TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Work in progress - LNOE 3D board (updated 5/17/2014)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hope it goes well, pretty spectacular work.
This looks great! But i bet the assembly for each game would take awhile.
(05-17-2014 11:42 PM)DrkBlueXG Wrote: [ -> ]This looks great! But i bet the assembly for each game would take awhile.

Had my first game last tonight and, surprisingly, it all went together fairly quickly and easily.

The group had a blast but I'll definitely need to make more L-boards for next time. Only having 4 L-boards available certainly kills the random experience that is common in this game.

I'm going to take a little time off from this project but I've already got some prep work done on future boards so I'll revisit this again in the near future.
i have seen your project in BBG. wonder? which marterial did you use?!?
(05-27-2014 07:45 AM)darkskynyr Wrote: [ -> ]i have seen your project in BBG. wonder? which marterial did you use?!?

There must be a similar project because I did not post my pictures to BGG. Maybe someone else saw my pictures here and then posted them there? I'll take a look there later.

Anyway, to answer you question, I used mostly Elmer's foamcore for the walls with either O scale train scenery type plastic sheets that resemble various stone patterns or I cast my own wall material using plaster molds. For the interior work, most of the walls are just scrapbook paper. Interior items are a combination of o scale or 28mm miniatures or pieces I cast myself from molds and then put together.
These boards are amazing. I am surprised that you are actually allowing people to play on them with how much work must have gone into these!

I want to play with your group!!
Killer work. Glad you finally got a chance to play on it. It mustve felt so lively!

Do you think you'll find it difficult to go back to the original game board pices after that playing experience?
So, a few things after finally having played on it:

First and foremost, everyone thought it was extremely fun to play with. As mentioned previously, there were still some unfinished parts but that in no way impacted the gameplay.

Nobody seemed to have trouble with figure movement even though not every square is overly defined. However, I still want to go back and work on this area.

A couple of the negatives:

It took me a LONG time just to get to this point (four nearly completed L boards). I doubt it will take as long to produce four more because I learned a lot along the way and this should save me some time for future builds. But, I really need to get more L boards done before I continue to play with a 3D board. Only having four L boards completed will turn boring quickly (we played two games on the same layout.)

Also, the board is BIG because of my increaing the size of each square to 3 inches. The table we usually play on was nearly full from the sheer size of the board. I'm going to need a bigger table to play this on, I think. I can probably get away with it for now but if I ever plan on incorporating the outer forest L boards from Blood in the Forest, I need a larger play area.

Line of site is definitely affected. If a model from all the way across the board from you is located inside a building, you couldn't always see the miniature from where you are sitting, causing people to sometimes have to stand for a moment to remember how many zombies were in their space with them or to just remember the number of zombies in a building. I have a spare poker table I may use going forward because the play area is a bit more "sunken" than a normal table and will give people a better overhead view. They might still have to ask a friend to move their miniature for them if it is on the direct opposite side from where they are sitting.

Anyway, I'll continue to build and tweak. Taking a short break for now but I'll post some WIP pics when i start up again.

Thanks again for looking ay my project and following this thread!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's