Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mansion of Madness
11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
RE: Mansion of Madness
I'm more excited about Mansions of Madness than I have been about the last couple of AH expansions actually.
I love AH but it just doesn't get much table time around here due to the complexity and playing time...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 05:24 AM
I kind of thought that it looks like a 'Descent' or 'Doom' for Lovecraft. That's not a really bad thing but those games seemed to be a lighter version of Dungeons and Dragons where the Dungeon Master has to follow a bunch of rules as well and is trying to kill the players, not adventure them...

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
11-11-2010, 10:45 PM
The previews are actually looking very encouraging. If it's a Descent or Doom style game, that's cool as I don't own either.

I do like the fact that it is more CoC RPG like than AH. The closest thing I have in my collection that I can compare it to is Warhammer Quest. I really enjoy the Mythos theme and a 'haunted house crawler' as opposed to a dungeon-crawler will fit my collection nicely.

I'm an old RPG player (D&D 1st edition) so actually having a distinct adventure theme for each game sounds like fun. Any game that has lots of bling always gets my families attention much more easily than my dusty CoC books.
11-14-2010, 04:47 AM
I guess my hesitation in this regard is that I prefer the team aspect like in LNOE than the one player vs everyone else. I really like to have the 'bad guys' done by multiple players so it doesn't seem like you're being persecuted by everyone else. I guess it's just psychology. Whenever I kill a room full of my friends, I like to have someone pat me on my back and tell me I did good...

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
11-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Now that really got me laughing! There is nothing like knowing someone's got your back hey?

I can understand your feelings though. This game looks more like an RPG than many I have seen lately, and if that just isn't your bag, then so be it. Personally I can see plenty of opportunities for this as I mentioned in my last post, but flying solo as the 'Keeper' never worried me when I played the CoC RPG.
12-27-2010, 12:18 AM
(11-14-2010 04:47 AM)Patient Zero Wrote:  I guess my hesitation in this regard is that I prefer the team aspect like in LNOE than the one player vs everyone else. I really like to have the 'bad guys' done by multiple players so it doesn't seem like you're being persecuted by everyone else. I guess it's just psychology. Whenever I kill a room full of my friends, I like to have someone pat me on my back and tell me I did good...

Make sure there's not a knife in their hand when they make a move for your back! :-)
01-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I must say that I'm curious about this game - looks very interesting. Does anybody know anything about the mechanics? BGG says dice-rolling but the box has only one 10 sided die so that doesn't suggest much dice usage.
01-15-2011, 02:58 PM
FFG announced a combat preview earlier, but it has not turned up yet.
The CoC RPG uses a percentile based skill check system, so I had wondered if they are using a permutation of that.
One way or other we'll find out, hopefully sooner rather than later.
02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I almost never pre-order games but this one has forced me to reconsider that rule.

FFG has put up a preview of the combat here http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_n...?eidn=1929

Essentially its a card driven combat where you role a d10 and based on your characters stats your either fail at that combat action or succeed. Each card has very thematic events tied to each result. Sounds great to me especially in an RPG sense.
02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I have kept an eye on this game for a while now, and it seems to be really interesting. Just hope it's fun to play too. Time will tell.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.