Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Secrets with "Reveal Immediately"
05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Secrets with "Reveal Immediately"
My games have hardly ever exposed a "Reveal Immediately" Secret possessed by a Town Elder. This makes me consider that we've been playing the game wrong. So I'm going to go through the possible circumstances where (in the basic game, no expansions) a player can see a Secret, and in which cases the Secret MUST be revealed:

1. As an action, player pays 2 Investigation, and looks at the Secrets of an Elder.

2. As an action, player pays 1 Investigation and possess a "Book of Town History" Item card, and looks.

3. At the beginning of the game, Thomas the Courier's "Delivery" ability states, "At the start of the game, may peek at the Secrets of one Town Elder without revealing them."

4. The Event cards "Intuitive Hunch" and "Brilliant Deduction" include the option, "Play to immediately peek at the Secrets of one Town Elder without revealing them."

5. The Event card "Gossip and Rumors" reads, "Play at any time (except during a Fight) to immediately peek at the Secrets of one Town Elder without revealing them...."

6. The Manor card "Whispered Rumors" reads, "Make a Spirit 5+ test. For every 5+ rolled, you may look at the Secrets of one Town Elder."

7. The Windmill card "Broken Spectacles" reads, "Make a Cunning 5+ test... If you roll at least one 6, you may also look at the Secrets of Doctor Manning."

Of course, an Accusation (Rules, page 19) provokes the effects of all Secrets cards possessed by a Town Elder.

My expectation is that those cards that say to "Reveal Immediately" only do so in situations 1, 2, 6 and 7. The others say specifically that they do not provoke the revealing. I also consider that the player may CHOOSE to reveal the Secret at that time when not forced, and have the card play out its usual effects.

Does this fit your interpretations of the rules?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Secrets with "Reveal Immediately" - loremasterstl - 05-23-2010 08:13 PM