Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some more details from Jason...
06-19-2010, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2010 07:22 PM by Grudunza.)
Some more details from Jason...
...are at this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/534027/update

He answers questions about the martian miniatures, how the different sides work with and against each other, and how the martian ray guns work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2010, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2010 01:09 AM by zombie67.)
RE: Some more details from Jason...
Thanks for the link, Grudunza.

Here's hoping Jason shows TZG, the Flying Frog Fan-site, the same courtesy of being able to ask 3 questions!
06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
zombie67 Wrote:Thanks for the link, Grudunza.

Here's hoping Jason shows TZG, the Flying Frog Fan-site, the same courtesy of being able to ask 3 questions!

Hey Guys,

I can probably answer a few questions here as well, but first...

Here are a few exclusive IFOS card images (the first card images released anywhere)!

- Jason

06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Woo! Jason, you rock. Hmm, martians moving as packs. Is that you being vaporized?

I'll take one question, if I might. Is there anything akin to "Zombie Heroes" in IFOS? Mind-controlled heroes?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2010, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2010 05:21 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Nice Preview!Thanks.

I was just thinking,I don't really get in the mood for Zombies (or more likely AToE) until the Fall-somehow
Summer & the undead never work for me.

Summer is however the perfect time for Alien Invasions,so it looks were getting the Frog for all seasons.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Many thanks Jason for the post....maybe I should have more faith, eh?
06-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Wink RE: Some more details from Jason...
mqstout Wrote:Woo! Jason, you rock. Hmm, martians moving as packs. Is that you being vaporized?

I'll take one question, if I might. Is there anything akin to "Zombie Heroes" in IFOS? Mind-controlled heroes?

All I can say there is...not yet Zombie03

The Martians do have access to 2 Martian Champions of their own though, and each is pretty powerful in their own right.

Also, in IFOS the Heroes always have 'Heroes Replenish' and anytime the Martians kill a Hero they get a bonus 2 Martian Command Points for their next turn (allowing them to build new stuff or help to bring out their own Champions into play).

- Jason
06-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Hey Jason.

I simply need to now (if you want to answer, that is): How did you think of Martians vs Carnies? It seems like such a random paring, and I just can't figure out why...
06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Brichs Wrote:Hey Jason.

I simply need to now (if you want to answer, that is): How did you think of Martians vs Carnies? It seems like such a random paring, and I just can't figure out why...

No problem in answering that one (though I may give more detail than you actually want to know Zombie03 ).

Like many people, I've always been fascinated with Circus Sideshows and traveling carnivals. It is really interesting stuff of a bygone era (especially when you factor in the sort of 'turn of the century'/old west vibe into it). So back in early 2004, I happened to come across an image of an 'old time' carnival strongman in his striped shirt and one-piece bathing suit outfit with the big, classic-style bar bell and everything - and I thought, "Man, I need to work on a game with an old fashioned circus." As it so happened, at the time I was already starting to kick around ideas for a 50's style Martian themed game using the Last Night on Earth game engine (shared game mechanics, etc). And then it struck me that those two themes actually had a lot of cool synergy and even shared a similar time period, more or less (1930's, 40's, and 50's).

I found the idea really exciting, especially with the notion that this group of outcasts from society would, in time of crisis, step up to defend the Earth from invasion. The idea that they could use their special talents that had always been looked down on by 'normal folk' and had been the cause of their exclusion from society before, to in fact save the people and society that they could never really be accepted into. Really, in many ways, they are a lot like 'old time' super heroes, each with their own special abilities. I think that kind of thing really resonates with people and is really fun to play around with. You see that similar theme in a lot of great stories and characters - the misfit(s) that everyone fears but could be the only one that can save the day - whether it's the mutants of the X-men or Frankenstein's monster. There is a tendency to fear those that are different, but there is also a great strength to be found in diversity and stepping up to a challenge. And there really isn't a greater threat than invasion of highly advanced and hostile aliens from another world.

So these two seemingly very different genres ended up coming together to make a really solid and fun theme for a game...and Invasion From Outer Space was born.

- Jason
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Jason, the carnies vs. martians thing seemed a little weird at first, but the more I thought about it, I realized that it's really quite original and unique and fitting. Your description reinforces that.