Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Local LNOE Game Night?
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Local LNOE Game Night?
Has anybody ever gone about setting up a local Last Night On Earth game night as a way to introduce new people to the game, as well meet new friends to play the game with from time to time?

I have been giving serious thought to doing that. The only friends I have near me are not as into zombies as I am. I wouldn't want to ask them to play all the time as they might not enjoy it quite as much as I would. Granted, it is still a pretty fun game, so I hope they do anyway.

The friends who introduced us to the game live close enough to hang out from time to time, but too far to do it all time time. I am dying (no pun intended) to meet some people nearby who can play the game with me maybe once a month or something.

Has anybody done this? I've never done something like this. Anybody have suggestions on how to get something like this started?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 04:51 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Local LNOE Game Night?
I don't know what it's like where you're from but over here most of the board game shops are little places and most of the proprietors will know the whereabouts of a local game club. Over here it's Monday's you just turn up on your own or with friends and game it's also a good opportunity to try other games. Failing that hold your own game night. Learn the rules well. Use the music for atmosphere whilst you're setting up and play Die Zombie Die. Explain going hand to hand with no weapons is a no-no and tell them to avoid being trapped in buildings (basically what I'm saying is don't massacre them on their first game.) Any other related stuff will help. Maybe Zombie related beer we have Skullsplitter. Maybe some horror decor e.g coffins and decapitated heads. You could dress as a Zombie. Watch a fun/cool Zombie DVD after. This is all off the top of my head. Hope some of it helps. I get carried away, sometimes literally!

Your friends may love it or they may get you sectioned, either way it's win!Zombie17
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 02:56 PM by mqstout.)
The few shops around here that have room for that dedicate it to the big-bucks: Magic, miniatures games ("preferably" a GW one) and D&D/Pathfinder. These move more product.

But, I introduce new people to the game all the time at parties/gatherings I host. LNOE's the best "gateway" game, ever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I will take that into consideration. I actually don't think we have any game shops around us, at least as far as I know. However, we do have a local comic book shop that does stuff sort of like this from time to time. I could always see if they may have room for something like that. I'm not sure if they require you to pay for it, though. I'll have to find out.

Honestly, my ultimate goal in this is just to meet a few new local people I can play LNOE with from time to time. I just don't know any other way to go about doing that other than to set up a game day at something like a comic shop, just to start off with and hope to meet a few new friends through that. I mean, obviously I don't want to just invite complete strangers to my house. LOL!

Like I said, the only friends I have close enough to do something like that aren't as into zombies as I am, so it wouldn't feel right always using them just to feed my Last Night On Earth obsession. LOL!
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
If you are desparate to play then I do believe people have in the past arranged web style sessions for games, completed turn by turn throughout the course of a week or so.

So they are slower "go by go" scenarios. If you don't get what I mean then Youtube the Mansions of Madness "watch it played" videos.
This is by far not the best idea and will be frustrating to attempt (such as one person handling the deck and PMs to the players to choose cards and order...).
It worked with MoM as I felt it is quite linear in it's turns. Whereas this game is not.

However, if anyone has the expertise, inclination and energy to attempt to try this then count me in..
It may even mean videoing go by go and posting..

Like I say, a logistical nightmare!!!
I am not 100% convinced this game to handle such a play type.

Anybody have experience here?

Not the face!! Not the face!!
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
(06-14-2012 05:49 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Like I said, the only friends I have close enough to do something like that aren't as into zombies as I am, so it wouldn't feel right always using them just to feed my Last Night On Earth obsession. LOL!

Have you tried introducing the game to these people? I have a couple of friends who once told me they hated board games and other nerdy stuff. I introduced the game for my birthday party and they loved it. Unfortunately one of them is based in Scotland at the time of writing but once he returns this summer we'll have a lot of catching up and brain eating to do Watchmen02

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
The online playing is a neat idea, but it definitely is not for me. I'd just find it frustrating to play any game that slowly and over that long a period of time, unless maybe if it were something that were specifically designed for that sort of thing. Not even sure I'd like it then. LOL! But, it is definitely a really cool idea for anybody who may like it.

(06-14-2012 07:27 PM)scarydk Wrote:  
(06-14-2012 05:49 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Like I said, the only friends I have close enough to do something like that aren't as into zombies as I am, so it wouldn't feel right always using them just to feed my Last Night On Earth obsession. LOL!

Have you tried introducing the game to these people? I have a couple of friends who once told me they hated board games and other nerdy stuff. I introduced the game for my birthday party and they loved it. Unfortunately one of them is based in Scotland at the time of writing but once he returns this summer we'll have a lot of catching up and brain eating to do Watchmen02

Oh, I absolutely do plan to try. In fact, my best friend that I've had since, like first grade, is not really all that into zombies, but at the same time not really all that NOT into zombies if you know what I mean. In other words, it isn't like he dislikes that kinda stuff, he's just not obsessed with it like I am. Plus, we love to play board games and do so almost every time we get together. So, I am definitely going to introduce this one to him next time we hang out and keep my fingers crossed that he loves it enough to want to play it all the time even if he's not zombie obsessed like me.
06-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Have you looked on, say, BGG to see if there's any local gaming groups near you? What I'd almost suggest in your case is finding a bigger gaming group, then seeing if there's anyone within *that* group who'd be willing to meet up separately for LNoE-specific gaming.

Out of curiosity, what part of the world are you in, anyways?
06-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Start your own local gaming club. Advertise, zombie walk through the streets. Let people know they can have their brains eaten at your place.

If no one shows up I say flee the place. Move somewhere with a decentgaming community.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
(06-15-2012 03:22 AM)HikariStarshine Wrote:  Have you looked on, say, BGG to see if there's any local gaming groups near you? What I'd almost suggest in your case is finding a bigger gaming group, then seeing if there's anyone within *that* group who'd be willing to meet up separately for LNoE-specific gaming.

Out of curiosity, what part of the world are you in, anyways?

BGG? Board Game Geek? I had to take a minute to figure that one out. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give that a try. Does BGG have a section for locating your local gaming groups? That sort of thing is exactly what I'm looking to find. That would be perfect. Find a bigger gaming group to start off with, then find a friend or two from that group who could meet separately.

I live in Hatboro, PA. It's basically suburban Philadelphia (in that Philly is the closest big city).

(06-15-2012 06:56 AM)scarydk Wrote:  Start your own local gaming club. Advertise, zombie walk through the streets. Let people know they can have their brains eaten at your place.

Yeah, that is sort of what I am thinking of doing. Starting my own club, anyways. Though, if I can find one that already exists, that would be best. The reason is what I really want is to just find one or two people with whom I can plan to meet up from time to time to play. So, it would be easier if one already existed, that way I could make a friend or two from that and we could have our own game days separate from the club. Not that I'm trying to steal members from somebody else's club, mind you. LOL! I'm talking about doing it independantly of their club. They could still feel free to do both, if the person so desired.