Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LnoE vs MoM
09-26-2012, 09:34 PM
RE: LnoE vs MoM
great thread!
I love hearing everyone's opinions on these games.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes, I've made a similar comment on BGG, MoM is a game that drives players to either end of the enjoyment spectrum. They either love it or hate it. There's little middle ground.

I think MoM is one of the best co-op board games to come out in the last few years. I'm a long time Call of Cthulhu RPG player, and MoM does an exceptional job of capturing the feel of CoC, while adding lots of 'bling' with the boards and miniatures.

It is a narrative experience though, as OD said in an earlier post, (I'm paraphrasing) its about the journey, not the destination. I have had much success in getting mOM to the table over pen and paper RPGs with my family. The game just looks beautiful when its set up, and the kids are tickled by the miniatures (painted of course) on the board. A Keeper who encourages players to read the flavour text on the cards, and does so himself, really contributes to the atmosphere of the game. The players should come away feeling that they have enjoyed the game regardless of a win or loss. If they had fun doing either, the Keeper has done his job well.

All of the games mentioned here can attribute their lineage to HQ/AHQ/WHQ in one way or another. But those games have their roots firmly set down in the realm of early RPGs like AD&D and CoC.

To give some love to FFP as well, they have crafted some brilliant games with rich theme, great components, and knockout mechanics. I've yet to play an FFP game and not enjoy it. LNoE was actually the first zombie themed game I ever bought, and it and all it's expansions take pride of place in my collection with AToE (awesome in every way), IfOS, and CoPE. The only FFP game I haven't bought is FanG, simply because my budget was tight. It will be mine one day... Oh yes, it will be mine... Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
10-15-2012, 10:53 AM
LNOE is the thing !

(02-05-2012 05:30 PM)SovTech Wrote:  I prefer LNoE to MoM and Descent. Mostly because of the theme, but also because of the replayability and that there are fewer rule flaws in LNoE. However, I immensely enjoyed Descent for many years, but MoM falls between two chairs for me, namely an rpg and a boardgame. Every time I play it I am wishing that I either played Arkham Horror, or Call of Cthulhu...

Cheerio,
ST
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
LNoE is perfect for me because it doesn't cross too close to an RPG to make me want to ditch the game and write up a scenario.

Anything more involved I just can't help but think that I traded money, open ended storytelling and massive customization to save the time of writing a campaign that the game makes me wish I had written.

Sadly I stink as a zombie player because I tend to GM more than I play the zombies, and end up forgetting to use cards.
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Lordsavoy for bringing this thread back from the dead. And thank you OD for sharing this insightful review. It's reviews like this that make me feel extremely content with my choice of game.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2012, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 01:38 AM by Karden5048.)
I just played the till death do us part expansion and it was the most fun I have had playing it. It seems to give the keeper plenty to do and the heroes a good challenge.
I want to try the other expansions to see if they are equally as good.