Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[split] Mice and Mystics
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 05:24 PM by mqstout.)
RE: [split] Mice and Mystics
Generally, I actually don't watch many videos. I much prefer reading good reviews in text. I find videos and audio don't work for me. (Especially how much time they take!)

And especially how videos are usually rife with errors that could put bad habits into people who watch them then get the game...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2013, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 07:23 PM by alderdust.)
(01-25-2013 05:23 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Generally, I actually don't watch many videos. I much prefer reading good reviews in text. I find videos and audio don't work for me. (Especially how much time they take!)

And especially how videos are usually rife with errors that could put bad habits into people who watch them then get the game...

i understand this game is actually led by game designer jerry hawthorne who from what most can tell were very little errors performed and when there was one it was corrected in the next video. each video generally only goes through one round of play. But to each his own. There are some nice reviews out there for this game. The only thing people said the reason they wouldn't like it is if they dont enjoy the story feel to the game vs just a dungeon crawl without a incorporated story.
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2013, 07:19 PM
nod. I watched some of the aforelinked "how to play" video by Plaid Hat and liked what I saw enough to read reviews. It seems like a game I'd like.
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 07:31 PM by alderdust.)
Yeah the same guy who did the plaid hat video is the main guy in watch it played Rodney Smith. I love the story behind it they have announced a new expansion for late 2013 or early 2014 already and are starting on some new character designs.

The new hero is named "Nere' the Wild Mystic!!"

[Image: neraw.jpg]
01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
The price for used ones might go down in time. The reason it's expensive at the moment is because the game ran out of copies and is running a second printing sometime soon.

That said, the game is quite fun. I do have some issues with controls, though. There are certain scenarios where you control 3, or 6 mice (as opposed to the standard 4) which would make it frustrating if you're playing a group with 4.
01-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Yeah playing as a campaign could be frustrating at times I could see
07-03-2013, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 01:52 AM by LabRat.)
(01-28-2013 02:06 AM)Bokya Wrote:  That said, the game is quite fun. I do have some issues with controls, though. There are certain scenarios where you control 3, or 6 mice (as opposed to the standard 4) which would make it frustrating if you're playing a group with 4.

I glanced at the story book to see the number of players required, and while you're correct that sometimes the scenarios require as many as all 6 mice in play, there's only one scenario that limits the party to 3 mice. And for that scenario, there's a 4th mice that the 4th player can have limited control over. I haven't read the scenarios where the 6 mice are split into teams of 3 though.

I'd highly recommend this game, especially for those who are working on custom rules to convert LNOE into a full co-op game.

First off, there's an Encounter deck that determines what kind of enemies spawn and how many, and that depends on timing. Converting this to LNOE, you can set the number of zombies that spawn depending on where the sun track is. You can even use two sun tracks if you have Timber Peak, and have a different progression for the second sun track. And instead of limiting yourself to the number of zombies, you can even include spawning Zombie Heroes, Grave Dead, Zombies with Grave Weapons, Zombies with different Timber Peak upgrades, depending on your LNOE Encounter rules. The enemy AI rules are also simple and can be applied to LNOE.

Campaign rules can also be applied to a custom LNOE co-op game - the heroes can opt to carry one item each to the next scenarios, and keep any existing skills they earned. This can apply to the LNOE weapons and Timber Peak Hero Upgrades.

One thing I hate about the game is that you can't really stop yourself from losing if you're getting unlucky rolls. There's no reliable way to keep cheese off the minion wheel.

To relate it to LNOE, this is what happens - During combat, minions roll dice and can get cheese in the results (like rolling a 1). Each time that happens, a piece of cheese is added to the minion wheel. Every time the pieces of cheese on the wheel reaches 6, (I forgot what it's called) the game progression track advances one step. When the game progression track reaches a certain point, you lose. The game offers very little control over rolling the cheese - when it happens, it happens. There are only a few effects that allow you to re-roll results, if you don't have them then all you can do is watch as the cheese builds up.
07-03-2013, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 05:46 PM by alderdust.)
This is a great game I have played through the first 6 chapters
07-06-2013, 11:04 PM
havn't seen this yet!
07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
In August the german edition is released and than I get it gg