Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need some Zombie player tips
08-08-2011, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 09:56 PM by thegamelord.)
RE: Need some Zombie player tips
there are a couple of posts on here already addressing this issue, but here are the tips I use.

Cycle your hand try to play at least 1 card every turn to keep fresh ones coming to your hand, don't worry about saving cards for the right moment because because God only knows what or if that moment will come.

Try to go for the weak link there's always someone who rolls low movement or goes off by themself swarm and kill.

Use the sun counter to your advantage as time starts to run out the heroes will being to panic and will try splitting off rather then staying in a group.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Meh, it's all just luck with killing heroes, both from rolls and drawn cards. Get the right cards and the Heroes don't stand a chance.

Heroes aren't supposed to be easy to kill though... it makes them even harder to kill if they're watching each others' back.

Best you can do is try to anticipate their moves and get your zombies into position to intercept as best you can. Block routes of escape, corner them, then rip them to shreds.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-08-2011, 11:59 PM
It sounds like you still aren't fighting properly, whenever a zombie wins a fight they give a hero a wound, no doubles necessary and they win on ties, because of this zombies normally only roll 1 die. (once again this is all true unless a card or ability is used) Are you playing with these rules? (if not, please re-read the rules) Zombies are dangerous, the heroes should be fearing them. Only heroes need doubles to wound a zombie, not the other way around.

for the guns it sounds like pretty bad luck. Didn't the heroes ever run out of ammo? The only time guns ever get too ridiculous in my games is when the sheriffs office or gun shop is on the board and there are several guns in the discard pile (that's why I try to leave zombies defending them at all times), if they did abuse those places there is little a ZP can do other than pour on the pressure hard enough that they evacuate the building. Each gun has a condition in which it runs out of ammo (thus discarded), make sure you weren't playing the guns wrong.

I personally have had the misfortune of running into battle with a pitchfork and chainsaw against 2 zombies and having my healthy youth die, they rolled a lot of 6's. So, you should be doing a lot more damage than you are saying.
08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
You may be getting some unlucky rolls, but definitely make sure that your heroes are making ammo rolls after their ranged attacks. With the hunting rifle, that means after their ranged attack phase (so, if they shoot twice, after the SECOND shot); with the shotgun, the same (e.g., if they shoot three zombies in the same space, they take all three shots first). The pistol is even better, since it takes a four or higher to even hit, and the gun is lost on a roll of one or two, which means that if they miss you, chances are good they lose the gun, too.

Even when my heroes win, they usually run out of ammo on a fairly regular basis against me. Cards like resilient (force the heroes to discard a gun after killing a zombie with it) and unstoppable (selected zombie cannot be killed by ranged attacks this turn) come in very handy to help them run out of ammo that much faster.

Just remember, when the heroes use Zombie Hunger against you, you're getting one or more chances to make them regret it. They may roll an amazing streak, but those wounds add up.

If they're playing Becky and the Loner card pops up, throw it on her so that she can't end her movement in the same space as another hero - other heroes can come to her, but it forces your heroes to think a lot harder about their movement.

Getting cards like Growing Hunger (all zombies roll an extra fight dice until a hero dies/becomes a zombie hero) or Cornered (zombies roll an extra fight dice, but heroes win on ties) in play can also give you an edge during fights, Urgh, Brains, and Undead Hate the Living are crucial, and cards that cancel hero turns can shut down some of your players' strategies.

If you wanted to, you could write a brief log of your next game, noting things like movement, dice rolls, combat phases, and cards played, and we could provide some feedback on that.
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I prefer being Zombies (check out my game reports in The Tomb!) They win in our games most times.

This is what I do. Ten ways to create Hell For Heroes

1) It's already been said but it's the most important part. Cycle through your cards if you can't use it that turn ditch it. (You can discard 1 card per turn, before you draw your Zombie cards)

2) If they've got guns remember the Heroes can't shoot you through walls unless they are stood next to them.

3) Don't group your Zombies in one square. Shotguns, Dynamite etc. tend to wipe them out.

