TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Timber Peak - Question about fire deaths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, in my group, one of the regulars has ALL of the expansions, including Timber Peak. We played Timber Peak in our gaming night last night and had a question come up about fires. We couldn’t seem to figure this out in the rulebook. I know Timber Peak is fairly new, so maybe nobody as of yet knows the answer. However, I thought I’d give you guys a try.

So, do deaths as result of a fire count towards the opposing team’s death toll? For example, if the zombies are trying to kill 4 heroes and one of the heroes dies because of a fire, does this count towards the zombies’ 4 kills? Technically it isn’t a zombie who killed the hero. However, a hero did still die.

Same question for if the fire kills a zombie. Does this count towards the heroes’ kills? For example, in scenarios where they are trying to kill X number of zombies? That question is even a bit more confusing considering technically the fire was started by the zombies (accidentally, I would assume), so it is kind of more like the zombie accidentally killed itself. Thoughts?
I know that the designer is on record as saying any hero death counts

"Hero Death:
Every Hero death adds up toward a Zombie victory."

Even fire or Fr Joseph using strength of spirit to cancel something causing his death.

I believe it is the same for zombie deaths for when they die by fire, no matter who starts it. I think the only exception is when a card specifically says that a zombie is removed from the game that those don't count as zombies killed.
SO a chowder frog kill and a Nom-Nom Insane04 head munching kill is still a kill for the zombies!..

Even better yet.. its just like any ball caught in the end zone at the end of the game by either team counts as a Seahawk touchdown..easy..
(09-27-2012 08:58 PM)Ogthar Wrote: [ -> ]I know that the designer is on record as saying any hero death counts

"Hero Death:
Every Hero death adds up toward a Zombie victory."

Even fire or Fr Joseph using strength of spirit to cancel something causing his death.

I believe it is the same for zombie deaths for when they die by fire, no matter who starts it. I think the only exception is when a card specifically says that a zombie is removed from the game that those don't count as zombies killed.

Actually, Ogthar, there has been some debate over the Father Joseph situation. Jason Hill himself has even commented that you could really go either way on that one. So, that is why I ask. There has been argument in the past that self sacrifices don't count towards the opposing team's total.

Maybe you can just chalk this one up to being similar. So it is the sort of thing where you can go with what your group thinks it best.

In the case of the fires, I kind of lean towards saying it does count towards the zombies' kill total. After all, in the game it is very clearly the zombies who start the fire. Even if it is accidental (thematically) that still means that a zombie caused that hero to die, even if indirectly.
I'm strongly with the "every hero death is a zombie point". Even in the Father Joe situation -- the ZP was the one who engineered the situation that made the players think the sacrifice was necessary...

It was the ZP who engineered the situation that made the players stay precariously close to the fire.
Where did Jason Hill say that? I was going off of samuraitrev's new rule index thread that said that each answer was from straight Hill. The quote was pasted from there.

I haven't seen anything about self sacrifices not counting. Otherwise it could lead to some really degenerate strategies like Fr Joseph intentionally killing himself to cancel an unimportant lights out marker just before he would have been killed for the zombie's game winning kill.
(09-28-2012 08:55 PM)Ogthar Wrote: [ -> ]Where did Jason Hill say that? I was going off of samuraitrev's new rule index thread that said that each answer was from straight Hill. The quote was pasted from there.

I haven't seen anything about self sacrifices not counting. Otherwise it could lead to some really degenerate strategies like Fr Joseph intentionally killing himself to cancel an unimportant lights out marker just before he would have been killed for the zombie's game winning kill.

The quote is from board game geek

'Every Hero death adds up toward a Zombie victory.'

I would say that's set in stone. Regardless if it's a self sacrifice.

As for burning Zombies counting towards Hero victory i.e. DZD scenario. I'd say yes if the Heroes started the fire. Otherwise I will refrain from commenting upon as I don't have TP yet.

EDIT:
Here'e a link to a thread I found on BGG http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5737986#5737986
and here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5240497#5240497

Hope this helps
I'd say regardless of who started the fire, any deaths would count toward the opposing side. This would prevent intentional suicides to keep the opposing side from winning.
(10-19-2012 09:32 PM)LabRat Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say regardless of who started the fire, any deaths would count toward the opposing side. This would prevent intentional suicides to keep the opposing side from winning.

There aren't really very many situations I know of in the game where your character can intentionally sacrifice themselves. Basically there is just Father Joseph's ability. There may also be some cards perhaps. I know of at least one that comes with one of the web exclusive supplements. It is called "I'll see you in Hell," and allows a hero carrying an explosive to sacrifice himself/herself to kill all zombies in the same space as him/her. But, I think I recall that this card specifically states that it then does not count as a zombie kill.

Any other "suicide" or intentional sacrifice I know of that is possible in the game is when you sacrifice one hero to save another, or to drag zombies away from a goal point or something. But that is actually involving a zombie killing the hero.
"I'll See You In Hell" has no clause. It's only thing like that is it removes the hero from the board (so they couldn't become a ZH). It's still a hero death, point for the Zeds.

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....n_Hell!%22
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's