Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mansion of Madness
02-18-2011, 02:11 AM
RE: Mansion of Madness
You're obviously watching the action as carefully as I am OD. Im 'Scrat' on BGG... Watchmen02

I hope all of this is pointing to an earlier release date than was intended...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
(02-18-2011 02:11 AM)Talos Wrote:  You're obviously watching the action as carefully as I am OD. Im 'Scrat' on BGG... Watchmen02

I hope all of this is pointing to an earlier release date than was intended...

Added you to my GeekBuddy ListWatchmen02

An early release would be Great,but on the otherhand I'm working
on getting in two Games (DungeonQuest & AToE varient set
in Kingsport)played for Session Reports & MoM coming to my
door would seriously delay those projects.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-18-2011, 07:49 PM
So Here's a Great Video Review (well Part I at least).....It's Lunch break & I got to get back to the Mine
so I only caught half of it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/5486/...nents-brea

OD

02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I made it out to a demo for this game today at Games Kastle in Santa Clara, CA, but I wasn't early enough to get to play it. I did get to watch up close for a while, though, and it looked really fun. Everyone playing seemed to really like it. Here are some of my thoughts:

The figures and board are beautiful. The character cards (and all of the other cards) looked a little small compared to LNOE, but it didn't seem to bother anyone much.

The board is painted with lots of detail, and made up of lots of different tiles that are built up differently based on the scenario. At first, it was a little confusing for folks to get the "space" VS "room" differentiation down because the spaces aren't squares and are marked somewhat subtely, but it clicked soon enough.

The game is very story driven, and has copius amounts of text that is read at specific times by the Keeper (GM). Fights are described in great detail, ie "you kicked the monster in the head, and it fell to the floor, taking 1 damage" or something similar. These fights often start out with a some special rule that makes you pass an attribute test right off the bat. All of this is accompanied with well-written story that describes everything.

Another cool thing about fights is that you don't know much about your enemy until you actually attack it. Even though you know what type of monster it is, they have varying attributes and special rules that are revealed on the bottom of their bases after the initial wound is inflicted. I believe this even included the number of wounds necessary to kill it. Also, wound markers were inserted into the enemies' bases, so the bases were really functional.

Moving into rooms often involves passing an attribute test to break the door opoen or jimmy the lock. I saw someone have to try to rewire an electric lock similar to the hacking mini-games in Biohazard. Also, doors can be boarded up to keep anyone or anything from getting througjh. All of this was really cool. You can see it in the video OD posted.

There are a lot of rules and steps to each turn/round/whatever, so stuff was a bit slow-going at first while everone got used to it, but it was just starting to pick up a bit when I had to leave.

I think it was the heavy story and exploration elements, along with the cool board and figs, that sold me on it. It looked like a really neat game, and I can't wait to get a copy.
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
March (which I guess is the new release date)cannot come fast enough!!!
Now if FFP could just come out with "The Coast" expansion for AToE life could be beautiful
(or at least suck less).

OD

02-21-2011, 04:58 AM
(02-20-2011 05:18 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  March (which I guess is the new release date)cannot come fast enough!!!
Now if FFP could just come out with "The Coast" expansion for AToE life could be beautiful
(or at least suck less).

OD

+1 Watchmen02
All the feedback is sounding positive on the whole and it appears the game is playing rather as I expected it too. Good for me in that I didn't have any false expectations.

I agree it was time we felt some more AToE love OD. All the new games and supplements from FFP have been really excellent, I feel we've been quite spoiled actually, but I feel the need to return to Shadowbrook again. Hell, I'm even painting my miniatures (Finally)!!!Watchmen01
02-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Talos I saw your post on FFG-MoM & riffed a little on 'Time"so I thought I would do the full version here.
With all due apologies to the Righteous Brothers.

"I need This Game"

Oh, this Game
my MoM
I've hungered for your touch
a long lonely time
and time goes by so slowly
and time can do so much
are you still on preorder?
I need this Game
I need this Game
FFG speed your Game to me

Lonely rivers flow to the sea,
to the sea
to the open arms of the sea
lonely rivers sigh 'wait for me, wait for me'
I'll be coming UPS wait for me

Oh, my Game
my MoM
I've hungered for your touch
a long lonely time
and time goes by so slowly
and time can do so much
are you on preorder?
I need this Game
I need this Game
FFG speed your Game to me

02-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Yesterday, I had a chance to play a preview copy of this at the FLGS in my area.

It was a great game! I mean, I've never played any Arkham Horror, and the creatures and characters are derived from that, but I really enjoyed it immensely.

OD, you will love this game!
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
+Rep OD, that was awesome!!! I damn near choked on my coffee...
02-22-2011, 11:33 PM
The Rules are up (well the Inv Rules looks like the Keeper Book will not be put up)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_co...sLoRes.pdf

OD