Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Liliana the "Lost Soul" = GHOST?!?!?
04-22-2013, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 11:20 PM by MoonSylver.)
Liliana the "Lost Soul" = GHOST?!?!?
I don't know if any of you had realized this all on your lonesome, or if you saw the discussion over at BGG, but in a thread devoted to what we'd like to see next from ATOE user Robert Leonard came up with the following:

Quote:Might also consider having an investigator that is a ghost from the past that is helping the others.

To which Jason replied:

Quote:Interesting that you think this isn't already the case...but, perhaps I've said too much. Zombie03

-Jason

Now, not much to go on, and I suppose there could be other suspects, but she would obviously be the most logical choice. And while the thought had semi-subliminially crossed my mind, I hadn't really ever put 2+2 together & "realized" this.

Mind=blown.Zombie15
---MS

PS - Given the somewhat ambiguous way he character is written up (intentional I'm sure), it's not an immediate/obvious conclusion to jump to. But given the hint by Jason, it does make me see the character in a whole different way. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2013, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 06:39 AM by themanfromsaturn.)
RE: Liliana the "Lost Soul" = GHOST?!?!?
(04-22-2013 10:54 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  I don't know if any of you had realized this all on your lonesome, or if you saw the discussion over at BGG, but in a thread devoted to what we'd like to see next from ATOE user Robert Leonard came up with the following:

Quote:Might also consider having an investigator that is a ghost from the past that is helping the others.

To which Jason replied:

Quote:Interesting that you think this isn't already the case...but, perhaps I've said too much. Zombie03

-Jason

Now, not much to go on, and I suppose there could be other suspects, but she would obviously be the most logical choice. And while the thought had semi-subliminially crossed my mind, I hadn't really ever put 2+2 together & "realized" this.

Mind=blown.Zombie15
---MS

PS - Given the somewhat ambiguous way he character is written up (intentional I'm sure), it's not an immediate/obvious conclusion to jump to. But given the hint by Jason, it does make me see the character in a whole different way. Watchmen02

That's awesome sauce.

Wait a minute... what if liliana is the only one who isn't a ghost? M Night Shamalayned!

Seriously though, she does have the 'lost' keyword, which as far as I know is only shared by the 'lonely spirit' ally found in the shipwreck. Her use of spirit in combat is compelling evidence as well.
04-23-2013, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 08:25 AM by MoonSylver.)
(04-23-2013 06:26 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  That's awesome sauce.

Wait a minute... what if liliana is the only one who isn't a ghost? M Night Shamalayned!

What a tweest! Insane20

(04-23-2013 06:26 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Seriously though, she does have the 'lost' keyword, which as far as I know is only shared by the 'lonely spirit' ally found in the shipwreck. Her use of spirit in combat is compelling evidence as well.

Mmm, good catch on the Lonely Spirit. I hadn't noticed that on either of them. As for Spirit in Combat, I thought as much as well.

Looking over the character earlier, as I said, she's written in a somewhat open ended style. But viewing her in this way made the character "click" in my mind & made her "make sense".

You would have to "read between the lines" but observe the following, if taken somewhat literally:

Quote:Liliana, Lost Soul

Though youthful, Liliana is an old soul
who was changed forever when her entire village was wiped out by a vicious creature. Swearing an oath of vengeance, she now travels the countryside, hunting that very villain that savaged everything she once held dear. Her singular focus on revenge has given her strength over the years to press on, many times closing in on the beast, only to have it slip through her grasp. At last she has tracked it once more to the small town of Shadowbrook. No more shall die by its hands.

Shadow Of The Past
- May roll an extra Fight Dice for each Hit she does in a Fight Round.

Spirited - Always uses Spirit in a fight.

Loss Of Faith - May not exchange Items or Allies with other Heroes. Training Spirit at the Church requires an Honor 6+ test for her.

Lost soul, old soul, shadow of the past, spirited, cannot exchange Items & Allies with other heroes, penalty for training Spirit @ the Church...all takes on a different meaning given the context.

