Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How Many Cards?
01-28-2013, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 09:00 AM by Sarge.)
How Many Cards?
Hello fellow brain eaters and food sources..... just wondered if anyone could make any suggestions regarding the number of cards in your hero and zombie decks?

I own LNOE, Growing Hunger and Hero Pack 1 and have all the cards together making large draw decks for both sides, although it does seem to work fairly well and is balanced when playing games where finding items is important (escape in the truck etc.)
How ever now also owing Timber Peak I was planning to mix all these cars also with my existing decks.....can any one see any reason why not?
Look forward to your comments Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 09:45 AM by friskers96.)
RE: How Many Cards?
I read that a 60 card deck was suitable to give the zombies a chance to deck you while still giving you ample supply of cards.
Also, with typical game lengths and the odds of drawing a particular a thinner deck would be more beneficial for the heros as well...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Hey Sarge. I've heard some voice their feelings about not mixing TP with the 'original' set but I don't own TP so I'll just mention that you may need to consider which cards to remove since the Hero Cards/Zombie Cards are somewhat balanced. My issue with the increasing deck size is only related to my inability to to make a quicker shuffle. Watchmen02

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
(01-28-2013 09:00 AM)Sarge Wrote:  Hello fellow brain eaters and food sources..... just wondered if anyone could make any suggestions regarding the number of cards in your hero and zombie decks?

I own LNOE, Growing Hunger and Hero Pack 1 and have all the cards together making large draw decks for both sides, although it does seem to work fairly well and is balanced when playing games where finding items is important (escape in the truck etc.)
How ever now also owing Timber Peak I was planning to mix all these cars also with my existing decks.....can any one see any reason why not?

Jason C. Hill has said Timber Peak can be fully integrated with the base game. OR Timber Peak can be played as a stand alone game. From what I've heard on the rotten grapevine Timber Peak is best when kept seperate (Think of it as a film sequel)

I own everything for LNoE and in my next game report I'll be covering Timber Peak (as a stand alone game)

hope this helps
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
i play with all the cards mixed in (i have LNOE+TP+GH+SotF+HP1) and i don't have any problems at all. Of course there will always be the occasional game where the cards you need along with the "Just What I Needed" Cards are near the bottom of the deck, but in my opinion who cares, play to have fun and if sometimes the deck screws you over well look at it this way, what if it was real life? you may need gasoline to escape in a truck but there just may not be gasoline, sometimes the survivors are just not meant to win, it is after all a zombie apocalypse.
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
(01-28-2013 11:54 AM)SmokinBaraka Wrote:  i play with all the cards mixed in (i have LNOE+TP+GH+SotF+HP1) and i don't have any problems at all. Of course there will always be the occasional game where the cards you need along with the "Just What I Needed" Cards are near the bottom of the deck, but in my opinion who cares, play to have fun and if sometimes the deck screws you over well look at it this way, what if it was real life? you may need gasoline to escape in a truck but there just may not be gasoline, sometimes the survivors are just not meant to win, it is after all a zombie apocalypse.

Well said SmokinBaraka that's a point that can be easily forgottenZombie13
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 02:24 PM by alderdust.)
(01-28-2013 09:11 AM)Sarge Wrote:  Hello fellow brain eaters and food sources..... just wondered if anyone could make any suggestions regarding the number od cards in your hero and zombie decks?

I mix all my cards together including timber peak and have no problems it seems that flyingfrog has done a decent job adding some of those valued scenario search items to almost all decks so there is normally a good chance to get say keys or gas in just about every game it just takes a little more searching sometimes.

By the way I found this list when I was looking at sleeving my cards to see how many to purchase.

This is all sets even through TP. It even tells you how many tokens.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82675/...-hp1-gw-tp
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the link, very helpful.
That does it for me, I'm going to add the TP cards to the mix....better buy some more sleeves!
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
(01-28-2013 02:28 PM)Sarge Wrote:  Thanks for the link, very helpful.
That does it for me, I'm going to add the TP cards to the mix....better buy some more sleeves!

My stack got so tall it would no longer stand on its own I bought some blackjack discard trays to help keep them upright when sleeved i can try to post a picture next time i break the game out.
01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
(01-28-2013 03:59 PM)alderdust Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 02:28 PM)Sarge Wrote:  Thanks for the link, very helpful.

My stack got so tall it would no longer stand on its own I bought some blackjack discard trays to help keep them upright when sleeved i can try to post a picture next time i break the game out.

Thanks alder dust....I was thinking about storage boxes, like the ones I use to store my magic the gathering cards in.