Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How Many Cards?
02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: How Many Cards?
Think I must agree with Kablecn, can't think of a time when I've had my heroes decked out to win when playing with base game
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I've just got TP today and this is just the thread i was looking for, before I mix all the cards up I wanted to know how it would affect play and on the whole, it doesn't.
However with all the cards there's never going to be a win by the hero's running out of cards, so what use are the zombie cards that say to turn the top 10 over, maybe a house rule should say 20 to help get down the cards better, what you think?
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
(02-06-2013 04:04 PM)spirit Wrote:  I've just got TP today and this is just the thread i was looking for, before I mix all the cards up I wanted to know how it would affect play and on the whole, it doesn't.
However with all the cards there's never going to be a win by the hero's running out of cards, so what use are the zombie cards that say to turn the top 10 over, maybe a house rule should say 20 to help get down the cards better, what you think?

I'm with you, spirit. It is a solution. But 20? Perhaps 25, 30....

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/551d94.jpg[/img]
02-06-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 06:47 PM by alderdust.)
(02-06-2013 06:01 PM)kablebcn Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 04:04 PM)spirit Wrote:  I've just got TP today and this is just the thread i was looking for, before I mix all the cards up I wanted to know how it would affect play and on the whole, it doesn't.

I'm with you, spirit. It is a solution. But 20? Perhaps 25, 30....

I have only had 1 game where the heroes were top decked and that was base game only no expansions added the other times are normally never close. We kind of have a house rule tha winning that way is not allowed...well it is but we keep playing now that we have such large hero decks from all expansions if the deck runs out now of 300+ cards then I would allow a win!. The remove hero cards are there to hopefully get lucky and remove a scenario search card or maybe a Just what I needed. I'm not a fan of changing the discard cause honestly having the heros run out of cards is a shit way to win I much prefer eating hero brains or getting to sun up on the sun track marker.
02-06-2013, 07:08 PM

It will mean that sometimes scenario items will end up in the discard pile, which can of course be a double edged sword
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
(02-06-2013 07:08 PM)Sarge Wrote:  

It will mean that sometimes scenario items will end up in the discard pile, which can of course be a double edged sword

Sometimes they are removed from the game not discarded.
02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I can definitely see what you mean about making it very hard for the Zombie player(s) to ever cause the Hero Deck to be depleted.

Though. to be 100% honest, I personally never liked that method of winning the game anyway, whether I am on the Zombie side or the Hero side. I'm not really sure exactly why, but for some reason it just feels a bit anti-climactic to me. It feels like a bit of a cheap win.

No to mention, it sort of doesn't make sense thematically, which to me is a big part of this game. I mean, if you equate the Hero Deck to being the stuff heroes can find as they are searching for stuff throughout town to help them survive, then running out of stuff doesn't necessarily spell their demise. There is still a fighting chance. In fact, sometimes that could make for an exciting conclusion. The heroes are desperately fighting their way through town, trying to survive. Then, suddenly, at the 11th hour, when everything seems to almost finally be at an end, they run out of supplies/weapons/etc. All hope seems lost, but can they make one last desperate effort to survive, or will the undead horde destroy them, and add them to their shambling team of decaying doom?
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think getting to the bottom of the hero deck is a fair way for the zombies to win, but with cards that say turn top ten cards over there really wouldn't be a purpose for these cards without these rules. Admittedly it does mean that 10 cards get put into the discard pile but then that's 10 more cards to search for in the discard pile, it seems like lose, lose for the zombies with this card now . Now maybe if those 10 cards got removed from play altogether then it might make sense Watchmen02
02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Sometimes it is good to discard hero events which is very rare it gets picked up from the discard pile and normally most of the remove 10 cards from hero deck say from the game not to put in discard pile.
02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
True. True. Though, honestly, that is the nature of the game. That is one of the things I like about this game. You just never know how things will go. Sometimes, a card/action/whatever will really help you out, and another time the very same card/action/whatever can wind up really working against you.

For example, sometimes the zombies getting a card that forces the heroes to discard the top ten cards winds up not really very much helping or hurting anybody.

Sometimes, it forces the heroes to discard one or several of the scenario search items they need, and some of those times, they don't have a building search ability to bail them out of that and have to hope for one of those "Just What I Needed" type cards.

Sometimes, it forces the heroes to discard one or several of the scenario search items they need, but unfortunately for the zombies, that actually makes it EASIER on the heroes, because one of the buildings has that very pickup ability.

So, you truly never know how things will go. The "Discard the top 10 hero cards" type thingies are not entirely meaningless once your deck is so big that it will probably never run out.

Plus, honestly, it is just fun as the zombies to say "HA HA! Now you lose these ten items," and, conversely, stinks when you are the heroes. LOL! So, it is just fun.