Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I really really want to like AToE
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
RE: I really really want to like AToE
Following Up:

WisdomKnight, I can now understand why you may think it is fairly easy. The session I played this weekend was starting off to be a unconstested victory for the heroes. It was Sarah the bright witch, Liliana and the Scarlet Shadow versus the Necromancer.

My typical games are lots of hero KOs and not much investigation going around, however this session was much, much different. We were laying waste to all the walking dead as soon as they popped up. Plus any other minions running about the board. Halfway through the game my son, the Scarlet Shadow, had 25 investigation, my wife, Lilianna has about 18 investigation, and I would have had more but I kept paying to prevent wounds. So I can now see where your were coming from. I totally boosted my spirit and got the amulet from the town, the shadow had a rifle with silvershot and a padded jacket. Liliana had a jacket as well as she picked up some items that boosted spirit, I forgot which ones. So we were pretty darn powerful.

Problem, the shadow track. By the time we were al totally equipped and headed for the showdown, the shadow track was at 2. Of course we did have three mystery cards in play, The Horror (roll 2 times on the mystery chart), The Hour is Late (move shadow track +1 each mystery phase), and another card (can't remember name) which said every time the shadow track moves add an additional step so in essence 2 steps each mystery phase. Also we realized that only Sarah had cunning + spirit of 8 or more. So even if we did go into a showdown, we probably would have been clobbered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I played two solo games this weekend. First game I followed semi-advanced rules with Karl vs the Werewolf (semi-advanced because I used all the secrets but still used the Basic minion chart, villain abilities, and investigation collection rules). I won easily.

Second game was Anne Marie vs the Vampire, this time following the complete Advanced rules. Equipped with only a Sabre (the Manor item that gives +1 Combat and +1 Honor), I had the unfortunate dilemma of a Succubus popping up at the Blacksmith. Unable to deal with the threat, especially after I drew that Remains In Play Mystery Card that gave +1 Combat to all the Minions, I got stuck going around the board, and with Fog in play I was screwed. Minions kept popping up all around and I just conceded since it was way past my bedtime. Mind you, there were Investigation tokens all around, but they barely helped as I could not buy any weapons and I couldn't find any helpful equipment to save my teaching $%@%.

So I really don't understand how you find the game so easy, other than maybe you keep choosing the stronger Heroes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 11:26 PM by MoonSylver.)
Both of the last two posts sound pretty reflective of a usual range of sessions for me. Which is why I, too, was/am a bit confused over how easy Wisdom was/is finding it. Haven't heard any reports lately, so I hope his sessions are going better. And by better, I mean HARDER. Freak02
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-12-2012, 11:33 PM
(11-12-2012 11:26 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Both of the last two posts sound pretty reflective of a usual range of sessions for me. Which is why I, too, was/am a bit confused over how easy Wisdom was/is finding it. Haven't heard any reports lately, so I hope his sessions are going better. And by better, I mean HARDER. Freak02
---MSWatchmen01

No, we havent had the time to play yet Watchmen02
Ill keep you all posted.
I just gave the family the web exclusives (Madness and Allies), not sure if that will make a difference at all though.
11-13-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 12:24 AM by LabRat.)
(11-12-2012 10:49 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  Problem, the shadow track. By the time we were al totally equipped and headed for the showdown, the shadow track was at 2. Of course we did have three mystery cards in play, The Horror (roll 2 times on the mystery chart), The Hour is Late (move shadow track +1 each mystery phase), and another card (can't remember name) which said every time the shadow track moves add an additional step so in essence 2 steps each mystery phase. Also we realized that only Sarah had cunning + spirit of 8 or more. So even if we did go into a showdown, we probably would have been clobbered.

The Book of Lore in the Town Items deck that allows you to move the Shadow Track, you could've used up your excess investigation to buy-discard-repeat to move it backwards.
11-13-2012, 01:48 AM
(11-13-2012 12:16 AM)LabRat Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 10:49 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  Problem, the shadow track. By the time we were al totally equipped and headed for the showdown, the shadow track was at 2. Of course we did have three mystery cards in play, The Horror (roll 2 times on the mystery chart), The Hour is Late (move shadow track +1 each mystery phase), and another card (can't remember name) which said every time the shadow track moves add an additional step so in essence 2 steps each mystery phase. Also we realized that only Sarah had cunning + spirit of 8 or more. So even if we did go into a showdown, we probably would have been clobbered.

The Book of Lore in the Town Items deck that allows you to move the Shadow Track, you could've used up your excess investigation to buy-discard-repeat to move it backwards.

The Book of Lore has saved me arse on many occasions. Watchmen02 I'm a big fan of the Sacred Chalice from over at The Monastery too. Zombie03
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
I played ATOE again with my nephew. Honestly, I enjoy ATOE when I'm playing competitively with my nephew - there's a certain sadistic pleasure in foiling his plans or seeing him fail. Nyahahaha. It's not a direct competition in that we're strategizing against each other, so the feel is still different from other competitive games that we've tried.
11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
(11-13-2012 01:48 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  
(11-13-2012 12:16 AM)LabRat Wrote:  

The Book of Lore has saved me arse on many occasions. Watchmen02 I'm a big fan of the Sacred Chalice from over at The Monastery too. Zombie03
---MSWatchmen01

I guess I am not playing by the rules, being that when I discard an item to gain it's ability, I typically remove it from game. Thinking if I were to destroy a book in real life in order to get it's secret power, I wouldn't have access to that book again.
11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
(11-14-2012 02:19 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I guess I am not playing by the rules, being that when I discard an item to gain it's ability, I typically remove it from game. Thinking if I were to destroy a book in real life in order to get it's secret power, I wouldn't have access to that book again.

I don't blame you for not knowing it, handling the Town Items deck isn't really defined clearly in the ATOE rulebook. Most decks (location decks, Event and Mystery decks) have their discard piles and I assumed that the Town Items deck followed the same rule. When I re-read the rulebook, all that's stated about it is:

"If another Hero buys it first, no one else can purchase it until it is discarded back to the Town Items stack." (ATOE rulebook, page 8)

So I had to look up clarifications here and on BGG to make sure. That's why I make it a point to buy a Horse even if I don't need it - it only costs 2 Investigation and can easily be discarded for any effects that require you to discard items.
11-15-2012, 04:28 PM
(11-14-2012 04:32 PM)LabRat Wrote:  That's why I make it a point to buy a Horse even if I don't need it - it only costs 2 Investigation and can easily be discarded for any effects that require you to discard items.

Never thought of that. Cheap cannon fodder. although it takes up 1 of your 3 items spaces, not bad at the beginning of the game.