Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sci-fi Action Boardgame?
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Sci-fi Action Boardgame?
Any recommendations of a Science Fiction Action orientated boardgame?

Has to be for two players and not DOOM, as we have Descent and from what I gather it is basically the same game.

Any thoughts??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
RE: Sci-fi Action Boardgame?
I own both of these games and LOVE them both for different reasons. Yes They have the same "build the Dungeon" concept but it changes greatly from there. Also Descent has evolves into a completely different game once you are using the Road to Legend Expansion. Which gives then gives the game a campaign rather than just a series of Quests there is an underlining story that is built more upon by the mythos.

Doom has lot of merits of its own. With the main set and the expansion you get lots of critters and a Deathmatch option. I have painted up all my pieces for both and all I can say is painting the minis only enhances the experience.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Rumor has it that GW will be 'rereleasing' SPACE HULK, which according to many of the gamers, is the best game of it's type, ever.

While I'm a bit excited by the news, I'd much rather see a more generic SCI FI board game, without the baggage of the GW 'universe'.

I thought heavily about Doom for sometime, but ultimately passed. I too have been on the lookout for a great Sci-Fi action game, but have lamented that there have been none that 'popped'.

I heard that Fantasy Flight Games were making a board game version of GEARS OF WAR, but I'm not sure how that will work out either.

Ultimately, I've been designing my own for quite a while....I think I've got a great idea, and a great premise, but that's about it.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the CP & SV!

I forgot about the Gears game. It states Q4 2009 on FFG's website but that's all. Will have to check it out when more is revealed.
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
My only worry about FFG bringing out Space Hulk (of which I already own) is that Doom will be dropped due to it having similarities even if they are minute.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
06-30-2009, 04:13 AM
For the cheap and cheesey, there's Sucking Vacuum.
06-30-2009, 04:48 AM
I've never heard of Sucking Vacuum, but now twice! In one thread, mind!

Zalgo....he comes.
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Not sure if you are angry at me for sparking your interest or thanking me. Zombie03 Watchmen02 Watchmen02

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you....hence this typing is taking bloody ages. God knows, what I'll be like on my 360 later!

And talking of God, here is an explanation for the origin of crossing one's fingers:

Fingers crossed this link works
07-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Ryuk Wrote:And sorry about recommending a game for three players and out of print. Insane19

Yeah, apart from those two points it was a great suggestion! :rolleyes: Zombie17 Zombie17
07-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I think Awful Green Things From Outer Space was my first ever board games of that nature. You had an egg accidently taken onto a research vessel which leads to an infestation. The crew arms themselves with the available weapons and then tries to figure out what the weapons effects on the aliens are. The aliens grow and lay eggs to replace/increase their numbers. I always thought it was a surprizingly well balanced game considering it was released by TSR in either the late 70's or early 80's.

There used to be a good game called Legions of Steel by Global Games which was a robots vs marine game akin to Space Hulk/Space Crusade/Advanced Space Crusade by GamesWorkshop.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"