Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you coordinate games?
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
RE: How do you coordinate games?
my friend owns a comic book shop, when he has events I often demo games he sells. This is always on my top to teach people how to play.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I, sadly, can rarely play the game at all. My friends and I get together rather often (maybe weekly, some weeks more dense than others) but his game didn't strike them in the right spot. The learning curve for the Heroes didn't sit well with them, and they don't like losing.

The problem is that they think the Zombie deck is too powerful, even though there is nothing that cannot be canceled or nullified by a Hero card. Zombies just get their cards faster and easier, and Heroes must coordinate to gain their benefits (which are largely superior to Zombie cards).

They let me break it out maybe annually. All in all, that's just not enough!
12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
If you get Growing Hunger (which has its "dot" system; or read the variants area on here enough), you'll have plenty of ways to tweak handicaps in the favor of the heroes if your group needs them. One of the simplest is letting the heroes start the game with an extra card or two, andor adding the "free search markers" to all your scenarios.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
(12-09-2008 01:09 AM)kosmium Wrote:  We play LNOE once in a while, and often initiated by me (can't get my fix).

From what I see in the posts on the site, I sense most people play with friends at their place. Do many of you play at game shops? Does anyone know of places that have LNOE nights or tournaments? One of the reasons I think we are slowing down is that we seem scattered over the world and not enough concentration to make a LNOE game spot. I'd love to be able to say "I'm heading out tonight, I've got a LNOE club to go to".

How about you out there? Do you have routine LNOE nights? Who do you get to play? Anyone know how to play over the phone or Skype? BTW, I would love a computer version of LNOE to play on-line.

Does the same hold for ATOE?

I play every Monday with some of the guys I play DnD encounters with on Wednesdays. It helps to live in the 3rd largest City(I think it's 2nd if you go by urban density) in the US. Go to your local game store and schedule a weekly meet up, they'll love the increased traffic into the store.
12-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I rarely get to play... Quite unfortunately. But I am trying to start a "Board Game Night/Club" at my local shop. Even considering buying FFPs Buttons and some posters for prizes to winners, maybe even a whole game once a year for a big prize, like around x-mas or new years. BUT... though I know I can get it started, I doubt I can keep it going. Most folks around here are D&D RPGers, or CCG players. It is hard enough trying to get them to play a new RPG System outside of D&D 3.5-4e much less a board game as involved and complex as LNOE or ATOE... But by all the Gods I will try! LOL Likely starting in January, so I'll post a report of how each week goes... If it goes at all...
12-15-2010, 03:13 AM
here's a sugestion as to how to draw the dnd'rs in to a boardgame mentality.

if you have any that are playing 4.0, then pick up a copy of castl ravenloft.. it's essentially 4.0 as a board game with condensed rules and lower power sets with set scenerios that play for '1 game day'.

get them hooked on that.. then migrate over to lnoe. a good day like saturday is mor ethan enough to get in a ravenloft and lnoe game plus time..

soundguy
12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I was planning on getting Castle Ravenloft, but I know zip about 4e D&D, I play 3.5e. Though I am sure CR will explain every thing I need to play it, I am also as sure that the 4e players will complain about 4e rules not being represented... I live in an area of extreme "Rules Lawyers". But it's worth a shot, can't hurt to try.

The only issue is I am a night person. I wake up at 4pm and go to bed around 6-7am. And the shop closes at 9pm everyday but Fridays (10-11pm), Sundays (7pm), and Mondays (7pm). So limited time there... Plus from 5-9pm Saturdays I run my 3.5e Against the Dead zombie campaign. And Fridays from 6-10 or 11pm I play a 3.5e D&D Eberron game. Sundays and Mondays are out due to not enough time. Leaving Tuesday (Limited due to a Magic the Gathering CCG Draft Tournament), Wednesday and Thursdays (Really slow nights, but not impossible to get folks in). So I am planning on Wednesday Nights, getting up a bit early for me, and playing from around 4-9pm... Likely not really starting till 6:30pm due to folks getting off of work.

In other words: I either cancel my Saturday game to run and compete with the major noise and limited space... or try for middle of the week games. I'd quit the Friday game, but even if I did there is no more room left in the shop to play anything else.

In other, other words: I'm kinda screwed. LOL
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
castle ravenloft is designed to be played completely by itself with no other 4e materials. it has the feel of 4th ed characters though. for instance. in 4th ed.. characters have a couple at will use powers, some utility and some daily powers. as it sounds, in an adventure, at wills can be used on the hero turn. utility can be used, but then are used up for that combat.. daily can be used but then are used up for the day , or untill a milestone is passed ( a couple more encounters occur ). sinc ethe ravenloft adventure is set in a single day/night time period, you pick your character, and there are like 3 selections for at will, utility and daily.. you usually get to pick 2 at will, 1 utility and 1 daily to make your character. some classes or races also get a extra daily power.. so that means each hero int he box has 5 powers to use.. there are cards that refresh a daily power as you go thru the game.. and ones that deplete them.. or you can use them in combat. it has a simple d20 system, and simple tile to tile movement.. line of site is per tile.. ie.. if you are ont he same tile you have line of site even if it is around a corner. 4th e players will find it like a board game simplified dnd combat sim. it also yuses a subset of the 4e classes and races.
12-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Like I said it's worth a shot. Problem is getting folks in to play when I am able. That's the tricky part to begin with.
12-16-2010, 12:10 AM
I initiated a once a month gamenight with some friends of mine who I know enjoy this game. With the expansions on LNEO and now with IFOS in my reach I have two games this group can play. Wich means, more people can come.
But due to the seasonthing right now it hasn't come up yet.

However for my next birthdayparty I plan on setting up the board and let people play the game.
One condition though...they have to be dressed up as zombies in order to play.
Give the wives something to talk about and with the good amount of boose I'm pretty sure things will get out of hand (again).

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user