Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Nightwatch
09-17-2009, 10:18 PM
The Nightwatch
I just went to Montreal some weeks ago with my girlfriend (Montreal is like the biggest place to find english stuff in Quebec since Quebec is a french state for those of you that wouldn't know (I'm not making any assuptions Watchmen02 it's just that most people knows Canada but not everyone knows the difference between each and every state as I don't know the difference between every states in the united-states Watchmen02). And sometimes (most of the time) I like to go and buy books in original english version as well as I'm watching movie in original version) and went to the Chapter.

Talk about a big out of context introduction.

I was mainly looking for some HP Lovecraft to get to know his universe (I'm a big fan of arkham horror too). But then I was just looking through the books in the horror section when I found this little white (make it black :P) pearl of a book.

The nightwatch.

I don't know if some of you saw the movie. I must say that I found it interesting enough to ask myself what the book could be like but else, I'd say it's a pretty "unlinear" movie where most of the time I was just not following the history thread.

Well, the book is a hundred time better. And can't stop reading it. The universe is quite interesting, the nightwatch going face to face with the daywatch, the dark side watching the light side and preventing them "by right" to do good stuff, and same thing for the light watching the dark side and delivering licenses to vampires and shapeshifters of the dark side allowing them to hunt...

I'd say, I'm not good at resuming stuff :P but it's definitively a good book to read for horror, fantastic and alternative reality fans Watchmen02.

"Man, I like these zombies better when they got clothes on. That an ex-girlfriend of yours, Nick?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2009, 03:52 AM
RE: The Nightwatch
I've read all four books in the series. It quickly pole vaulted near the top of my list of favorites. Plus, understanding Russian culture as I do (from going insane studying it in University...) helps me get a tiny bit more out of it (though that's not necessary). I'm hoping he doesn't milk the franchise much more, though, and ruin it. Other characters and stories in the setting? Sure. But, the main characters of the tetrology are done with.

In comparison to the books, the movie Night Watch [a moderately good film] blows. Day Watch the movie is completely awful - skip it. The others haven't made it here yet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I've seen the books at my local bookstore,but just
thought they were more Vampire novels:rolleyes:

I'll check them out next visit.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok we went to the book store this AM & I picked
up the 4 books in the series (last complete set thereZombie03 )
so we'll see.

OD

09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I surely hope you'll like it Watchmen02 I almost finished the first novel and it's for now, interesting from beginning to the point I'm at Watchmen02.

"Man, I like these zombies better when they got clothes on. That an ex-girlfriend of yours, Nick?"
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
OD, don't get disappointed that you loathe all the characters and wish for mutual killings during fights. That's part of the charm. They're all whiney pricks, both good guys and bad guys.
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
mqstout Wrote:OD, don't get disappointed that you loathe all the characters and wish for mutual killings during fights. That's part of the charm. They're all whiney pricks, both good guys and bad guys.

God..it sounds like my jobZombie03

OD

09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
The books are FAR, FAR, better than the movies. The first movie is decent (and worth it for visuals). The second totally destroys anything good they had going. It corrupts the books beyond recognition, which basically writes its own incoherent plot. And, it stops doing the cool magic wizbang that carried the first one to success.
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
I just finished Nightwatch the 1st book of the series of four.
Good read I'm glad I finally pick these up after months
of passing up in the book store.

In a way it reminded me of Simon R.Green's Nightside
books,the mixture of humor & horror & the Twlight
is somewhat like Green's Nightside.

Of course Green is a Brit so the brooding Slavic Soul
of Lukyanenko isn't there;)Can't wait to stary Daywatch.

Thanks L & M for steering me toward this series.

OD

10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
They killed Tiger Cub(the Bastards):P\\
(and a few others)

I've finished Day Watch & am now starting Twlight Watch.
Really good reads,thanks again for bringing them to my attention.

OD