Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roll-to-move modifications?
10-04-2022, 07:12 PM
Roll-to-move modifications?
So personally I find any dice mechanics without mitigation to be outdated and pretty poor design anymore. Fortune and Glory took a big hit for me, when compared to A Touch of Evil, because the world map is so big that rolling poorly really can just cripple your game pretty consistently. I think I gave up on Catan forever the 2nd time I had a game where everyone just rolled 11,12, and 7 for three hours straight and nothing happened the entire game.

Shadows of Brimstone fixed this whole issue by granting you a grit token, which could immediately be used to ADD a whole extra die to your movement. Very clever and clean solution. A Touch of Evil never really gave me an issue simply because the locations are close enough together that bad dice rolls don't normally ruin a game.

Last night I introduced someone to the game and against all odds they rolled a 1 on all but 3 movement rolls in a 3 hour game and a half hour long game. It was funny at first, but felt rather tragic near the end as my friend wasn't really able to experience the game as they had practically no agency over their character's positioning. They were playing the Scarlet Shadow too, and were essentially trapped in the Abandoned Keep the entire game, due to how the special respawn rules work for that character.

We still won, barely, but it really raised a serious flag in my appraisal of the game. I know Fortune and Glory has alternate rules for movement, but was wondering if anyone else had experimented with any optional movement or dice mitigation rules that avoid this pitfall of Role-to-move breaking the game when RNG works against you.

Thanks FFP fam.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Roll-to-move modifications? - Raynor - 10-04-2022 07:12 PM
RE: Roll-to-move modifications? - Raynor - 11-04-2022, 03:56 PM
RE: Roll-to-move modifications? - Raynor - 11-08-2022, 04:25 PM