Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When you fight, who rolls first?
01-15-2011, 10:12 PM
When you fight, who rolls first?
Do you roll zombies first or heroes?
Do you find that it matters either way?

Breaking in 3 new players tonight, and being new myself I'm trying to work out some "bugs" from the last time I played.

Zombie24
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
RE: When you fight, who rolls first?
Shouldn't matter. The question is who plays cards first, but Jason Hill didn't want to introducing a timing element in the game. He said it someplace..

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Rolls happen simultaneously.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2011, 10:58 PM
(01-15-2011 10:50 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Rolls happen simultaneously.

Yeah I agree.
01-16-2011, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2011 04:07 AM by D153453D.)
(01-15-2011 10:50 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Rolls happen simultaneously.

Right.

However during games, especially when it's an important fight, I like to draw it out and roll first as the zombies. Seeing that look on them when I drop a 6 is priceless!

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
We roll dice simultaneously.

On the matter of who plays a card first - officially it is also simultaneously but we basically play that whichever turn it is that player gets to play first if they want, so on the Zombie Turn the Zombie Player has the choice to play a fight card and then the Hero (and back and forth if necessary following all rules and restrictions). This stops any arguments of whose card trumps whose, we find.
01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
For me, it depends on who is rolling. I have some people in my group who, whether playing zombie or hero, insist on rolling second. I guess they prefer to see what dice they have to beat before they roll theirs.

On a side note though, in my opinion, if one has to roll first it makes more sense for it to be the zombie, seeing as on a natural fight (no weapons, no cards, no abilities) they have the option of winning outright, regardless of what the hero rolls.
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Cool.

Well we usually have at least one player who has had a few too mnay drinks and we were getting people rolling into the other players die set and mixing it up. LOL!
We were playing on a soft poker table, so all rolls were made on the board.

We just started having the zombies roll first as sort of a house rule and it seemed to work out fine.
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I think it should be simultaneously for most fights given the following:
  • Heroes can have hand weapons that can break sometimes. If the zombies rolls first, and wins, the hero won't use the hand weapon. This really doesn't make much sense since you want the Hero to risk breakage when in a fight.
  • Zombies can have pre-roll enhancement cards that add dice. If the hero rolls first an wins (usually because they win on ties and roll a '6'), then the Zombie player won't play those cards. Again, it's about adding the risk.
  • Lastly, the feel of the game isn't really all that random when you don't roll at the same time in combat. The point of this game is combine strategy and luck, not nullify the luck factor in favor of strategy.
I guess it's really up to the players. I can see how in some circumstances you may want to have the Zombies roll first or the Heroes roll first, but I think most of the time both players should roll their dice at the same time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
As far rolling is concerned due to rules I believe the basic dices need to be rolled simultaneously - so 2 for hero, 1 for zombie. Than the player can decide to use weapons (which imho is stupid and my game team believe it's more realistic to use a weapon every time, but that is out house rule). But than comes the problem of 'who plays the event card first'. We had a situation where the zombie was fend off and the ZP had "Uuuurrrggghh!" and hero had "Get back you devils". And now goes the question - who to answer the question 'do you accept the result of the fight'? We decided that if it is the zombie turn, ZP decides. When it's heroes turn they decide. Couldn't find any official rule for that problem.