Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you Sleeve your cards?
No Sleeves
Clear Sleeves
Color Sleeves
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To Sleeve or not to Sleeve...
05-22-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 10:24 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
RE: To Sleeve or not to Sleeve...
(05-22-2014 01:55 PM)soundguy Wrote:  i've played card games since the early 80's. never sleeved any. too much extra bulk..

Aren't your Go Fish! and Old Maid cards pretty beat up by now? Zombie03

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
if you think those are the only games that used cards back in the glory days of gaming.. then your beard isn't long enough or grey enough.. Zombie03
05-23-2014, 03:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 03:30 AM by ForestRunner.)
I'm a chronic sleever.

For my FFP gear, I use Ultra-Pro deck protectors. They are then stored in Ultra-Pro deck boxes for both carriage and actual game play. Extra bulk and weight?... yes.

Whilst I love FFP's cards and quality thereof, I found it difficult to shuffle them non-sleeved as they would stick after a while... especially as the decks increased in size.

So I get easier shuffling, and prevent the damage to edges when trying to shuffle. There's also protection for that unforeseen accident/incident or potential spill.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
05-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Recently I noticed a Zombie Timber Peak card with a small rip on the back. It's maybe 5 games old. Luckily it was only a Shamble. But it made me really consider it.
05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Does sleeving them not impede the deck shuffling/dealing etc?

I have sleeved game cards before, original and custom, but the number was only small and it was not really for a deck and I feel it gives each card "extra volume" (Space Crusade orders and equipment)

Just wondering as although I do not have them sleeved right now, the thought has entered my mind for when I create custom cards to keep the deck relatively uniform.
05-23-2014, 08:08 PM
I tend not to sleeve my cards, but that is only really because I'm a weirdo. LOL! Because my reason for not doing so is mainly because I like to view the cards as is. I also like the feel of them as they are. It's the same reason I am always so reluctant to find better storage solutions for my games because, to me, the boxes are part of the character of the game.

But, I'm starting to have to give up on that, because it gets to be too much with games like Last Night On Earth and Zombicide where there are so many different expansions in so many different boxes. Much easier to find something that will fit it all in less space.

So, who knows? Maybe I'll break down and start sleeving my cards at some point. For now, though, I personally choose not to do so.
05-23-2014, 08:58 PM
(05-23-2014 08:08 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I tend not to sleeve my cards, but that is only really because I'm a weirdo. LOL! Because my reason for not doing so is mainly because I like to view the cards as is. I also like the feel of them as they are. It's the same reason I am always so reluctant to find better storage solutions for my games because, to me, the boxes are part of the character of the game.

But, I'm starting to have to give up on that, because it gets to be too much with games like Last Night On Earth and Zombicide where there are so many different expansions in so many different boxes. Much easier to find something that will fit it all in less space.

So, who knows? Maybe I'll break down and start sleeving my cards at some point. For now, though, I personally choose not to do so.

i do exactly the same. oe boxes and all. LNOE i am now using 3 of the large boxes to contain everything.
05-23-2014, 11:18 PM
My boxes are so worn that the sides of the lids have become flappy
06-02-2014, 07:33 AM
(05-23-2014 11:05 AM)UK_zombie Wrote:  Does sleeving them not impede the deck shuffling/dealing etc?

For me... shuffling the cards if definitely easier.

What this does though is changes the way you store them for play. They will slide everywhere if you try and place a deck of decent size face down. So I now have them on their sides... angled slightly, within a deck bock. Players say they find it easier to pick up as well.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
06-02-2014, 01:20 PM
we played a game last night.. eminent domain cards were sleeved. I'd guess with card drop and slide accidents our 3 hr game took about 30m longer than needed.