Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Movement alternatives?
09-21-2010, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2010 07:34 PM by zombie67.)
RE: Movement alternatives?
(09-21-2010 04:30 PM)mqstout Wrote:  You need thematics? Let's give the man thematics as to why movement varies turn to turn! There are dozens of tropes we can find here.

* Trip over something.
* Dodge a nearby zombie lunge.
* Search for and find a useless item, discard.
* Uneven terrain.
* Brief paralysis with fear.
* Taking time to shout/coordinate with the other heroes.
* Being skanky.
* Shoving the boob flop back into the sports bra.
* Catching your breath after sprinting last turn from one building to another.
* Generally being cautious.

and don't forget "I am down to my last wound and bleeding profusely but still up running around like a Gazelle. There just no stopping me!!!" Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
As gavin said, "adrenaline" answers that!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I still think it's a decent idea to try and implement. Part of the fun of the game is it's ability to be changed.
09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Us Old Farts probably should be clocked in at 4 sq per turn.Zombie02

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
One thing I could suggest to make this work and keep it realistic is, adding a weight value to items. So if a hero was carrying a sledgehammer, their movement would be reduced by 2. If they just a flare gun, reduced by 1. Something along those lines
11-16-2010, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2010 04:03 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
Yeah, there are so many reasons why a Hero would move less or more. Figure:

1: has to sneak that turn, freaked out and checking for a chance to run past the zombies.
2-4: normal movement for someone in a town full of undead. Don't attract their attention!
5+: sprint.

Options:
-You could roll 2d3. They won;t be slow all the time nor run.
OR
-Let the person have a +2 after the move roll, but any zombies in line of sight get an immediate one square move towards that character. This could alter strategy and tactics, drawing zombies away.
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
alot of this might overcomplicate movement. right now it's just random.. so far the hero can at least pace the zombies on a low roll..

soundguy
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
I think that this game was meant to have an element of luck to it. Even look at most Zombie movies. They seem to have really bad luck and then later suddenly stumble upon an armory or working army jeep or something of the like. If this game is truly trying to embody these films, then this element of luck has to stay. If you really don't want a board game with luck, then you will probably have to play a different game like Puerto Rico or something.

As a final note though, I bet flying frog has play tested all these movement ideas, since board games need to be played A LOT to ensure any sort of balance, and they chose this one, most likely because it is the most balanced. Any alteration would undo the work they did.
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
(11-17-2010 04:14 PM)soundguy Wrote:  alot of this might overcomplicate movement. right now it's just random.. so far the hero can at least pace the zombies on a low roll..

soundguy

(06-13-2012 06:50 PM)evilfungus Wrote:  I think that this game was meant to have an element of luck to it. Even look at most Zombie movies. They seem to have really bad luck and then later suddenly stumble upon an armory or working army jeep or something of the like. If this game is truly trying to embody these films, then this element of luck has to stay. If you really don't want a board game with luck, then you will probably have to play a different game like Puerto Rico or something.

My sentiments exactly.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 07:59 PM by soundguy.)
yep... and after many games of this.. i think it works fine. lets face it.. when walking in a group.. someone is always stopping to tie their shoe or tripping in the woods.. loose footing.. so party movement may be all over the place. the fleet footed athletic outdoorsy types are always more spry than the couch muffin types. and tat's how the dice portray it.

as for zed movement.. cards like shamble can make them more menacing just like the movies.. etc.
yep... and after many games of this.. i think it works fine. lets face it.. when walking in a group.. someone is always stopping to tie their shoe or tripping in the woods.. loose footing.. so party movement may be all over the place. the fleet footed athletic outdoorsy types are always more spry than the couch muffin types. and tat's how the dice portray it.

as for zed movement.. cards like shamble can make them more menacing just like the movies.. etc.