Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sprained Ankle question
01-02-2011, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 12:28 AM by Damienxxx.)
RE: Sprained Ankle question
Criesto "Based on the wording, I'd have to disagree with you. It says the hero rolls a D6 to move, it doesn't say they "may" roll a D6 to move. The part that has "may" attached to it is the part about actually moving. It seems that, based on the wording, you have to roll but the movement itself is optional"

But Move and Search is decribed as two DIFFERENT "Move actions" and only Move has a d6 roll tied too it in its description, search does not. It is even described as instead of moving.

Also on the same page it says "A hero may always roll to se how far they could move before deciding whether to Search or Move". There it says may and not must. Id say that is a decription of an optional roll, not a required one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 01:14 AM
(01-02-2011 12:09 AM)Damienxxx Wrote:  Criesto "Based on the wording, I'd have to disagree with you. It says the hero rolls a D6 to move, it doesn't say they "may" roll a D6 to move. The part that has "may" attached to it is the part about actually moving. It seems that, based on the wording, you have to roll but the movement itself is optional"

But Move and Search is decribed as two DIFFERENT "Move actions" and only Move has a d6 roll tied too it in its description, search does not. It is even described as instead of moving.

Also on the same page it says "A hero may always roll to se how far they could move before deciding whether to Search or Move". There it says may and not must. Id say that is a decription of an optional roll, not a required one.

I know I am a newbie, but I have to agree here. On page 11 of the LNoE rulebook, in the white box, it says "may always roll" implying you can choose not to roll. Sprained Ankle applies anytime the die is rolled for a move action. I can't see making someone take a move roll just so I can play Sprained Ankle on them. My 2 cents.
Find all posts by this user
01-02-2011, 02:11 AM
OK, I've done some serious research into this now. Pulled the Card and all the rules. And here is what I found:

"Twisted Ankle

[Zombie Event]

Play this card on any Hero when they roll a 1 for movement.

That Hero must now subtract 1 from their Movement Dice rolls (minimum of 1).

{Remains in Play}"

According to the card, it can be played ONLY when the Hero rolls a 1 for MOVEMENT.

So I'd have to change my opinion. If you are NOT rolling for MOVEMENT then the card can not be played.

Additionally, I have researched the rulebook as well. According to the rules on Page 11 Of the Original book (And I could find nothing else referencing this in the official rules in any book, page or pamphlet) It would seem I was incorrect anyway...

"During their turn, each Hero individually completes all of the following steps in order.

1) Move Action"

So a Move ACTION MUST be preformed. But...

"1) Move Action (Move or Search)
The Hero's Move Action allows them to either Move around the board, or Search if they are already in a building."

The key word here is "OR". Further more...

"Search -
Instead of moving, a Hero that is already in a Building Space may use their Move Action to Search."

Therefore, no move is made. But here's the kicker everyone seems to have missed... the white text box under "Move - "

"A Hero may always roll to see how far they could Move before deciding whether to Search or Move."

"A Hero may always roll..." With that statement it is clear and obvious. You HAVE to make a Move ACTION. BUT you DO NOT have to ROLL for MOVEMENT, you can Search instead.

Now for Barricades and Survival Deck... (Pages 6 and 4 respectively of the Survival of the Fittest rules pamphlet.)

"Building Barricades
Any time a Hero in a building has a 4 or higher for Movement, they may take a special Move Action to BUILD or REINFORCE a Barricade."

That says a MOVE ROLL MUST be made. In which case Twisted Ankle WOULD be playable.

This goes for the 5+ for Survival Cards as well.

"Anytime a Hero has a 5 or higher for Movement, they may take a special Survival Deck card when Searching in a building instead of the normal Hero Deck Card."

Humm... maybe not? "when Searching"? So you have to roll for Movement even when searching? No. Not according to the original rule book. Issue here is a misprinting of the rules, that, or a conflict of rules. This is the ONLY reference I have found to Rolling for Movement when Searching. So I have to conclude that it is wrong. I think it should read:

'Any time a Hero is Searching a building, he MAY roll for Movement to find a Survival Deck Card (Or to Barricade/reinforce a wall). If the Hero rolls 5 or higher on the movement roll...'

According to the original rules: You don't HAVE to make a movement roll. But if you do Twisted Ankle can be played. If you don't make a Movement Roll, you can not Barricade or find Survival Cards. So if you want a chance to Barricade, reinforce a barricade or find a survival card, you HAVE to roll for movement. If you roll for movement, even for these purposes, Twisted Ankle is allowed.

Optional House Rule corrections:

1) If you roll for movement; Twisted ankle is playable on you, even if you don't move. This includes Barricade/Reinforce Barricade Rolls and Searching for Survival Cards. But NOT just Searching, as Searching does not require a roll.

- or -

2) Rolling for movement is mandatory every turn. If you choose to move or not. Twisted Ankle is playable on ANY Movement roll. Even if you choose not to Move.

- or -

3) Rolling for movement is Mandatory every turn, but Twisted Ankle can only be played if movement is actually made.

This is obviously a conflict in the rules as of Survival of the Fittest. Only real way to answer it: Ask FFP.
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
I still stick with your option #2 is correct. When we also look at how FFP has structured their other games (ATOE: event card on a 1; IFOS: roll power refresh die at the same time), the movement roll is not optional. Yes, there's some interpretation there, but LNOE was FFP's freshman game.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user