Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
A few of my own rules
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2011 12:15 AM by serdel.)
RE: A few of my own rules
(01-12-2011 11:28 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  The zeds' unquenchable desire for brains draws him to the hero if he is in this range. To fight here, the hero would have had to willingly ran here, stayed in place with some zombies, or had some zombies encroach upon him. In any case, his sweet brains are calling to the undead, and they are answering.

And that's why if there is more than 1 zombie in a space they all have an appetite for his brain and all march at him:> Not only I consider this reasonable but quite often it's an only chance for the zombies to kill a hero with a goon weapon like chainsaw or baseball bat or anything else that adds an extra die. You can only pump a zombie to max of 3 dices - the hero can have more. Add a crowbar and there you have it - a hero very hard to kill (in our game it was impossible - he/she was immortal running and slaughtering the zombies who had no choice to run away..). And OK I can see that in 1 vs 1 fight a zombie has better chances towards a single human if the guy is vulnerable. But as soon as he gets some weapon it's more likely for a human to kill the zombie. And that's nicely mirrored in the game. But if the hero it's facing 2 or 3 zombies it's far more difficult for him - and the game brings nothing to that.

(01-12-2011 11:28 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  There are cards like locked door and tripped that can negatively affect an escaping hero's movement, as well as cards like Overconfidence that lock him in a square. Although in real life there is always a chance for something to go wrong, I would say this play mechanic was moved from dice rolls to the cards to keep it from happening more than it should.
Yeah I think your right. In fact I can see that this rule (talking about my own) would probably be used the most often in the game and bring more dice rolling...

(01-12-2011 11:28 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Regardless of my current circumstances, if someone stood 15 feet away from me (range 2?), aimed a shotgun, and yelled "Duck," I would duck. I can see what you are saying, though. It does come up in movies sometimes. This one would be interesting to try to incorporate. It should maybe be different for different gun types, with a card called "Hit the Dirt!" that would keep you from having to take the "Roll to hit heroes" roll.

I guess that bringing range here could confuse the rules a little bit (well for me it's not a big confusion but I understand that board games designers try to simplify the rules). But let's say If the shot is made from a distance of 3 or more you do the rolling. Although I am still not quite convinced by this. I mean it often happens at those movies with a simple pistol not a sniper gun. And I can understand that - gun is a powerful weapon exceptionally for inexperience shooter and can cause a lot of damage accidentally. But for example the 'law enforced' heroes can have a rule of avoiding this roll buy having a sure hand. It also wonders me why they don't have any additional rules for fire arms since they are much more experienced shooters than rest of the gang

(01-12-2011 11:58 PM)mqstout Wrote:  I guess all of them might be expansions. Here's one example: http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....h_and_Claw

And that's exactly what I believe should be happening each time.

(01-12-2011 11:58 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Remember this tidbit: If the hero ends his turn in a space with zombies, he'll have to fight ALL of those zombies on his turn. And then, again on the zombie turn, he'll have to fight them. That's pretty devastating even without zombies having other bonuses for mobs. Zombies are already hard to kill (they win on ties, and to kill them you need to have both the highest die and have doubles...). I doubt there's a way to make zombies work in swarms without making them suck individually.

Yes fighting all of the zombies is reasonable but there are just plain simple fights all the time. And again - after the games of having and overpowered heroes (it wasn't only once) I don't consider zombies so tough any more... I just consider this realistic - fighting 2 zombies is more difficult than 1.

(01-12-2011 11:58 PM)mqstout Wrote:  On the flip side, heroes don't always work together. Look at all the movie tropes -- half the time, the survivors are as much a harm to one another than the zombies are! Within LNOE, we already have the cards "Bickering" and "Don't trust 'em" and "Teen Angst" to bring that to the forefront. LNOE is supposed to play like a movie. People don't work together often or well without being trained to do so, especially under the stress of fighting zombies. (Work together situations exist too: being in the same space on the zombie turn where you split up the zombies instead of each of you fighting them all, using your items (first aid) on an ally, the card Unnecessary Self Sacrifice, the hero Nurse Becky, and all of the various townsfolk events).

Yes you are right but in those movies misunderstanding between people happen rarely and it usually considers one individual - and this is perfectly mirrored in the game by the cards you listed. But remember how often it is that they cooperate together when fighting the zombies, standing side by side, covering their back.

(01-12-2011 11:58 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Now if you want "swarm tactics", check out FFP's other game that uses the LNOE "engine": Invasion from Outer Space. It was built from the ground-up with the martians operating in packs, and getting better and stronger as they work in these packs.

Bo I don't want a swarm tactics although it's quite common in the movies - that is in fact the only thing that makes zombies powerful when you think about it. They are slow and dumb. But the problem is that they come from all sides at the same time at you. If they would stand in a nice line coming 1 by 1 there's no problem - you can take them until you get tired. But the 'reality' is that if they are coming they are attacking at the same time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A few of my own rules - serdel - 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - mqstout - 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - vikinglad - 01-12-2011, 10:28 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - serdel - 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - vikinglad - 01-12-2011, 11:28 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - serdel - 01-13-2011 12:01 AM
RE: A few of my own rules - vikinglad - 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM
RE: A few of my own rules - mqstout - 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM
RE: A few of my own rules - Orguss - 01-16-2011, 11:07 AM