Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small World
04-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Small World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro

Watched the premiere episode of Table Top, and was entertained by it (I am admittedly easily entertained). The featured game was Small World - never heard of it before, but after watching this, picked it up on Amazon for cheap - $1 out of pocket! Watchmen02

Played it last weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it! It has a fantasy meets Risk feel to it, but it has a turn limit, so games don't last forever. Anyone else try this one out?

Oh yeah, and a quick FYI - LNOE is on the slate to be a featured game for a future episode...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2012, 08:07 AM
RE: Small World
I have seen that game here in local stores. I noticed it because it is from the people who gave us Memoir 44 Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
wowie-zowie that was an entertaining video. Makes me want to pick it up too!
04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
SW art work was just too silly for me to take seriously the Game mechanics are ok.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi, wow am i at GCOM ?

Yeah, Small World is fun. I did not watch the whole vidieo, but Ghouls and Skels can be fun, mages too. Ghouls are the only race that stays active once they go in decline. Its a simple attration type game, and the enemy has no defence besides their stack. There are a couple of expansions, that are kewl also.

The way the game normally goes is. Everyone attacks the person in the lead. The game says that vistory points or coins are hidden or private, but...ahhhh we can do math based off your income.

Great Danes of Small World "Haughty by Nature"
Cursed
Dont Be Afraid
and their newest Underground. It adds a whole new dynamic of play. Our game group still plays Small World, but not so much Underground.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
We play SW every now and then in our rotation. I am not a huge fan myself. It's an ok game. Pretty easy to pick up and play.
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I saw this in my local game store, and was thinking about picking it up to play with my 9yo girl. Think she would like it?
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
(04-12-2012 08:51 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  I saw this in my local game store, and was thinking about picking it up to play with my 9yo girl. Think she would like it?

Sure, the game box says it is for ages 8+. The rules are pretty easy to figure out once you have played a few rounds, and the theme is fun with the different fantasy races. The silly art that OD is referring to is for the tokens for the different races, many of them are caricatures. I would recommend giving it a try.
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
(04-13-2012 05:06 AM)munkymuddface Wrote:  
(04-12-2012 08:51 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  I saw this in my local game store, and was thinking about picking it up to play with my 9yo girl. Think she would like it?

Sure, the game box says it is for ages 8+. The rules are pretty easy to figure out once you have played a few rounds, and the theme is fun with the different fantasy races. The silly art that OD is referring to is for the tokens for the different races, many of them are caricatures. I would recommend giving it a try.

Hi, yeah I would totally recommend it. Its a basic math type game. Its counting cardbord vs cardboard. Like the video shows. It could help improve mathmatic, calculating, and some strategy. and the art work or races can easily be explained or learned Mountain Giants get a bonus when they walk down the mountain, wizards get gem bonuses and such. Some of the traits could be a little more complicated, but their easy enough, Flying or sea fairing bonuses.

Just dont be to aggressive when playing, it should be a bunch of fun, with some interesting Fairy Tale type creatures.

Marauding Pixies, lol

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I own SmallWorld along with a bunch of its expansions, its one of the most fun board games i own, it may seem kinda complicated to learn all these races and powers but once you play it 2-3 times it flows like water.
Its biggest advantage is the replay value, it offers since the combinations change all the time
DoW now introduces a new expansion SW Realms which makes the board custom everytime along with ready to play custom boards-scenarios and combined with all the expansions and SW Underground it receives unlimeted replayability.