Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
gears of war
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 07:23 PM by vikinglad.)
RE: gears of war
(01-04-2012 02:45 AM)phantomninja Wrote:  I just played two games of GOW and am pretty impressed. I painted 10 minis and they really bring the board alive. I would recommend anyone who is a big fan of the franchise to check it out.

PLEASE post some pics of those figs if you get a chance. I am interested to see how others paint these. It doesn't seem like I need much more than black, white, flesh, and some metallic steel. The detail on them is very good, and I bet they really pop with the right shading/highlighting.

A funny side note: The first game we played, I mistakely only used the General AI cards that were called out on the mission setup card for emergence. I did not also put in the individual enemy AI cards. We were playing with only about 6-7 cards in the AI deck, and half of them made us choose a second AI card. Needless to say, this made for a really brutal game. With four players, we were able to seal the emergence hole, but got wiped out when their reinforcements arrived.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
i bet some space maring mini's might work.. I have boxes and boxes of those painted up!
01-12-2012, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 07:50 PM by phantomninja.)
I just finished painting all the miniatures for the game, which took about 14 days. I am trying to fix the MACRO option on my camera...so as soon as that is fixed I shall post pics. I went very subtle with these miniatures. I used mostly a dark grey with black wash and and some red splashes with the locusts. The only exception was for the Kantus models. I looked at the actual Neca figure and used that as a reference....so instead of red its dark blue. I was playing Horde last night on the 360 and it looks like the Kantus armor/coat is a dark brown...I could be wrong. As for the COGS I used light flesh with a sepia wash and used dark grey with a black wash for their armor. I used a light blue to indicate their glowing armor.
I just hope they launch an expansion with more models such as the Grinder, Mauler, Skorge, and Bloodmount. Who knows they might just add some/all the lambent from Gears 3! Of course they can pair them up with new COG characters. @ Soundguy...with some modding the Space Marines could be made into Onyx Guard models.
01-12-2012, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2012 05:30 PM by phantomninja.)
I found these painted on BBG.
These have not been painted by me. The BGG user Villé Philippe did a great job with these mini's.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

01-13-2012, 03:51 AM
WOW, cant wait until I reach a level of paint mastery like this.

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
This Berserker was done within 30 minutes or so. It took longer waiting for the wash and paint to dry.

01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet! That really brings out the detail. I love the skin textures on these figs. I plan on doing a somewhat minimalist approach to these myself. Great job.
01-20-2012, 10:31 PM
ugh.. i got to get time one day to do some more mini painting...
01-21-2012, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 08:21 AM by phantomninja.)
Here is my subtle take on the COG characters, Baird, Marcus, and Dom.

Once again a simple technique done to the Boomers for Gears of War the BG.
Another quick fix for my Wretches and Tickers.

01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
awesome (sigh)