Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OD Returns Again
10-13-2023, 04:18 PM
RE: OD Returns Again
I did some highlights this AM. Vomit Brown (one of my old GW paint pots still holding on)
for the leathers & a Dragon Blood,Magma Orange for the Tunics. The metal bits didn't
need any as the Dark tone wash created some & I didn't want the armor bits to look bright.

I also gave the bases a coat of Uniform Grey & tomorrow I'll drybrush on some Ash Grey.
Unlike Sam I don't do much creative stuff with them. Basically I paint bases up the colors
that the figs will be standing on, thus for Black Plague it's grey to match a lot of the Board Tiles.

My new LED desk Lamp got me through but if I ever attempt a big project again I'll need to
get a real artist light.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2023, 05:59 PM
Well done, OD. I've enjoyed reading your project notes as you've worked through painting the orcs. I wonder what's on your painting table next and what game it will be used in?

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
10-14-2023, 12:50 PM
Alas nothing (yet) I have all the painted figs I need for the Games I have painted.
All the unpainted figs belong to Games/Expansions that would require a massive project to
paint up( Cthulhu:Death May Die, Rise of the Moloch, Court of the Dead,Blade Born Warbands).

I do have Gears of War 50-60% painted which has been waiting for at least 5+ years to finish
(I have no excuse* the COGS are done but I did a lot of conversions to make all the different types
of Locust figs have the correct weapons (needed 3 Core boxes to get enough figs).So, maybe now's
the time? I really like the Game but I can't play with half finished figs.

* I do have a small excuse I spray base coated everything black & they all came out tacky. It took about
3 years for the figs to dry.

OD

10-14-2023, 04:02 PM
I dry brushed on Ash Grey on the bases & the Orcs are finished. I'll let them set a week
to really dry & then give a shot of Gloss Finish followed up the next day with Matt Finish.

OD

10-15-2023, 12:38 PM
Haha! Zombie17 I'm the same, I can't game with half finished or unpainted figures. I think you should get the Gears of War project up and running again.

Happy gaming and paintingWatchmen02

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
11-04-2023, 10:10 PM
I hate having to buy painting supplies but you gotta do what you gotta do!
I just ordered a new artist light so I'll be able to see to paint again.

So I can have a go to finish up my GoW Locus figs. I just hope I won't
need to order paints.

OD

11-05-2023, 11:20 PM
(11-04-2023 10:10 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I hate having to buy painting supplies but you gotta do what you gotta do!
I just ordered a new artist light so I'll be able to see to paint again.

So I can have a go to finish up my GoW Locus figs. I just hope I won't
need to order paints.

OD

Needs must. Keep up the painting sir!

11-12-2023, 05:52 PM
A pre-Boomer Dwarf struggles with the 21st Century Tech.

As previously mentioned, my Artist Lamp died on me & I was looking for a replacement.
My old lamp was from the 1970's & was an impressive piece of Industrial engineering.
A heavy steel double-jointed support armature holding a sealed brass cylinder holding
2 small florescent light tubes. The Plug looked like a power pack.

So in checking out replacements I found they were well north of $100+ & mainly LED powered.
Frankly odds are I don't have that many painting days left so I was reluctant to put that money
into something of limited use.

Then through the magic of cookies I was on my computer & pictures of Artist Lamps appeared &
one looked good, it had the same dimesons as my old Lamp except the Lamp was an LED. The price
was under $20 & actually had more features than my old Lamp( 10 levels of brightness,3 types
of light-bright, day light, yellow) it was from a company called Temu (never heard of it
but the price was right & I ordered. It shipped the next day for delivery between the 10-15 Nov.
& a few days later I got a notice it cleared Customs (so I have no idea where this thing came from).

So, to the chase, it arrived on the 11th & in a smaller package than I expected so I was a little worried.
What I found was although the dimensions were the same actual size was smaller. The double-jointed
armature was slenderer as the LED lamp was plastic so it didn't need so much support as my
old Lamp, so far so good (I could accept the loss of the coolness factor) but then disaster struck.

It didn't have a regular plug! instead it had a plug that would fit into a UBS Port. Nothing in
the Lamp's description or picture had indicated that it didn't have a standard plug. Thus, I
had no way to use it at my painting station & was screwed.

Then I remembered my deceased Lap Top Computer, several years ago I spilled beer on the keyboard
resulting in the loss of a third of the screen. This past summer we had a 6 minute power outage
which totally scrambled the computer. It would no longer connect to the internet nor let me access
any material I had stored on it. I spent many hours trying to fix things but no dice so I just
unplugged it as a lost cause. But it had USB ports so just maybe?

It worked the Lamp was able to plug into the computer which I then turned on & the Lamp lit up.
I carted the lamp & computer down to my paint station & set it up & good to go. The light covers
my entire paint table & the set up with the computer restores some coolness factor.

OD