Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: It doesn't matter if you win or lose. It's taking part that counts.
Strongly disagree. Winning is all that matters. I don't enjoy the game at all if I lose.
Disagree. I must admit I like to win.
Agree. I really don't mind. I'm just happy to play regardless of the result.
Disagree. I am a doormat and enjoy losing on purpose.
Other level. Put in a post.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Win or lose: Does it matter to you?
02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Win or lose: Does it matter to you?
Ok honesty time. We've all heard the adage: It doesnt matter if you win or lose. It's taking part that counts. I want to know. On what level do you agree with this statement?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
RE: Win or lose: Does it matter to you?
When its anything concerning spending time with loved ones, whether its board games, outdoor sports, etc..i really could care less about winning and losing, this past year i lost a number of relatives and its made me realize time spent with family is.all good. Now with anyone else if we keeping score i wanna win.
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi, well, yea I like to win, who does not. Ok lets try it this way. I just got my ass kicked twice in Chess. It was great Watchmen02 I now have a new challenge - try to increase my skill, slow down, look twice before crossing, back to basics, all these things and more. It was exciting, energizing even.

If either one side is over-powered or weak, to me. The game would not be fun for either side. (period)

Games are only fun if they are a challenge for both sides. Yes, it is more fun to win, than lose.

Yet if you win all the time, your not challenged. If you lose all the time, study or learn more, practice more, and if you still suck. Try a new game.

Yes, i like to win. I would rather be in fear of losing , than to win. I would rather lose and learn than to win to often.

BUT, im a game junky and i will play games i know i will lose at, because i dont like the game or care for it. Just because i like games !!!

I just ordered Homesteader, ive played the game like less than a dozen times. My worst score is 11 and best is 47, and i have not won yet. JunkyInsane19

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, though choice here.
When I play, I like to win. I go for the kill but when I play against people wh o I notice that they don't enjoy losing or even worse...the game in general...I tend to take it down a notch so that the fun remains.

So my choice would be:
I enjoy winning and giving it my best. But I don't mind losing if the overal experience of the game is FUN.
FUN first, win second Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
With LNOE, it's all about the story (moments, chains of events) that unfold during play.
02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
(02-28-2012 06:57 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Ok honesty time. We've all heard the adage: It doesnt matter if you win or lose. It's taking part that counts. I want to know. On what level do you agree with this statement?

With LNOE I just enjoy playing. I like that there are little victories for both sides during the games, e.g. the zombies may kill a hero and overrun a building but eventually lose the game. Of course I play with my kids. I think if I was playing against adults I might feel more competetive and I would definitely be more cutthroat when it came to using cards, etc.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
(02-28-2012 08:54 PM)Emp Wrote:  Hmmm, though choice here.
When I play, I like to win. I go for the kill but when I play against people wh o I notice that they don't enjoy losing or even worse...the game in general...I tend to take it down a notch so that the fun remains.

So my choice would be:
I enjoy winning and giving it my best. But I don't mind losing if the overal experience of the game is FUN.
FUN first, win second Watchmen02

I'm the same as you EMP. I used to run a wargaming club for Warhammer 40k and bringing in new people to play was one of my favourite things to do.

When you have new players thinking about starting, you want the game to be fun and you don't want to trample all over them because it's not fun for them and they wont want to return for a repeat performance. Take a step back, let them play and help with decisions (even if it means you lose a hero) and slowly amp up the difficulty by giving less advice, using tougher combinations of cards, etc. It's a game so enjoy it!

I also take the same method while I'm training in Judo, I will come up against lower belts or younger, smaller people. It's no fun for them to be constantly rag-dolled and thrown around the place, so I'll make it hard for them to throw me, but not impossible. I'll also take opportunities that are left wide-open, then stop and explain why I did it and what they can do to avoid it next time. I get so much enjoyment watching them fight later on against someone else and they employ the advice I give them to foil their opponents Zombie17

That being said, if I'm up against someone who knows what they're doing and are competent, I don't hold back hehehe

What you don't know can eat you... Zombie01
03-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I honestly don't care. Sure I prefer to win, but if I don't no big deal.
I've got a couple "sore loser" friends and it can be a drag when they're not winning. I don't want to be that guy.
03-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Don't care if I win or lose so much as I like keeping it close. That is why I like being zombies. You have a little more control over the tempo of the game. I hate blow-outs.
03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
(02-28-2012 10:13 PM)mqstout Wrote:  With LNOE, it's all about the story (moments, chains of events) that unfold during play.

Couldn't have said it better.

Zalgo....he comes.