Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
fantasy board game?
02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
RE: fantasy board game?
How about DungeonQuest or Talisman? Too far removed from the wargame style to be of any interest?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 03:28 PM by Old Dwarf.)
An old Thread but a goodie & we have some new enteries that would meet the OP criteria,
Usagi mentioned "Claustrophobia... Great game, simple, and good experience.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia "

Which if your into the Theme is really,really good & a great value with the prepainted figs
and online support.I have this one & love it.

Talos notes DuegonQuest which has been redone & reissued by FFG probably is the closest
to what the OP was looking for,I don't have that one as I don't really care for
the Games rational(come on guys this big treasure salted dungeon,for God sake
just go in & kill the damn Dragon & then get the treasures at leisure.

I'll also make a new one again a recent FFG release,Cadwallon,City of Thieves
Claustrophobia... Great game, simple, and good experience.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia
It's set in the same time frame as Claustrophobia.In fact I call
Cadwallon New Jerusalem & use it as the upper city to Claustrophobia
subterrian tunnels.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Aw, come on OD, there's nothing quite like a game that seems sentient and psychotic enough to kill you as you hit the board...Watchmen02

In lieu of WHQ being reprinted, I guess one of the closest games available now is Runebound, as mentioned earlier in the thread. I haven't looked into Claustrophobia, but it seems to be generally well received.
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm still considering gettin DQ....just for the reasons you give(I just will have to create my own rarional)

Runebound is good,I've found I like it's OoP Midnight Expansion best of all,I could see DQ being
placed in the Midnight setting.

The OP wanted something w/o Expansions on the line of HQ,so it does sort of rule out Runebound
as it's not a dungeon crawl.

OD

02-11-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 04:01 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Thanks a Lot Talos-you pushed me over the edge I just pulled the trigger on DQ,I checked it out again & saw that the
old Catacombs Expansion was incorporated into the 3rd FFG edition so I figured I saved $(God I'm begining to think like my wife)

I'm changing the setting to the world of Eredane,(Midnights setting) and it's now Zardrix Dungeon (she is one of the Night Kings).

OD

02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know whether to say 'Sorry' or 'You're welcome' OD. Watchmen02
I actually own the original GW printing and its expansions, but I have plans to pick up the FFG version as well. I have read the new rules and aside from the criticisms you may have read about the combat system, I like what they did with it. Adding in the catacombs was a major boon, plus you get some of the extra heroes from that expansion as well.
All in all, so long as you are prepared for the bloodshed, mayhem and certain death, you're in for some fun times.
02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Well it probably would have happened sooner or later,your appeal to " bloodshed, mayhem and certain death"
just iced it for me (everything that makes a Game worthwhile).

I like to build campaigns around a series of related Games & DQ does fit right in to the Midnight World.
I worked WHQ into GW The Lord of the Rings Skirmish Game & really didn't want to rework it again,
but really DQ is a much better fit as in WHQ the Heroes often survied.

OD

02-17-2011, 04:14 AM
There was once a game called dragon strike. It was like D&D but condenced down.
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2011 04:57 PM by Old Dwarf.)
I have Dragon Strike,from an E-Bay purchase.I never really played it but the Rules & Board's(2 sided)
look ok.It came with a really Camp Video.

DQ arrived a couple of days ago,so I plan to game it over this President's Day long weekend
& do a Sessions report for BGG.

OD

Just spent over an hour punching out all the stuff & shuffling the decks.The damn bonus cards & token had me confused
& I also shuffled all the combat & power cards together before I realized they had the same backs.
I thought the Runebound character cards were the power cards & thought I was 38 short.

I was about to contact FFG about this error until I noticed the illustration in the rule book & realized
my mistake.So good to go.

Well 2 Games,lasted to turn 19 & turn 23...great fun,glad I picked this up.
3rd Game Ran out of time so dead again!So far I've been knocked off by Razorwings,Killed instantly by a Shade
& Dragon Supper.Just Love this Game.4th Game ,4 Turns & fell into the Bottonless Pit.

02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
What about the D&D board game from a few years ago? That was pretty simple, in fact it was just like Hero Quest (but not as good). Think you could even by expansions...