Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are some of your other "obsessions?" List/discuss
09-30-2012, 02:44 PM
RE: What are some of your other "obsessions?" List/discuss
(09-30-2012 11:15 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Great Blog (who knew) I love the Title.

Oh I wish to add Pumpkin Ice Cream to my list.

OD

Thanks...=)

I'll add Pumpkin Pie and Mountain Dew to my list, then!

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 06:16 AM
BSG, Dune, Lord of the Rings, Douglas Adams, Monty Python, XBOX 360, Heinlein, NPR, podcasts, board games, baking, The Walking Dead... you know... the usual.

Does that look like a scratch or a bite?
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Bloodbowl, painting minis, A Game of Thrones, Lord of The Rings, Isaac Asimov, Horror Movies (loved Drag me to Hell, and I do keep a baseball bat in my apartment for the Day (although my wife insists it isnt necessary, but she might be One Of Them)), politics, development, cultures (especially eastern Africa, where I am now), travelling, boardgames (besides the obvious: Twilight Empirium 3rd ed., Chaos in the Old World, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, BBG name SovTech) and role playing games (especially Deadlands, but everything from D&D to CoC, and between)...

Oh, especially storytelling and acting has a place in my heart.

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
10-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Star wars, Star Trek, zombies(obviously), the Blair Witch Project, various comics(wolverine, hack slash, the boys, and of course the walking dead-issue 100 almost made me cry), and women.

Not necessarily in that order.
12-07-2012, 08:00 AM
We're to start, I love to skateboard in the summer, I'm not very good but I only do it cause I love the feeling of pushing and rolling. Plus it's really fun to get some air every once and a while.
I love wrestling....undertaker all the way... Too bad he's been gone for what seems like for ever.
Uhhh video games... I'll play anything, but I hate Xbox... They want too much money for crap you can get on pc.
My favorite sci fi tv series is lexx, no idea why, it's kind of stupid, I think I just like the idea of living in a giant planet devouring bug/ship.
Oh how could I forget. I love Pokémon. I have 2 tattoos. Vaporeon is my favorite and I hate fire types. I'm working on making a bug team I'm just having a hard time with my surskit, the only water/bug type. Galvantula is my second favorite, I used to have a tarantula, I called her moony short for moon scar, that might have something to do with my love of spiders.
But that's enough, you can read my biography in about 60 years....that is if an cares...
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
70s and 80s slasher films. Zombie movies. Motorcycle rides. Flying cessnas. Waveruners. Snowmobiles. Random road trips. Empty beaches at midnight. Booze.
12-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I'll have to repeat many greats that are already listed.

Tolkien -
The first real book my father read to me was the Hobbit in 1978 when I was five. I loved it! It was at the height of the 70's hype of Tolkien and Bass and Rankin just put out the animated feature. I proceeded to read Hobbit at least once a year, and the Lord of the Rings at least every three years. I still have my fathers original boxed set from '78 that contained all 4 books:

[Image: lotr1978a.jpg?w=600]

I just finished reading Hobbit to my 5 year old as well.

Aliens/Predator Universe -
Alien was the first movie that scared the bajeebus out of me, and I loved it. I became fascinated with the lore and universe of these creatures to the point that all my Star Frontiers (for all those old timers) campaigns were based around hunting down a swarm of Aliens. When Predator came out, boom! the Alien took the back seat. Predators are the most badass mofos in the galaxy. I don't care how cheezy people think the movies or comics were, the stories were awesome! in '90, when I heard that Alien Vs Predator was coming out, I ran up to Boston to a shop I knew that sold screenplays, and bought it outright! It drove me nuts that it took another decade to actually see the movie. I know many people thought Prometheus was a dud, no way man! I want more.

Godzilla -
King of Monsters will always be the King of Monsters in my book. I will admit recently I have gone back and watched many of the films and they are not as stellar as I remember them, but it like watching old school Iron Sheik VS. Rowdy Roddy Piper in gawky uniforms. I just watched Monster X with my son, and he freaking loved it, we laughed so hard!

Not horror movies, but scary movies. Movies that instill in me a sense of dread, or eeriness. Slasher flicks are ok, but formulaic. I admit the first Saw and Hostel had better stories than most these days but I think the height of horror was the late 70's - early 90's. Basically, when we did not rely on CGI and much of the fear was ambient, not jump scares if you will. Like if anyone has seen the move One dark night, there is a part at the end where these girls are standing in the middle of a dark mausoleum, staring down a dimly lit hallway, and slowly a figure starts moving down the corridor towards them. The creepiness factor is through the roof. That is what I like to experience.

RPGs -
Tabletop and electronic. RPG's rule. Right now I am in the fourth year of a six year GURPS campaign. Love D&D, Boot Hill, Twilight 2000, Car Wars as well. As for electronic, the Elder Scrolls have been a long time favorite, and still love Ultima III. I love the idea of character creation and endless possibilities.

Finally, cool ass fantasy/Horror/Sci-fi artwork. Favorites are John Howe, Alan Lee, Stephen Gammell, Roger Dean, and Brian Froud. Froud, Howe and Lee all had the most influence on me as the way I see things in my mind when gaming.

I think that is enough, but I could go on...

-W.J.
12-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Pathfinder tabletop RPG; Scottish accents on women; old-school 1960s-1980s fantasy and sci-fi; the Shining Force series pre-PS2 era when it was still a turn-based strategy RPG; writing (novel-format as opposed to screenplays, comics, etc); believing my opinion is better than everyone else's; movies that succeed in being "chill-you-to-your-core" without resorting to mere jump scares (Exorcism of Emily Rose is my prime example).

My real, true obsession would have to be reading and writing. I'm a book-reader first and foremost over the more visual mediums of entertainment, and I've been reading 40-50 books a year since 2004, in just about every genre imaginable (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, modern literature, classic literature, steampunk, cyberpunk, contemporary fiction, mysteries, thrillers, urban fantasy, detective stories, children's books, young adult, and on and on). As far as writing goes, I enjoy the writing process for crafting a story about as well as I like reading, and I enjoy more than anything when a story I'm writing suddenly surprises me with a direction I hadn't intended it to go.
12-10-2012, 04:48 AM
My obsessions:

1. Lord of the Rings (can't wait to do another movie marathon of the trilogy before I watch the Hobbit)
  2. 2. Star Wars (I was pleased with the news that Disney bought LucasFilm and is planning an Episode 7, but I'd rather see the planned TV series that covers the time between Episode 3 and Episode 4)
  3. Survivor (I'm hooked on this reality TV program, at least the U.S. version)
12-12-2012, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 11:05 PM by vikinglad.)
(07-27-2012 08:17 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  - Star Wars, but more specifically Darth Vader

I loved Star Wars since I first saw it. But, Darth Vader always stood out as being THE character I wanted to see. He remains, in my personal opinion, one of the most awesome characters ever created.

^^THIS^^ I love that the prequels (disliked as they may be) made the entire story about Vader; his childhood, corruption, redemption, and death. What an interesting character. I was 4 when ROTJ came out, and I got to see it in theaters. I have always had Vader toys because my parents liked Star Wars too. To me, Star Wars is the Darth Vader story.

...and practically everything else you mentioned. StayPuft, you really should come over and play toys some time. Zombie02

Also, I am big into Disney, specifically Disneyland. I have books by the Imagineers, DVDs of classic Disneyland footage, and lots of Disneyland art and ride posters in my house. I just got back from interviewing for a ride engineering position with them yesterday. It would be so awesome if I could work there doing that.