Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The "end" of a Flying Frog game
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
RE: The "end" of a Flying Frog game
I have yet to play the expansion with ATOE (my group never wants to play it). That game itself is harder to expand due to the nature of the fixed boards. Already two boards long takes up more gaming space than I usually have available.

LNOE zombies need something to bring back their win condition like "emptying the hero deck" that the expansions and promos have gotten rid of. (Discussed here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/card...767.html). This seems to be a common topic about the game.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2010, 02:23 AM
mqstout Wrote:I have yet to play the expansion with ATOE (my group never wants to play it). That game itself is harder to expand due to the nature of the fixed boards. Already two boards long takes up more gaming space than I usually have available.

LNOE zombies need something to bring back their win condition like "emptying the hero deck" that the expansions and promos have gotten rid of. (Discussed here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/card...767.html). This seems to be a common topic about the game.

You know you can play a solo game of ATOE if you really want to check out the expansion when your players don't want to play it.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
CP is correct AToE plays great Solo & SWTWC even has
official Solo rules.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I played the crap out of it solo around Halloween.

Then I started acting more responsible and got back to writing stuff...=(

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I can't believe there haven’t been similar discussions like this. So, seeing this very old thread, I wanted to add my input. I can definitely agree with some of the concerns when it comes to deck size. That is one thing that does concern me with all the expansions. So, I would personally kind of hope they didn’t add any more cards to the original LNOE with expansions.

However, my personal plan when I eventually do get Timber Peak is to keep the two games mostly separate. Granted, I could always combine them if and when I see fit, but in general I will keep them separate. So, once I have all expansions, my LNOE with stop and any future expansions will go with Timber Peak. They are pretty much the same game (Timber Peak just expands on it), so I see no harm in doing this, and this would help to keep the decks from getting way too large.

When it comes down to it, I LOVE that Flying Frog is always adding stuff. I could NEVER get enough. So, I personally wouldn’t mind if they go on adding new stuff forever. I mean, honestly, they could easily get around it by being a bit creative. They don’t have to constantly release huge expansions like Growing Hunger and Timber Peak. As there is more and more, they could start releasing smaller expansions. Maybe more supplements where it is just one scenario and a few cards. Maybe more heroes. Stuff like that. That way, they aren’t adding a lot, but are adding enough to make it a little new and exciting.

I mean, I’m sure eventually they can’t go on forever. But, I like the idea that there is no set expiration date. It makes it exciting to think there will still be new stuff to collect from time to time.
09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
One way would be to concentrate on creating packs with mostly new tiles and scenarios.
Then the worry about too large of decks wouldnt matter.

Id prefer that for LNoE anyhow.

As for AToE, they could keep creating new maps and Villains but with just different location decks.
09-14-2012, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2012 05:27 AM by ForestRunner.)
Deck size is not an issue here.

My Hero and Zombie decks are about 3-4 inches thick each... and that's because I've put them in UltraPro deck protectors. I then have the cards laying on their side in a plastic deck holder (I think that may be by UtlraPro as well). Then you simply draw out from the front.

Finally a deck seperator goes behind the final card at the beginning of play, then the discard pile starts after this seperator and expands during play - whilst of course the main deck reduces.

I find the set-up tidy and the deck protectors make for some very easy shuffling on top of making the cards more durable. On their own, I found the cards tended to stick and were not optimal for shuffling (started to damage some of the edging).

I think I've articulated the above ok. LOL. I'll post pics of it if anyone wants clarification.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
09-14-2012, 11:49 AM
My problem isn't deck size either, but 2 other things: Making too many alternative rules/stuff to make the game unmanageable and therefore increase the possibility of the two sides being unequally powered, and the second problem that I fear is powercreep.

It seems that there have been a step up powerwise in the cards you can get in TP which saddens me a bit, as I really liked the survivor feel from LNoE. That said I havent tried it yet so Ill judge when I get to know it...

Apropos the thread discussion, I think they'll keep on making stuff for their games (which might change the game) until A. you feel you have enough or B. nobody will buy them.

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
09-14-2012, 08:09 PM
(09-13-2012 10:04 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  One way would be to concentrate on creating packs with mostly new tiles and scenarios.
Then the worry about too large of decks wouldnt matter.

Id prefer that for LNoE anyhow.

That seems like an awesome idea to me. I would love to see that. Can never heard to have new parts of the town. And to me, the main thing you can do to add awesome and exciting new stuff to the game without complicating things is to add new scenarios. So, that is one thing I'd love to see them do a lot more. Add new scenario expansions you can buy, but maybe not include cards so we can avoid our decks growing any larger still.

(09-14-2012 05:25 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  Deck size is not an issue here.

My Hero and Zombie decks are about 3-4 inches thick each... and that's because I've put them in UltraPro deck protectors. I then have the cards laying on their side in a plastic deck holder (I think that may be by UtlraPro as well). Then you simply draw out from the front.

Finally a deck seperator goes behind the final card at the beginning of play, then the discard pile starts after this seperator and expands during play - whilst of course the main deck reduces.

I find the set-up tidy and the deck protectors make for some very easy shuffling on top of making the cards more durable. On their own, I found the cards tended to stick and were not optimal for shuffling (started to damage some of the edging).

I think I've articulated the above ok. LOL. I'll post pics of it if anyone wants clarification.

I would definitely love to see pictures of your set up if that isn't too difficult or time consuming for you to do. Sounds awesome! I am definitely glad to hear that others don't seem to think the deck size is a problem. That is reassuring, because that had been one of my main concerns. Especially when it comes to scenarios that require you to find specific things in the deck.

(09-14-2012 11:49 AM)SovTech Wrote:  My problem isn't deck size either, but 2 other things: Making too many alternative rules/stuff to make the game unmanageable and therefore increase the possibility of the two sides being unequally powered, and the second problem that I fear is powercreep.

It seems that there have been a step up powerwise in the cards you can get in TP which saddens me a bit, as I really liked the survivor feel from LNoE. That said I havent tried it yet so Ill judge when I get to know it...

I guess I know what you mean. But, from what I understand, and what I have seen thus far with the expansion stuff we've used in my gaming group, they don't seem to add too much all at once. Even when you have the expansions, a lot of stuff is only used in certain scenarios. Then, beyond that, you can choose to include or exclude whatever you want using the DOTS system. So, you can make it as complicated as you want, or keep it fairly simple.

So, I don't think overcomplication should be too much of a problem. For the more die hard fans, you can add all the cool stuff and they will love it. For newer fans, or folks who may enjoy the game but not necessarily be zombie obsessed, you can keep it simple.
09-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Recently ran into trouble with search for the truth, we got both record items, but ended up never getting a fire item. afterwards we looked and the first fire item was 32 cards down, and there were 9 turns remaining when we lost.

Even if the zombies hadn't gotten some great cards and rolled well we would have lost. In fact with the distance to the hospital we were the zombie player could have left the room and taken all the zombies off the board and we still would have lost.