4) Don't be too concerned with the Revolver it's a 50/50 kill and has 1/3 of a chance to discard.

5) I always go to kill the students they're weak...

6) Try to trap the Heroes it's always good if you have 2 Zombies. 1 to attack them and 1 in the door way so when they want to escape they have to run straight into some rotten arms.

7) Always try to get Heroes and board sections picked randomly. Otherwise Heroes tend to go for Jake, Sheriff and Sam. Also Gun Shop and Police Station.

8) If they Do get the Gun Shop and/or the Police Station put a Zombie inside the doorway (saves it being shot at range) That way they know chances are they have to go in and possibly get wounded or walk up to the wall next to it possibly miss and get attacked in the Zombie turn. Hit these buildings with Taken over if you ever get Zombie's choice. Just having that element of risk involved for the Heroes can tend to put them off...

9) Just keep gaming you will find your and their playing style and work out what they do. If they bunch up swarm them. If they split take out the weak ones. Remember if you're playing against 1 player once they lose a character they are gone. They don't get another Hero. (Unless there is the Heroes Replenish rule in the scenario)

10) If you ever get a free hour re-read the basic rule set, all of it, don't rush. When I first read it I missed things it's possible you did too!

Hope this helps and happy gamingWatchmen02
08-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I agree with re-reading the rules. I hadn't read my rule book front to cover since I popped the box open years ago. Sat down and re-read them about a week ago and I found out I'd completely forgotten two or three things(such as making heroes into zombie heroes every time a player loses their last hero.)

It's also good to read through the cards once in a while... I skimmed the shotgun text the first time I played and proceeded to roll for it like the revolver regarding out of ammo conditions for a few months before I actually read it and realized the to-hit roll and ammo roll were completely separate.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-23-2011, 02:47 AM
I think that one major mistake that people playing zombies make is treating their zombies like they are heroes. If I lose 5 zombies making them drop their pump shotgun or pistol (where they can't easily pick it back up), I consider that zombies well spent. Especially if you are playing a Zombie Autospawn scenario, treat them like the fodder that they are, and realize that every hero card that you force them to play, every ammo check they have to make, and every hand weapon break check, is all slowing down their game... and in most scenarios, that's enough to force them to get desperate and stupid later on in the game.

Also, definitely reiterating the cycling of cards. Ideally, the only time that you hold onto a card is a MAJOR game changing card that you are CERTAIN to be able to use. Last Night on Earth is a great card, but if they make you waste 5 turns before you can play it, they've basically cost you 5 cards for that effect... There are very, very few times that it is worth it to cost 5 cards... (I do like the one that allows Zombies to use a weapon from the Heroes' Graveyard, because if there is an instant kill or guaranteed kill in there, you can drop a Sam with full life... That's one of the few cards I hang onto for more than it takes to dump it.)

One card that I held onto recently was Locked Doors. She had a T.J. Thoroughbred, and I knew she was going to be making her play within a few turns... so she used T.J. and found herself riding headlong into a locked door. Even if it wasn't a great tactical advantage, the thought of her riding face first into the door was just too good to pass up Zombie17
08-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Whenever I play as the zombies (which is all the time), there comes a point where a Hero can find a hole in my row and zombie and pass through completely unchallenged.

Learning to move your zombies in a block or line formation that prevents Hero movement is something that I'm still learning to effectively do. It's also your most reliable and useful weapon. Block all exits, and then it is so easy to kill a Hero!
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
(08-23-2011 04:41 AM)colormage1 Wrote:  Whenever I play as the zombies (which is all the time), there comes a point where a Hero can find a hole in my row and zombie and pass through completely unchallenged.

Learning to move your zombies in a block or line formation that prevents Hero movement is something that I'm still learning to effectively do. It's also your most reliable and useful weapon. Block all exits, and then it is so easy to kill a Hero!

Blocking heroes is good, but there is also the tactic that if you leave one opening that can easily be closed on the following turn or requires a long path. You can expect atleast 1 hero to have a bad roll and be stuck behind. Then you can close the net on the lone hero or two. Divide and conquer, good sir.