Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you coordinate games?
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
RE: How do you coordinate games?
Good question! I'm in California and I noticed a whole bunch of people are another country. We are indeed a small crowd. But I play at my college and when others see us play, they like to hop into a game too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm in Tennessee and I have a group that will either role play or LNOE on fridays, its really depends on everyone's mood, lol. I sometimes get to play at other times, but if I'm not busy I am almost always looking for a game, lol.

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I host an every Wednesday night game night at my house. If there are only two of us we cancel but most nights are between 3 and 5 with one crazy night going to 10 once. We play all sorts of stuff from LNOE to wings of war, smallworld, arkham horror etc. If anyone is in SE Michigan and looking for a gaming group drop me a message and we'll talk. We can always use more people.
02-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Been having a hard time getting people together...spend more time reading through the rules and thinking about playing thn actually playing the game. Played with a few friends but haven't been able to coordinate a regular thing. Might have to see if I can meet a group through the local game shop, but besides LNOE I'm not much of a gamer.
02-08-2011, 02:42 PM
what takes us forever is that we keep adding new players in and out.. so every time we play there is at least 1 new player trying to learn the rules.
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I hate to drag up really old threads, but when I see one that seems really cool, it seems worth bringing back. Especially since I wasn't around when the thread first came up, and we are always getting new members.

As I've mentioned many times, the first time I played was when some friends introduced the wife and I to the game. I fell in love that very moment, put the game on my birthday list, and when my birthday rolled around a few months later, my wife got it for me.

This wasn't like other board games. After playing ONLY ONCE, I had already become absolutely obsessed. I wanted to play, and I wanted to play A LOT. After a few plays, I got the sense that my wife didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did. She likes the game, but I got the sense that she would be content to play every once in a while.

I could just ask that we at least play once a month, or something like that. She is my wife. But, honestly, I prefer to play with somebody who is going to enjoy it as well. I don't want to feel like I am forcing somebody to play just for my enjoyment. At the same time, I did NOT want to see this be something I got to play a couple times, and then it goes forgotten on our shelf forever. I wanted to play this again and again, and have it always eventually come back up in rotation, even if we put it away for a while.

So, I started looking into the idea of setting up a game night. I asked folks for advice here, and also posted on BoardGameGeek. I also contacted my local comic shop, as I know they did stuff like this, but wasn't sure they'd be into doing a board game night.

As it happened, they were more than happy to let me set it up. Ever since, they have run it every single Wednesday. I try to come as often as I can. I've been to most of them so far. I don't plan to go every single week. I'd honestly be happy to go once a month, but hopefully I can do even more.

So far it has gone really well. I hope it continues to, as I LOVE this game, and love getting to play. I also love that the guys bring other games that we try from time to time. I still also play with friends when I can, especially the friends who introduced us to it in the first place.

So, to sum up... if you are interested, it is definitely worth your while to try to get a game night set up at your local comic shop/hobby shop/game shop/whatever. You never known what may come of it. Besides, you don't lose anything for trying.
08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
we used to do the game night at the shop. the small group of us worked out. we supported the shop.. would buy supplies there.. snacks. etc.. but then other people started coming in.. bringing games from outside.. and didn't buy anything there.. really hurt the store.. was sad.. as it had been going good..
08-16-2012, 07:21 PM
That stinks, soundguy. Sorry to hear that. So did you guys stop doing it? Did you all live close enough/know each other well enough to do game nights at your individual houses from time to time?

We've been pretty lucky in that we've all been buying something from the shop. Several guys have bought new games, several guys have bought expansions for Last Night On Earth, and we've pretty much all been buying comics here and there. So, that is good.

However, I actually don't think it would really matter too much to the comic shop if we didn't. Luckily, they have a little area in the back with a bunch of tables set up for us. It isn't part of the store where customers go, so we aren't in the way of anything.

So, even if none of our members were buying anything, or a bunch of new people started showing up but didn't buy anything, I think we'd be fine. Though, obviously I'd much rather we did bring business to the shop for them.