Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cornfield
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: Cornfield
Fact i guess...

Still if a hero wants the fight... he may scream and make the zombie find him...

So if a hero wants the fight i dismiss the roll.
If the hero doesn't want. The roll is on... no matter whose turn is.

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
(03-22-2012 04:12 PM)mqstout Wrote:  The RAW aren't explicit in either way on that. The two possible interpretations:

(1) The end of the hero activation is called "Fight Zombies" worded "At the end of a Hero’s turn, they must fight EVERY Zombie in their space." [http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=LNOE_Fight_Zombies] This gives the idea that, if the hero has ended his turn with a zombie, has made the choice, 'Hey, I'm going to try to kill it!'. This means that the the hero is doing the seeking, and the fights must happen -- all of them -- without canceling.

IE: No rolls at all for any of them. The hero has no choice in the matter.

(2) The heroes still have to find the zombies in the cornfield themselves, with the roll still needed to be made for each and every zombie -- whether the hero wants to fight or not.

IE: Rolls for every one of them. The hero has no choice in the matter.

I do *not* see a possible interpretation where you roll for some but not others. Myself, I go with #2. It seems to fit the "feel" of the rest of the game, and I like the symmetry.

Whats a or the RAW ?

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2012 03:03 PM by mqstout.)
"Rules As Written"
It's a small situation, an edge case and not a big deal. A fine house rule to make Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2012 08:17 PM by j0hnnn.)
Lets seetle this once and for all...

Extracted from the FAQ in the download section...

Cornfield
So last night the players were trying to hide the
townsfolk in the Cornfield. The question became
when exactly is a Zombie attacking? Or more
precisly when does a Zombie have to roll the 4+
to attack? Is it only during the Zombie Players
turn or do they have to roll at the end of the
Heroes turn as well (if a player ends his turn in a
space with zombies)?

Also is the cornfield a location that can be
targeted with ‘My God, They’ve Taken the...’

The way the Cornfield works will be clarified in the
updated FAQ/Errata. Basically, ANYTIME a Zombie is
going to Fight a Hero in a Cornfield space, the Hero
may choose if they want to hide or not. If they hide,
the Zombie must roll a 4+ to find them and fight. In
this way, the Zombie must ALWAYS roll to find them
on a 4+ (Hero Turn or Zombie Turn) unless the Hero
wants to Fight.

The Cornfield does not have a 'Random Building
Number Set' (the little 1, 2, 3 etc in the bottom
corner) and so may not be Taken Over / Lights Out
etc.

Writen by Jason C. Hill
at - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1801276

Glad to help guys =D

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
:clap:
Watchmen02
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you for settling this one, J0hnnn.

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse please do the following:
1. Grab a buddy
2. Grab guns
3. Start shooting
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Took a moonlit swim through the Frog's Wicked sump some nights ago and after eating the brains of a floating corpse (Q24) I learned that the Cornfield actually stretches 2x4 square spaces into the horizon.

Never thought the space just outside the Barn door was part of the Cornfield though and I can tell from this post I'm not the only one.
And just when I was about to plan on making my own 3D Cornfield.

It's days like this that make ye glad to be dead Insane20

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 02:59 PM by sgiove.)
I'm also working on my own 3D board and I find it weird that a cornfield goes right up to a barn where there is a large door. However, I did know about the cornfield being 2x4, including that door space. When I model the cornfield, I'll only model the cornstalks halfway into the spaces next to the barn. Heroes can still "hide" in those spaces if they like, but there will still be room to travel through the door. I also plan to put a window on the barn wall in the other space to the left of the door (in addition to other walls of course.)

I should probably point out, though, that my custom 3D board will be bigger than the standard LNOE board to make the modeling easier and more realistic. My square spaces will be 3 inches each (about double the size of a standard space), and the center sqaures will be 6 inches each. This will make the total board 3 feet sqaure. Definitely a bit large to put on the table, but it shouldn't really be a problem to play with. Plus it gives more space to move around, to detail the buildings in a miniature setting, and to allow a better view of the figures that are located inside the buildings.

So in regards to the cornfield for my 3D board, the cornstalks will still come out about 1 1/2 inches into those spaces and leave another 1 1/2 inches in open space between the cornfield and the barn.
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Personally, I would interpret this rule as so:

If a zombie comes to the same space as a hero in the corn maze during their turn, due to the tall corn, they are too stupid (they are zombies after all) to be able to figure out exactly where the hero is, so they must roll a die to determine if they can find them.

HOWEVER, on the hero's turn, they can choose to either move away from a zombie, or into the same space as a zombie. So, in my view, if they move into the same space, this means a fight does take place. Thematically, I figure a human would be smart enough to figure out where the zombie is if they knew one was around there, whereas a zombie would not. So, if you made a decision to cross paths with the zombie, you are making a decision to fight it.

After all, if you didn't want to fight the zombie, then why cross it at all? Why not just go another way? Also, thinking about it thematically, even in the cornfield, if you crossed right past a zombie, I think it would kind of see that.
06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
(06-14-2012 02:57 PM)sgiove Wrote:  I should probably point out, though, that my custom3D board will be bigger than the standard LNOE board to make the modeling easier and more realistic. My square spaces will be 3 inches each (about double the size of a standard space), and the center sqaures will be 6 inches each. This will make the total board 3 feet sqaure. Definitely a bit large to put on the table, but it shouldn't really be a problem to play with. Plus it gives more space to move around, to detail the buildings in a miniature setting, and to allow a better view of the figures that are located inside the buildings.

It's a wise decision to enhance the board size. It makes even more sense as soon as you start making buildings since indoor spaces tend to get a little cramped. Also the scale easily looks a bit off. I've been toying around with the same idea for some time and slowly progressing. I started making buildings for the actual game board size and although I considered some enhancement I decided to stick with the original size for simplicity and storage.
Hope you'll post once you're ready for some show off.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"