might want to argue that even though LNOE was played on me. We're still saying fire extingusher and keys and such are still ok to use. So I may still search, and shoot, and i dont need to fight Watchmen02

This is why i started this thread. To much for interpetation, and im not trying to play with house rules or incorrectly. Insane19 so sad I am Insane19

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
(03-07-2012 06:20 PM)PJON Wrote:  This all gives me a headache Insane19

may not do anything at all....

may1    /meɪ/ Show Spelled[mey] Show IPA
auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person may, 2nd may or ( Archaic ) may·est or mayst, 3rd may; present plural may; past might.
1. (used to express possibility): It may rain.
2. (used to express opportunity or permission): You may enter.
3. (used to express contingency, especially in clauses indicating condition, concession, purpose, result, etc.): I may be wrong but I think you would be wise to go. Times may change but human nature stays the same.

May not do anything at all......to me literaly mean

You can or can not. Its a possibility, not a definite. It does not read, Can not do....

so, its an evil me that thinks heroes can do what ever they want to when this card is-played on them. Alos, they do not need to fight zombies. Yet the way its worded, it could be an option, not a definite.

"This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth"
Play this card at the start of the Hero Turn. Choose any Male and Female pair of characters in the same space. Both characters lose their Hero Turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there).

to much bad wording from FFP. As a Hero i might want to argue that even though LNOE was played on me. We're still saying fire extingusher and keys and such are still ok to use. So I may still search, and shoot, and i dont need to fight Watchmen02

This is why i started this thread. To much for interpetation, and im not trying to play with house rules or incorrectly. Insane19 so sad I am Insane19

My last shot is...

Lose their turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight zombies there).

the affirmative that follows intend to reference to the phrase lose their turn... no other effects associated...

So nothing that requires a hero activation may be used. However if does not need hero activation may still be used. Got it?

Besides that cards that don't need the hero activation may still be used during the Zombie turn, where T.C.B.O.L.N.O.E. or Bickering already done their effect and the heroes are free from it's influence.
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi jOhnnn. Trust me I have heard everything you said, and it appreciated. I try not to be difficult....Im just me though

I do feel much of the text on the cards could have been worded better. So, it leaves interpetation, or a bunch or rule research. Which I have done.

So, your stating that even when a hero has TCBOLNOE card, or bickering they may still use keys, extingusher, horsey, etc, and does not have to fight zombies.

If a hero desides to lose their turn they may use keys, extingusher, horsey, etc, and does have to fight zombies.

To me lose a turn means lose a turn. Not lose a turn and perform some tricks.

Thats just me. I will chalk this up with playing zombie cards at the start of a turn. Tricks of the trade, good to know. Ty

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05