Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Downloaded HERO template & GIMP - First HERO
01-29-2011, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2011 12:32 AM by D153453D.)
RE: Downloaded HERO template & GIMP
(01-28-2011 06:36 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Nice, thanks. I am going to keep plodding forward at night in the mean time. Tonight I guess I will try to delete all of the text and make my own. So you delete that entire layer that the text is on, then just make a new layer on top and write new text there, right?

I watched the video tutorial. It wasn't that helpful. It told me everything I had learned myself by fooling with GIMP for 5 minutes, but answered none of my questions that came up.

Spoiler Alert: That annoying girl lives through the entire video!

Yeah, I told you is was pretty simple. Uneditable text? That can't be right. I did a quick google search and found this:

On the Layers window, right button on the text layer, choose "Text Tool" and it opens the initial dialog box to type text, where you can change it.

There must be an easier way though.

It was from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915628

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2011, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2011 02:10 AM by vikinglad.)
Thanks D. From that same thread, here was the final answer to his problem:

Quote:I was in the habit of saving project files as .psd and finished ones as .jpg for printing (CDs etc) - I just expected to be able to re-edit my .psd files.

I opened my blank-dvd.psd file and this time saved as blank-dvd.xcf then added some layers, saved and exited.

When I re-opened the blank-dvd.xcf file, I was able to re-edit the text layers as described in posts - DOH ! DOH ! DOH !

The files we download here are .psd. Could this be my problem? Maybe I will try re-saving as .xcf tonight.
01-29-2011, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2011 06:04 AM by Nebulon.)
(01-28-2011 06:36 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Nice, thanks. I am going to keep plodding forward at night in the mean time. Tonight I guess I will try to delete all of the text and make my own. So you delete that entire layer that the text is on, then just make a new layer on top and write new text there, right?

I watched the video tutorial. It wasn't that helpful. It told me everything I had learned myself by fooling with GIMP for 5 minutes, but answered none of my questions that came up.

Spoiler Alert: That annoying girl lives through the entire video!

No dont do that, keep the existing text layer as a "go-by" untill the new text is on a different layer and in the right place and at the right size on the card. I use the original text for alignment of the New text.

I'll keep posting back here, GIMP is not hard just needs the time investment to figure out.

Quote: On the Layers window, right button on the text layer, choose "Text Tool" and it opens the initial dialog box to type text, where you can change it.

There must be an easier way though.

It was from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915628

I tried that could not get it to work for the life of me. I believe they go on to say once the text is complete and the image saved it becomes un-editable. I am very use to click and edit. But I can manage this slower process ok.
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I designed the cards to be edited with Photoshop. Sorry for all the GIMP troubles you're having.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2011, 09:46 PM
(01-29-2011 05:04 PM)Sarku Wrote:  I designed the cards to be edited with Photoshop. Sorry for all the GIMP troubles you're having.

Not your fault man. It is just that most of us can't afford Photoshop... If Adobe wasn't so expensive we'd all get it, but $400-$600 for a graphics program just to edit a game that half of us only get to play every now and then... well... is a bit too high. That and I only make $674 a month... So not getting Photoshop anytime soon... if ever.

But don't worry about it, we will figure it out with GIMP after a time. I can do it easily in Paint Shop Pro 9, so it shouldn't take much for me to figure out GIMP and post up some tutorials so others can as well. I just need to find the time. Besides that, we are just glad to have the templates in any form, bonus that there is a layered version. We'll get it done, just going to take a little bit of time to work it out. And, I am fairly sure I speak for everyone on this, it's worth the effort to do it and we all thank you for your effort in making them. Watchmen02

And speaking of which, which version of Photoshop did you use? CS, CS2, latest version?
01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
It's also the most pirated thing in the world.
01-30-2011, 03:27 AM
(01-30-2011 12:31 AM)Orguss Wrote:  It's also the most pirated thing in the world.

True, but with all the viruses out there and a million hackers stuffing viruses into everything and using other respectable crackers names in the virus laden release.... it isn't safe to download anything except Music and videos... and even then you have to be careful with all the fakes out there and a few that do contain viruses... Aside from that, they companies are watching and hunting down illegal copies it's a decent shot of getting caught then a 50/50 shot at either "Stop now or else" or "Here's a court summons"... Just not safe anymore. Which legally speaking is a good thing, but for us poor schmucks who are broke and can't afford crap... it kinda sucks.
01-30-2011, 04:06 AM
I am using Open Office to edit the templates and I haven't had a problem, and Open Office is Free Ware. Watchmen02

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
01-30-2011, 06:14 AM
First Try:
Couldn't load the Font, but wanted to work with the program so here's my first one...

[Image: DrLoomis.jpg]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ddgdemon/Games/Brains_Moon2.jpg[/img]
01-30-2011, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2011 08:16 AM by vikinglad.)
(01-30-2011 06:14 AM)Nebulon Wrote:  First Try:
Couldn't load the Font, but wanted to work with the program so here's my first one...

WOOT! Love the classic Halloween. Great character choice, and looks great for a first try.