Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any one enjoy Arkham Horror?
08-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Any one enjoy Arkham Horror?
I have recently discovered arkham horror, and purchased the first two expansions, does any one play and can anyone recommend any expansions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 01:46 AM
RE: Any one enjoy Arkham Horror?
I like the game and play it but dont own it. I can recomend a very
fun game made by the same people is Elder Sign. Its not nearly as
long to play and allot of fun

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
08-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Elder sign and Arkham horror are so much luck you are at the mercy of the dice gods
08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
(08-27-2012 05:01 AM)archangelfor Wrote:  I have recently discovered arkham horror, and purchased the first two expansions, does any one play and can anyone recommend any expansions?

What expansions did you get? I suggest getting Curse of the Dark Pharoah and King in Yellow first and avoid the big box expansions for now. Then you can get Dunwich or Innsmouth. DO NOT GET MISKATONIC, which is more of a expansion of a expansion, right away unless you have at least two of of the big box expansions
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I was a AH fan(still am for the most part) , but AToE has replaced it as my Horror go to game.

AH is a complex , involed affair and gets more complex and longer each expansion. Last game i played with Dunwich and King in Yellow mixed in took over 5 hours, 3 investigators.

AToE with all expansions on advanced(except Coast, Dammit!) for 3 heroes took less than 3 hours.

Personally i find AToE more satisfying as a horror investigation than i do AH , AH boils down to a Portal close race prior to the AO waking up...hrmm..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
AToE is on my short list of games to buy, right after COPE and FANG
10-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I enjoy Arkham Horror. If you are looking to get into the expansions, I recommend Lurker at the Threshold. That is the expansion that brings you the most bang for your buck. The trick with Arkham Horror once you start getting expansions is properly incorporating in them into the base game. For instance you can incorporate all of the common & unique items as well as the spells easily and they add to the game very well. The trick is doing the same with the Encounter Cards and additional mechanics.

For instance I do not use the Lurker mechanic at all because I find it needlessly fiddly in an already fiddly game. Also I enjoy the base game and think it already is a good game as is and doesn't require anything else but items. So I will confess I mostly buy the expansions for the items, spells, and monsters all of which I selectively incorporate in the game to maximize my gaming experience. Just find that balance between enjoyment and book keeping and it'll be a neat experience. The good news is the best way to find that balance is repeatedly playing the game and seeing what you want to expand on. So have fun!
10-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Me and my family loved AToE but when we finally got AH...WOW...everyone one loves it by far the most!
We just added the first expansion and everyone is more excited than ever!
10-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I have all the AH Games + a copy of the original pre-FFG Game.It's the Mythos!
However I prefer AToE as it holds it's theme better.

AH throws in a grab bag of monsters that have nothing to do with
the GOO in the game.AToE gives it's Villains their own unique Minions.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I bought it this summer and I've played it once. And now that I have new ATOE stuff, the chances of playing it again any time soon are remote.

I'm starting to feel like I wasted the money...=/

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays