TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: New Character - Katie the 9 Year Old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Howdy from a new community member!

I just got LNoE and TGH within the last couple weeks and have already logged 10 games...great game! I'm the sort of guy who almost always tinkers, so when I stumbles across some lovely modern-day minis I started getting creative.

The result is my first custom character, Katie the zombie hunting 9 year old. The character card and a special Item card only she can use (so you don't have to worry about blending it into your hero deck) are available at this link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44384

The mini that inspired her is:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/produ...86&xSec=17

Stats are below:

KATIE THE NINE YEAR OLD
Keywords: None (but see special rules)
Flavor text: "...Mom?...Dad?"
Start: Library.
1 wound.
SCRAPPY: Katie fends off a zombie on a tie, but must win the Fight to cause a wound. If a "Heroes win ties" condition is in play, Katie wins ties as normal.
LOADED FOR (TEDDY) BEAR: Katie begins play with the Baseball Bat and Trash Can Lid.
LITTLE KID: Katie can only use the Revolver, Baseball Bat, and Crowbar weapons. She doesn't have keywords, but can use any Hero card or ability that requires the Student keyword.
Background: Katie's parents always told her there was no such thing as monsters. They were wrong. The question now is whether Katie can find them again.

The Trash Can Lid was always intended to be a Katie ability, but I broke it out into a separate card so I wouldn't have to have dense rules text on the character card (it was a token originally) The card says:

TRASH CAN LID: When Katie would take a wound, you can discard this card instead. If Katie begins her turn in an outside space with a building wall, she can retrieve this card from the discard pile instead of moving. This card cannot be removed from the game and cannot be used by any character other than Katie.

So why doesn't she have keywords? All cards that target Males, Females, or Students imply young adults or adults. Being able to play Catfight or This Could Be Our Last Night on Earth on Katie just skeeved me out.

So...thoughts?
I like the feel of it, but I doubt that any character with but 1 wound is going to be terribly playable.
Very inspired!

I like it.
mqstout Wrote:I like the feel of it, but I doubt that any character with but 1 wound is going to be terribly playable.

She wants playtesting yet, that much I agree with. But my group is excited about her, so as soon as the mini arrives I'll file a report...
I have a daughter named Katie... and she's nine... that's kind of scary...
Sárku Wrote:I have a daughter named Katie... and she's nine... that's kind of scary...

Pure coincidence - so named because that's the name of the mini.
twopiearr Wrote:Howdy from a new community member!

I just got LNoE and TGH within the last couple weeks and have already logged 10 games...great game! I'm the sort of guy who almost always tinkers, so when I stumbles across some lovely modern-day minis I started getting creative.

The result is my first custom character, Katie the zombie hunting 9 year old. The character card and a special Item card only she can use (so you don't have to worry about blending it into your hero deck) are available at this link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44384

The mini that inspired her is:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/produ...86&xSec=17

Stats are below:

KATIE THE NINE YEAR OLD
Keywords: None (but see special rules)
Flavor text: "...Mom?...Dad?"
Start: Library.
1 wound.
SCRAPPY: Katie fends off a zombie on a tie, but must win the Fight to cause a wound. If a "Heroes win ties" condition is in play, Katie wins ties as normal.
LOADED FOR (TEDDY) BEAR: Katie begins play with the Baseball Bat and Trash Can Lid.
LITTLE KID: Katie can only use the Revolver, Baseball Bat, and Crowbar weapons. She doesn't have keywords, but can use any Hero card or ability that requires the Student keyword.
Background: Katie's parents always told her there was no such thing as monsters. They were wrong. The question now is whether Katie can find them again.

The Trash Can Lid was always intended to be a Katie ability, but I broke it out into a separate card so I wouldn't have to have dense rules text on the character card (it was a token originally) The card says:

TRASH CAN LID: When Katie would take a wound, you can discard this card instead. If Katie begins her turn in an outside space with a building wall, she can retrieve this card from the discard pile instead of moving. This card cannot be removed from the game and cannot be used by any character other than Katie.

