Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas for new buildings/locations
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Ideas for new buildings/locations
Here are some of the buildings and locations I'm working on for the new L-shaped tiles I'm designing.

Hardware Store - large-ish building... Pick Up: any hand weapon.

Locksmith - small building. Pick up: Rusty Keys, or (roll a die: pick up Keys on 4+). Note: this is to prevent the exploit of just picking up the keys over and over again and discarding them right away for the 2 cards, which would effectively mean you could search for 2 cards every turn, which would be broken. This way you either have to go outside to use the keys, or you'll get the regular keys approximately once every two turns.

Parking Lot: large outside area surrounding some store (e.g. the Hardware Store). Pick up: shopping cart (Note: new item. Carries four additional items, for a net gain of three. Subtracts two from the Hero's movement. Might up the number of items depending on playtesting. The Backpack carries 3 items, and a shopping cart is way bigger than a backpack, but I worry too many items will be unbalanced.)

Fire Station - Medium sized building. Pick Up: Fire Extinguisher or Fire Axe.

Sports Store - Small building. Pick Up: Baseball Bat

I'm sure others will come to mind, but this is what I have so far. I have ideas for other buildings/areas but I haven't figured out yet what I want the pickups or special rules to be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2011, 02:23 AM
RE: Ideas for new buildings/locations
I don't know why, but I kind of want an Orphanage building just for scenario ideas... Zombie17

My concerns about the shopping cart is that some people are REALLY good at just sitting in one place, and having tons of items at their disposal might get really exploitable..

I don't know if the humans really need another firearm, but maybe a hunting store with hunting rifle / composite bow?
06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
I have to agree with Magravan here. The heroes have enough oportunities as it is to get firearms/weapons. (sherifs office, hangar, pick up any item from discard pile, pick 2 cards, ...)

The shoppingcart I would ditch, doesn't seem practical walking around with that thing in grass and looted/broken spaces (I know I'm a sucker for "realisme" hehe)
Maybe change that to "backpack pick up"?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 01:04 PM by Mechanik.)
(06-09-2011 07:11 AM)Emp Wrote:  I have to agree with Magravan here. The heroes have enough oportunities as it is to get firearms/weapons. (sherifs office, hangar, pick up any item from discard pile, pick 2 cards, ...)

Does that mean you think the Hardware Store is a bad idea? I put it in because so far there's very little that lets you pick up hand weapons, and it seems thematically appropriate. The large size (right now I have it as a 3 square x 2 square) makes it a little harder to defend.

Quote:The shoppingcart I would ditch, doesn't seem practical walking around with that thing in grass and looted/broken spaces (I know I'm a sucker for "realisme" hehe)

Well hence the reduction in movement... -1 movement from Heavy Rain sucks already, but this is -2... you have to roll a 4+ just to move more than one space!

Quote:Maybe change that to "backpack pick up"?

That might work better for a camping store/walmart/whatever. It certainly doesn't make sense to pick up a backpack in a parking lot :-p

(06-09-2011 02:23 AM)Magravan Wrote:  I don't know why, but I kind of want an Orphanage building just for scenario ideas... Zombie17

I can just imagine... Pick Up: Orphan token. (Sacrifice an Orphan Token to prevent a wound from a Zombie) Muwhahahahahah

Quote:My concerns about the shopping cart is that some people are REALLY good at just sitting in one place, and having tons of items at their disposal might get really exploitable..

Keep in mind that there will only be one of these in the deck. In order to pick one up, you'd have to venture outside to the parking lot, where you are vulnerable. This is all assuming it has hit the discard in the first place. Most of the game you'll never see it unless you get a card that lets you hunt for it. BTW I didn't explicitly mention it, but you would only be allowed one cart at a time on a given Hero (in case someone gets crazy and merges multiple decks or something).

If anything I think it's more balanced than the backpack because it actually has a penalty. The backpack has no consequences whatsoever, and in my opinion lets you carry way more than it really should. Like seriously... I can carry a chainsaw, gasoline, and dynamite, all in one backpack? WTF?

Quote:I don't know if the humans really need another firearm, but maybe a hunting store with hunting rifle / composite bow?

I dunno... the Gun Shop already lets you get the Hunting Rifle. Not sure that more gun pick ups are needed. I added the Hardware Store because there seemed to be a lack of hand weapon pick ups.
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Take a look at the one big fan expansion we have on here and you'll see someone's already done a quite swank firehall already. (Not to discourage you, just wanted to point it out.)
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
(06-09-2011 01:57 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Take a look at the one big fan expansion we have on here and you'll see someone's already done a quite swank firehall already. (Not to discourage you, just wanted to point it out.)

I'll check it out. Thanks for the pointer.

I haven't yet dug into all the other fan expansions so I might re-tread some previously explored ground.
06-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I like adding the hand-weapon pick-up at the HW store. I like hand weapons because they help during your phase and the zombie phase when fighting. Ranged weapons, although safer, are not as important to have in my opinion. There should be more pick-up opportunities for hand weapons.
06-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Where's the fanmade expansion?

But anyway, I love the idea of the shopping cart! It kind of makes me smile.
06-10-2011, 09:31 AM
ah, I didn't see the movement reduction on the shopping cart Watchmen02

As for picking up the backpack, I meant in the hardware store.
Not sure even what a hardware store is really, overthere in the US you guys seem to have seperate "special" stores for everything manmade Zombie17

I am the reason God stopped watching.
06-10-2011, 11:56 AM
(06-10-2011 09:31 AM)Emp Wrote:  As for picking up the backpack, I meant in the hardware store.
Not sure even what a hardware store is really, overthere in the US you guys seem to have seperate "special" stores for everything manmade Zombie17

Primarily they sell tools, construction/home repair supplies, and gardening supplies. Some also branch out and become more or less department stores that sell general household items.

BTW I'm in Canada :-P