Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Most powerful card in the game"
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
"Most powerful card in the game"
My younger brother in law has a tendency of lobbing out accusations of cards being overpowered, ridiculous, or broken. It is rather annoying, especially since whatever side he's on the cards change.

But it left me thinking, what would you say is the most powerful hero or zombie card in the game, and why?

I love the hunting rifle as heroes, but Mr. Explosion townsperson from Timber Peak is ridiculously good.

Terror at Timber peak is also really powerful, you draw that early before they are set up to cancel it and those cards make all the difference.

My choice right now would honestly be the new Extra Ammo card. Using that with the pistol or police Shotgun can be absolutely devastating. Duct taped pistols with extra ammo, now that is ridiculous. (or even two pistols with extra ammo and rapid fire) Being able to pull it back out at the gun shop or with the upgrade is crazy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2012, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 02:33 PM by ForestRunner.)
RE: "Most powerful card in the game"
On the Zombie side there are cards which can make short work of the heroes as well, so it isn't always in favour of the heroes. Just two potential gamebreakers from TP:

Vicious attack: Roll an extra fight dice. If the Zombie wins the fight, they do an extra wound to the Hero (student instakill).

Unrelenting Attack: Play at the end of a Fight with a Zombie to let that Zombie fight again (this is NOT a Fight card so can be lethal in combo with one).

Twice now, I've killed off Nikki on turn 1 without her even having the chance to move with the cards above (once each) combined with movement cards (Relentless Advance/Shamble). The spawn pit adjacent to the Tavern also does Nikki no favours in this regard.

The pistol and police shot gun can be dealt with using Out of Luck or Pulled Away as the wording on the additional ammo card is specific around the ammo check rolls rather than discarding a token (or card itself) instead of the gun item when it's lost.

Above said, the actual question can be difficult to answer about the most powerful card. I believe any card can be powerful dependent on the situation, especially for TP, not to mention some of the combos you can put together for both sides.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Timber Peak, sadly, does feel "more powerful" than LNOE.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
(10-23-2012 01:54 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Timber Peak, sadly, does feel "more powerful" than LNOE.

I actually don't mind this aspect of TP. It makes it more unpredictable and as players we essentially ride on every turn wondering what twist awaits next.

Page 3 of the rulebook does state it was designed to be more aggressive than LNOE - mission accomplished I guess.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi, I am not to familiar with Timber Peaks, i have had the chance to play it though.

I think The Blessed Item, and Smell of Brains have the potential to be game changers.

Like ForestRunner said. It how you can use the cards in combination, that makes them effective.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Im going to say JUST WHAT I NEED is the over powered card, but its also a necessary evil to allow a quick find from the deck.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2012, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2012 09:07 PM by samuraitrev.)
I can't comment on the TP stuff as it hasn't arrived yet...

The Zombie Card Oh the Horror! is horrible. It gives the Z player an extra 3 cards. I block that whenever I get the chance.

Favorite or most powerfull Hero Card for me has to be the Fire Extinguisher. I have won scenarios with that card when using it at the right time.
10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
(10-23-2012 09:06 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I can't comment on the TP stuff as it hasn't arrived yet...

The Zombie Card Oh the Horror! is horrible. It gives the Z player an extra 3 cards. I block that whenever I get the chance.

Favorite or most powerfull Hero Card for me has to be the Fire Extinguisher. I have won scenarios with that card when using it at the right time.

yeah, i know. I had some one give it a Blessing and totally dominated the game.

10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I can't necessarily say which I think are the most powerful cards. There are so many that are just bad arse cool. But, there are some that I definitely put on the list...

(10-23-2012 09:06 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I can't comment on the TP stuff as it hasn't arrived yet...

I would agree with both of these. Especially "Oh the Horror." As the Zombie Player, I LOVE getting that one. If you are the ZP and you get that one, DO NOT WASTE IT. ;-) Use the extra cards. You don't get to carry them to the next round.

For the zombies, I also love "The Smell of Brains." When played during a fight, if the zombie wounds the hero, all zombies within a range of two spaces enter the space. That is BRUTAL!

For the heroes, two of my favorites are the chainsaw (especially considering you automatically kill the zombie if you win) and the hedge trimmers. If you can grab the hedge trimmers and make way for a space with a ton of zombies in it, it is AWESOME! You get one extra fight dice for every zombie in your space. Meaning, literally, if you have 5 zombies in your space, you get 5 extra fight dice.
10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
(10-24-2012 08:40 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  If you can grab the hedge trimmers and make way for a space with a ton of zombies in it, it is AWESOME! You get one extra fight dice for every zombie in your space. Meaning, literally, if you have 5 zombies in your space, you get 5 extra fight dice.

I dont see the fun in the Hedge Trimmer. Ok, yes 5 Zombie gets you 5 extra dice, then 4 Zombies 4 dice, 3 Zombies and so on......

All you have to do is Hate the Living, or roll better then them. The Chainsaw is a waste unless you have gasoline.

I think the Meat Clever and maybe a Bat, or with the Chain saw or some other extra die weapon, can yeild you better than the Hedge Trimmer.

But yes. The Smell of Brains is awesome.