Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombie Team can never win...
12-15-2009, 04:24 AM
RE: Zombie Team can never win...
On a whim I bought a pack of 100 glow in the dark zombies from that other zombie game. We use it for custom scenarios which often have almost 121 zombies on the board at once.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
This probably isn't the case, but I found that I was playing something wrong for the first several games... Heroes only kill a zombie if they roll doubles AND roll higher with at least one die. I was playing that they just needed doubles to kill a zombie. I kept wondering why I was reading that the game seemed skewed in favor of the Zombies, when the Heroes were always winning... A few other people have told me that they did the same thing, so I just thought I'd throw that out there in case it might apply.
12-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Grudunza Wrote:This probably isn't the case, but I found that I was playing something wrong for the first several games... Heroes only kill a zombie if they roll doubles AND roll higher with at least one die. I was playing that they just needed doubles to kill a zombie. I kept wondering why I was reading that the game seemed skewed in favor of the Zombies, when the Heroes were always winning... A few other people have told me that they did the same thing, so I just thought I'd throw that out there in case it might apply.

That's actually the 'mutual wounding' rule I was posted over on BGG. I plan to use it in my games but I've changed gaming groups so I'm the only experienced player. (It's suggested for players to give the hero's more of a chance since the heroes tend to not do well when inexperienced).

If your replaying a scenario and remember one side having a definite advantage over the other you could also give one side additional 'dot' rules from Growing Hunger to nullify any perceived advantages. I used to do a similar thing when in Space Hulk by adding or removing starting genestealers.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
12-20-2009, 11:44 PM
ipeefreeli Wrote:On a whim I bought a pack of 100 glow in the dark zombies from that other zombie game. We use it for custom scenarios which often have almost 121 zombies on the board at once.

I've got that game and several hundred of the other zombies but I just am to anal about mixing them cause they are way to small for my liking.
However I started ordering radioactive zombies from FFP now so I will have more zombies....muwahahahahaha
Originally I ordered two extra packs of brown and two extra packs of regular green and one extra set of red so I do have lots now.
My plan was to order two extra sets of the new colors as well but Might just get black and purple ones only I think.
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I've played... 5 game so far, 3 as zombies and 2 as heroes. I've only lost one game has Zombies in a "Die Zombie Die" scenario. Since you have to discard your zombie cards when you get to more than 4 total, Use them. the biggest thing is don't put all your zombies on the same square, cards like the explosives and shotgun will get you every time. Keep your zombies spread in a line so that the heroes can't run away, and if they try they have to run around you instead of right through a small hole in your zombies. It's tough, but when you win as the zombies, you can truly pick up the rule book and do what they say in it by yelling "IN YOUR FACE" at the losing Heroes.
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I know the main reason I almost always win as Zombies is because of the cards. I almost always draw at least 2 new cards at the beginning of my turn if not more. Zombie Masters just can't hold onto cards, I mean I know I sometimes get awesome cards right away, but if they are cards that aren't going to help you right away, like "This could be our last night..." Then discard it. In the last game we had played, in 15 turns I had played at least 70% of the Zombie Deck. Cards are your friend, so use them, don't hold on to them. A great time to use them is if they say "At the Start of a Zombie Turn" right before you draw new cards because that is considered the start of the turn and a nice loop hole to get more cards.
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I've been playing a lot lately with a friend of mine who is renting a room in my house, and we've been taking turns as Heroes/Zombies. The Heroes have not won in something like 7-8 games now. And in a few of those games, the Heroes lost ridiculously quickly, in 5-6 turns. This is with all of the new stuff from SOTF added, so that may be having some effect, but I'm starting to wonder if the Heroes are ever going to win again!
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
We've played tons of games and it seems pretty balanced. When zombie players lose it is typically because they hold on to cards waiting for at the right circumstances to arise. It is ineffective for the zombie player is to be overly strategic in their pursuit of brains.

Personally, I really enjoy playing the zombies and try to be appropriate to the theme of the game and the behaviors of zombies of Hollywood past (pre sprinting, diseased instead of reanimated corpse types).
Zombies are relentless. Bring it, bring it, bring it!!!
Zombies have a tendency to be arranged adjacently to building openings (think horror movie, then think practical application to the game).
Zombies have no sense of self preservation, so keep bringing it!!! If they get destroyed, there'll be more, and more.
Zombies tend to stumble about. So, spread your pieces around, especially in the middle of the board where their ability to move is increased.
Zombies corner heroes. Spread them out and then close in using wave formations.
Zombie hordes are difficult to move through. Keep the hero movement in mind when closing in.
Zombies show up in inconvenient places. Do just that.

Also, many of the zombie cards, while not devastating, do screw with the players in demoralizing ways. Enjoy it for what it is! Also, the captions at the bottom of the cards provide a bonus to your personal level of awesomeness if read aloud. Watchmen02
Add some zombie sound effects by yours truly and the provided soundtrack and just maybe you'll get in their head.
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
We have played about 11 games and I am always the zombies, I have won every time we have played. The heroes are 0/11. I think the reason why is because I play as many zombie cards as possible, I am always drawing 2 to 3 cards on my turn and the heroes are not searching and getting event and weapon cards to help balance the onslot of zombie cards that I play on them. Do the rest of you think this is the reason the heroes keep meeting their demise?
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I would say so, LivEvil. Give them some strategy tips as you play. Remind them that they can search. "You're only in a space with one zombie, are you sure you want to move away? You could stay and search. You have no wounds yet." "Yes, LNOE and Teen Angst are strong cards, but do you really all need to split up so much all the time?"

Also, see my post in variants I made recently to handicap against the zombies slightly because of the card advantage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user