Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shamble - declare zombie before roll?
02-25-2013, 10:26 PM
RE: Shamble - declare zombie before roll?
That definitely makes sense. I wonder if anybody has ever gotten an official answer from Jason C. Hill on this one. I can definitely see it making a big difference. If you have to declare the zombie first, you might go with one already somewhat close to a hero in hopes of instigating a fight. If you can pick after the roll, you may roll, get a high roll, and therefore decide to use a zombie really far away to take the most advantage. So there definitely is a big difference either way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I always see Shambles as actually a kind of rush - so you pick a zombie and then roll to see if it can charge to reach its target. Zombies can get angry too!
02-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Here's the official answer from Jason C. Hill

'When playing Shamble you should choose the Zombie and then roll to see how far they get to move.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1737165#1737165

Hope this helps
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
(02-25-2013 03:16 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 02:23 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  I like the thought and we're going to give it a shot, my hesitation comes from zombies having favor naturally.
1. Zed's always have a fist full of cards.
2. In order to move, heros must give up the ability to search, which means less cards.
3. Zombies always get to move with the exception of being tethered by hunger.
4. 4 vs 14+, no mater how fast my heros move those bastards always catch up...

1) Yes but the poor defenceless Zombies don't have Revolvers, Pump Shotguns, Signal Flares, Police Shotguns or Pistols. I ask you from an undead's point of view. Is it wrong to want a good square meal?Zombie17

On a serious note. I've always played; nominate the Zombie, then roll.
Let's say it's a 2 player game.
How would the Zombies like it?
If the Heroes rolled and said "Right I'll use this Hero."

As for house rules there's no reason why you can't play; roll the die then pick the Zombie after.

Yeah, this makes sense! Thanks Samurai! I still don't mind the zombies choosing the Shamble after the rolling though... I think it adds to the game in fact...
There are far worse cards in the zombie deck that affect the heroes so badly and require absolutely nothing of the zombie player.
Plus, choosing the zombie before rolling, IMHO, unbalance things a little towards the luck side of the game. If you use the card and roll 1, well that's bummer, but if you roll a 2, at least the chances of a nearby zombie catching up with the Hero is higher and thematically I think it fits better. Imagine Sally saying: "Look, that zombie far, far away is Shambling... oh... he advanced 2 cm..." (as a matter of fact, I don't even know what Shamble means - English native speakers, please enlighten me!)

Damn, I've written a lot! See you guys!
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
That ruling made the wife VERY pouty!!! LOL!

Verb
(of a person) Move with a slow, shuffling, awkward gait.
Noun
A slow, shuffling, awkward gait.
Synonyms
shuffle

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2013, 08:30 PM
(02-26-2013 06:10 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  That ruling made the wife VERY pouty!!! LOL!

Haha! If only you'd got the reaction on camera!Zombie17
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
(02-26-2013 01:08 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Here's the official answer from Jason C. Hill

'When playing Shamble you should choose the Zombie and then roll to see how far they get to move.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1737165#1737165

Hope this helps

Groovy! Thanks, Samurai! I figured that one had to have come up before, and been answered long ago by the man himself. So, it seems what most are saying here is correct. You are supposed to choose the zombie first.

So, that does change the strategy a little. Because, you have to decide, do you pick a zombie relatively close to a hero in hopes of starting a fight? Or, do you pick a zombie far away in hopes of getting a good roll, and thereby taking the best advantage?

That also means you could choose a close zombie and wind up with a high roll, where you could have taken better advantage with a further away zombie and still get a fight out of it. Or, you could try for a far away zombie and wind up with a low roll, not getting to pick a fight whereas you could have with that roll on a different zombie.

So, different strategies you have to consider than if you got to roll and THEN pick the zombie. If you think about it, it does seem fair. Otherwise, it would kind of be like saying the hero player(s) could roll for their move and then decide which hero to attribute it too, which is not at all how the hero turn is supposed to be played.
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
(02-26-2013 06:10 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  That ruling made the wife VERY pouty!!! LOL!

Verb
Noun
Synonyms
shuffle

Thanks for the explanation!
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
(02-27-2013 08:01 PM)LFuzer Wrote:  

Verb
Noun
Synonyms
shuffle

I still can't figure how slow and awkward = 2 spaces... I would have gone with lunge or something along that line..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2013, 08:06 PM
(02-27-2013 09:05 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 08:01 PM)LFuzer Wrote:  

Verb
Noun
Synonyms
shuffle

I still can't figure how slow and awkward = 2 spaces... I would have gone with lunge or something along that line..

LOL! That is definitely a good point. I always thought of shambling as a better description of how zombies would typically move. Slow and awkward. Perhaps a different title would have made more sense. ;-)