ATOE: The gift that keeps on giving. Watchmen02
---MS

*EDIT*

Popped back over to the the Wiki & noticed that they had the "Lost" keyword tagged. Check out which cards share it:

Quote:F

Card:Father Of Judgement

L

Liliana
Card:Lonely Spirit

M

Card:Matriarch Of Silence

T

Card:The Ferryman
Card:The Heretic
Card:The Hooded Man
Card:The Innocent
Card:The Outcast

W

Card:Walking Dreams

I think I see a trend there...Zombie03

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 10:25 AM by themanfromsaturn.)
Yeah, that list of 'lost' cards pretty much eliminates any reasonable doubt. In hindsight it's actually pretty obvious. Jason gave every clue shy of giving her the keywords; 'Hero' 'Female' 'Ghost'.
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
(04-23-2013 10:17 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Yeah, that list of 'lost' cards pretty much eliminates any reasonable doubt. In hindsight it's actually pretty obvious. Jason gave every clue shy of giving her the keywords; 'Hero' 'Female' 'Ghost'.

Well, like I say, the way the character is written, it came across (to me ) fairly innocuous (though things like "Must always Fight with Spirit" didn't make sense exactly), but yeah, the Keyword was right there "hiding in plain sight".

Makes me wonder what other hidden secrets are in there waiting to be discovered? Watchmen02

I've heard if you play the Shadow Track backwards that you can hear a message from Sebastian Skinner...Freak03Freak02Insane20
---MSWatchmen01

04-23-2013, 01:30 PM
You know, when playing I never gave this a grain of thought. I always took it as a lost soul metaphorically, not metaphysically. That is really freaking awesome that you figured it out.

I absolutely love finding out about the hidden meaning in stuff. It takes whatever the subject is to new depths.

@Moonsylver - don't know why but I immediately read "Seymour Skinner" and started laughing out loud.
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
(04-23-2013 01:30 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  You know, when playing I never gave this a grain of thought. I always took it as a lost soul metaphorically, not metaphysically.

*Nods* Same here. I took it that the "Fights with Spirit" was just something that she'd learned, or a result of the attack that wiped out her village. But it never quite felt right. The character didn't have a "hook" that I could readily grasp, except as you say above, which TBH wasn't inspiring or didn't really jive with the rest of the character as presented.

Now it all makes SO much more sense! Watchmen02

(04-23-2013 01:30 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  That is really freaking awesome that you figured it out.

I absolutely love finding out about the hidden meaning in stuff. It takes whatever the subject is to new depths.

Agreed. Watchmen02

(04-23-2013 01:30 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  @Moonsylver - don't know why but I immediately read "Seymour Skinner" and started laughing out loud.

[Image: Seymour_Skinner.png]

[Image: pic481732_md.jpg]

Separated at birth?

Insane20
---MSWatchmen01

04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
awesome sauce. I swear the next time she becomes in play that I will quietly inform the playrr on turn three of that interpertation....

04-23-2013, 09:54 PM
(04-23-2013 08:35 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  awesome sauce. I swear the next time she becomes in play that I will quietly inform the playrr on turn three of that interpertation....

Heck yes. Watchmen02

I've already been re-casting how the character works in my head. IE - When KO'ed, instead of literally "KO'ed" her physical form is disrupted & she disolves into a mist, only to reappear at the Town Hall, instead of "fighting" with Spirit I can see her hurling items poltergeist like, directing tree limbs to grapple opponents, etc.

And of course the ubiquitous mysterious dissappearance once the Villain is defeated... Zombie03

Big thank you to Jason for the hint that unlocked this. It's like getting a whole new character! It took her from a character that I wasn't that enthused about to one I can't wait to use again. Insane20
---MSWatchmen01

04-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Has anyone else looked at the photographs that Liliana appears in? It's interesting to note that when she appears with another character, that character often seems unaware of her presence (back turned, looking another direction, etc.)

Now I'm turning my thoughts to other characters who may be more than they seem- heroes with the 'strange' keyword come to mind.

I've already put forth my personal theories about Heinrich Cartwright. Adrianna the foreign traveler is interesting, and there may be something there as well.