Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New FFP game announced - Dark Gothic
08-15-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: New FFP game announced - Dark Gothic
Well, deck building games aren't collectible card games so I don't think it's going to be something like Magic: The Gathering.

But this is totally unexpected. Flying Frog with a game without minis? Never thought that'd happen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
It's a game with LOTS of cards (sold as a bundle; not in packs like trading card games like Magic, or living card games like Android Netrunner) that are set out in piles. You start the game with a small deck that you use cards from and acquire new cards as you play the game. Different cards you acquire as you play adjusting your strategy. Sometimes you acquire "bad" cards that don't help your deck as a penalty for certain things, and so on. Any time your draw pile is empty, you shuffle your discard into a new deck and keep going.

I count Deck Building games as "board games" (I also count Munchkin as a "board game" even though it has no board...) A couple DBGs do have boards (Ascension, Legendary).

Dominion is the (very good!) game that basically established the genre a couple years ago. Zombie-themed, there's Resident Evil (I consider it one of the worse ones in the genre of those I've played). There's also a zombie hunter fan-done reskin of Dominion on BGG.
08-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Sorry, but part of the experience for me is the hands on & tactile sensations of a board, miniatures, etc. If I wanted to play cards, I'd play Poker. This whole deck building craze lately irks me almost as much as the Kickstarter Swag frenzy (thanks Zombicide!) Insane19

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Ah, but I find DBCs very tactile: lots of reshuffling, lots of moving cards around, pick up and drops, etc.
08-16-2013, 02:52 PM
(08-15-2013 08:28 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Wow - didn't see this coming! Anyone with more news or details?

https://www.facebook.com/FFPgames?hc_location=stream

Well spotted achtung panzer but not for me. I've played magic and those games are pretty cool but I like miniature based games as it gives me an excuse to paint more. This game will be awesome and high quality though for the deck building fans.
08-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm with you too Trev. I want models, boards and dice for my games. Good luck to FFP though - hope it's a success.
08-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess it's a way to attract other types of gamers. Those who prefer card games may start taking a look at FFP's other offerings and see that FFP's games make use of a lot of cards. I'll keep an eye on this.
08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
This definately won't be for everyone, but I think its good that they are diversifying a bit.
08-17-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm not as into deck building games as I am regular board games, especially ones with miniatures. But, I have played a few that I loved. So, bottom line is, this is a Flying Frog Productions game.... so it WILL be added to my collection somewhere down the road. It may not be one I necessarily rush out to get as quickly as possible. But, it will eventually be added to my collection.
08-19-2013, 02:01 AM
(08-16-2013 02:01 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Ah, but I find DBCs very tactile: lots of reshuffling, lots of moving cards around, pick up and drops, etc.

Eh, to each their own. For me that sensation lies more in studying the artwork of a board, looking for all kinds of details, studying the mini's, moving them around the board, etc.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"