Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: If you could only watch one zombie movie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Brain Dead/Dead Alive (1992)
28 Days Later (2002)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Fido (2006)
Dead Snow (2009)
Zombieland (2009)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the best zombie film of all time?
01-21-2021, 05:38 PM
RE: What is the best zombie film of all time?
(01-21-2021 02:23 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  If you don't mind subtitles, it's worth checking out "Train to Busan" and "The Wailing", or even "REC". It feels that American horror has gotten stale so I've been going international for a fix. I honestly wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

Of these and the ones listed in the poll, at least of those I've seen, I'm leaning towards "Train to Busan". It's a solid production with an interesting cast of characters, a bit of humor, and running plot threads that actually payoff by the end. And the hordes! Just when you think they couldn't top the undead body count, they do again and again. I had no idea Korea was making productions this big. The only snag I had was that the pacing can be slow at times, but overall it still ranks as one of the better films I've seen in awhile. I mentioned it in passing to a friend who doesn't care for zombie films and even he enjoyed it. While it does have a sequel, "Peninsula", I don't particularly recommend it. It's merely...OK. It's not a bad film, it just felt that they were too self-conscious and trying too hard to make a more "Hollywood" film. Then add the over the top melodrama at the end that Korea is probably more known for... Yeah.

As for "The Wailing", I'd put it between those two. It's not as good as Busan, with worse pacing and some cultural symbolism that's hard to cut through, but it feels more genuine in its Asian horror roots. Much like its bumbling cop protagonist, it's not trying to be anything else than what it is, and yet manages to rise to the occasion when it needs to. Actually, I think having a slightly out of shape average Joe as the reluctant "hero" sells the suspense. And the ending might be surprising, or not. It is foreshadowed a bit, as they leave some clues around, but they're not so obvious that you'd feel stupid for missing them either.

The original "REC" is a solid film. It's definitely a lower budget production than the others, as it mostly takes place within a quarantined apartment building. It might have been more groundbreaking in the "found footage" genre when it was first released in 2007, but overall still worth checking out.

If anyone is interested, I can post more about my misadventures in foreign horror cinema.

Thanks for the heads up with these films. If I can find any of them, I will give them a watch. I'm particularly interested in Train to Busan.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on horror cinema. Either add it to this thread or start your own.
Have you seen Reality Z on Netflix yet? It's a Brazilian version of the UK Dead Set. I thought it was pretty cool. Patchy acting in places and not without its faults but an enjoyable watch none the less.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the best zombie film of all time? - samuraitrev - 01-21-2021 05:38 PM