Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ranged weapons - searches and exchanges in Gun Shop/Police Station
09-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Ranged weapons - searches and exchanges in Gun Shop/Police Station
Please bear with me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it:

In a game where 2+ Heroes are situated in the same space in either the Police Station or Gun Shop is the following scenario plausible?

Hero with a shotgun takes his/her turn first, fires and loses the gun, next Hero picks up the shotgun and fires and keeps gun, next (3rd) hero (exchanges) takes shotgun from 2nd Hero and fires [whether the Hero drops it or keeps it doesn't matter as being in either the Police Station or Gun Shop lets them automatically acquire it during their search phase] to then repeat this process in the next Hero turn or it could continue to a 4th Hero.

I can't find anything in the rules to suggest that the above scenario isn't plausible, but it seems to be highly advantageous to the Hero's i.e. a little unfair.

Has anyone had this happen and how did you play it out or what's your take?

Thanks for any input/feedback
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2011, 01:54 AM
RE: Ranged weapons - searches and exchanges in Gun Shop/Police Station
I forget the rule, but the rules do state that a specific weapon may only be fired once per turn. This means even if the weapon is picked up by another hero, it has already been fired that turn.

Also, a gun could not be fired and then exchanged, because GIVING an item must be done during that hero's exchange phase, if memory serves, which would come before the ranged attack phase.

Still, a moot point, as the weapon may only be used once per turn.
09-22-2011, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 02:13 AM by Zed's dead baby.)
(09-22-2011 01:54 AM)thanatos Wrote:  I forget the rule, but the rules do state that a specific weapon may only be fired once per turn. This means even if the weapon is picked up by another hero, it has already been fired that turn.

Also, a gun could not be fired and then exchanged, because GIVING an item must be done during that hero's exchange phase, if memory serves, which would come before the ranged attack phase.

Still, a moot point, as the weapon may only be used once per turn.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Gotcha on the "once per turn" rule, I'll have to check if that's for the whole "Hero turn" or just an individuals turn, but re dropping and then firing - could it not be argued that this is in fact a "new" weapon? i.e. if someone drops a gun outside (after firing) and then a Hero in a building picks it up in their turn it would be considered a different gun in reality? Also when I indicated the exchange, this would be done by the 3rd Hero in their exchange phase which still lets them fire the gun (depending on the "once per turn rule).

Found it - Page 12 LNoE Rulebook - "A Hero may make a Ranged Attack with an Item that they got this turn, either through Searching or an Exchange (though no Item may be used by more than one Hero in the same turn)".
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
For the purposes of the rules, each card in the deck is one item, so the parenthetical "no item may be used by more than one hero in the same turn" indicates that the entire hero turn is intended. From a logic perspective, if Jade is in the gym, fires the shotgun, and runs out of ammo, and then Becky uses the police station pickup, of course it can't be the same gun, but from a rule/game-balance perspective, if it is the same item card, it is the same item.
09-22-2011, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 02:55 PM by mqstout.)
The same physical card, even if it's discarded and picked back up from discard cannot be used again, according to the rules. It prevents *a lot* of abuses, even if it might be illogical.

* See also airplane hanger & signal flare.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
(09-22-2011 01:53 PM)mqstout Wrote:  The same physical card, even if it's discarded and picked back up from discard cannot be used again, according to the rules. It prevents *a lot* of abuses, even if it might be illogical.

i support that statement

Princess Jacquelyn of Necropois 'Feed me your flesh'
09-22-2011, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 07:56 PM by Pred.)
(09-22-2011 01:54 AM)thanatos Wrote:  Also, a gun could not be fired and then exchanged, because GIVING an item must be done during that hero's exchange phase, if memory serves, which would come before the ranged attack phase.

I agree with every one on that if it was the same card (gun that was out of ammo and discarded) that is being picked up from a special pickup may not be fired on that same Hero Turn Phase.

But if there was a shotgun in the discard pile, and you fired the one you have and it ran out of ammo and had to be discarded, then another hero was in the police station and used the special pickup, then I would say yes it may be fired that turn, because it would have been a entirely different gun. (I hope that made sense)

But as for the exchange Thanatos is right on the exchange, because Shooting a Range weapon is after the Exchange Items Phase, but if another Hero is in the same square on HIS/Her exchange item phase you could exchange the weapon (but remember if it was fired already during this Hero turn as a Whole (all 4 Heroes turns)you wouldn't be able to fire it again).

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-22-2011, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 08:19 PM by thanatos.)
@Pred: In that case, the shotgun can immediately be PICKED UP using the special pickup, but it is the same item card, so according to the rules (see the FAQ at the back of the LNOE rulebook) it absolutely may NOT be used until the next turn. This is the quote:

"A Weapon card may never be used by more than one Hero in the same turn (Ranged Weapons or Hand Weapons)."

Like mqstout said, it's not logical, but it helps prevent abuse in-game.

Edited to addI was, however, incorrect about one detail of exchanging the item. Any hero in the same space can give any number of items to the hero whose turn it is during that hero's exchange phase.
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 08:28 PM by Pred.)
I guess I didn't word my post correctly

I'm going describe it a little better

OK there's more than one shot gun in your deck and its possible for two shotguns to be fired in the same round.

what I was saying is there is a shotgun already in the discard pile lets say on the very top.
another hero actually has a shotgun in hand, and fires it at zombies, kills them, rolls for the ammo, and looses it
there is now 2 shotguns on top on the discard pile
The Next Hero on their turn is in the Police Station, uses the special ability to pick up a shotgun, (say he didnt pick up the one just discarded but the one under neath it) He would still be able to use it this turn.

I don't see that being abusive, because there's more than one.

Did I make more sense? Or am I still wrong?

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
OK, yes, that's right. I got a little confused, sorry Watchmen02. As long as the card the other hero picks up is not the same card that was discarded this turn, it can be used with no problems whatsoever.