So why doesn't she have keywords? All cards that target Males, Females, or Students imply young adults or adults. Being able to play Catfight or This Could Be Our Last Night on Earth on Katie just skeeved me out.

So...thoughts?

Interesting, indeedy!

Keyword- I'd go ahead and give Katie the Female - Student keyword and just add verbiage similar to Father Joseph's, "Cannot be the target of 'This Could be Our LNoE' Zombie card." Could add this under her "Little Kid" ability.

Little Kid- Coupled with a single Wound, I feel this would make Katie highly underpowered. It makes sense that she shouldn't be running around with a chainsaw, meat cleaver, and the like. But at this point she can't quite fulfill the roll of hunter (ie Johnny, Sheriff, Detective) or support (ie Becky, Father, Amanda).

Giving her the ability to Hide (like Amanda) or a movement advantage would drastically increase her value. Since Katie is a "little kid" maybe she can squeeze through tight spaces like a Zombie and move through walls? I'd use her!

Scrappy- Clarification. When you say "must win to cause a Wound" you mean she still needs a higher roll and a double, correct?

Lastly, would like to see the trash can lid something all Heroes can use. If a little kid can shield herself with it, so can an adult, right?
SPARTAN VI Wrote:Keyword- I'd go ahead and give Katie the Female - Student keyword and just add verbiage similar to Father Joseph's, "Cannot be the target of 'This Could be Our LNoE' Zombie card." Could add this under her "Little Kid" ability.

There were enough cards I didn't want able to target her that it seemed simpler, again from a text density standpoint, to do it this way.

Quote:Little Kid- Coupled with a single Wound, I feel this would make Katie highly underpowered. It makes sense that she shouldn't be running around with a chainsaw, meat cleaver, and the like. But at this point she can't quite fulfill the roll of hunter (ie Johnny, Sheriff, Detective) or support (ie Becky, Father, Amanda).

Giving her the ability to Hide (like Amanda) or a movement advantage would drastically increase her value. Since Katie is a "little kid" maybe she can squeeze through tight spaces like a Zombie and move through walls? I'd use her!

That's an interesting idea...I'll have to think about that.

Quote:Scrappy- Clarification. When you say "must win to cause a Wound" you mean she still needs a higher roll and a double, correct?

Correct. Basically on a tie no one wins.

Quote:Lastly, would like to see the trash can lid something all Heroes can use. If a little kid can shield herself with it, so can an adult, right?

The main reason I did it that way was proof against the fact that it's impossible, at least with the techniques available to me, to blend the card into the hero deck in a way that it wouldn't be immediately obvious. That said, I wanted it to be something that made her unique. If you can suggest a way to work it into the deck that isn't immediately obvious I'm all ears. Watchmen02
twopiearr Wrote:There were enough cards I didn't want able to target her that it seemed simpler, again from a text density standpoint, to do it this way.

Replace "Little Kid" with "Cute Kid" - Cannot carry or use weapons. Whenever draws a weapon, discard it and draw a new hero card. Exception: <list>.

This way, she'd ferret out the non-weapon items and (what I originally had in mind) the event cards. She sure would draw the attention of T-Bone, Doc Jones, Lizzie, the shop teacher, etc. This puts her squarely into the support role she'd certainly fill by having only one wound.

I would disagree with giving her a movement bonus or hide ability. You wouldn't want to infringe on other characters' abilities too much. I could see moving through walls, though possibly only to exit a building.
mqstout Wrote:Replace "Little Kid" with "Cute Kid" - Cannot carry or use weapons. Whenever draws a weapon, discard it and draw a new hero card. Exception: <list>.

This way, she'd ferret out the non-weapon items and (what I originally had in mind) the event cards. She sure would draw the attention of T-Bone, Doc Jones, the shop teacher, the shop keeper, etc. This puts her squarely into the support role she'd certainly fill by having only one wound.

Also interesting. My initial thought was that she could pull weapons to give to the other heroes, but she'd need a greater carry capacity to make that worthwhile (though starting her with the Backpack instead of the baseball bat would accomplish that). But this has a lot of potential. Also puts weapons into discard for the location searches.

HRM...
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's