Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One of Us!?
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 09:21 PM by thanatos.)
One of Us!?
My players came up with the idea of having one hero be infected and the other heroes trying to rescue him or her, so I hammered out this custom scenario on Friday, then we playtested it twice and tweaked the rules a little bit.

In this scenario, the hero team has 10 turns to cure their infected comrade, who is holed up in a safe house with six rounds in a revolver. The infected hero can not leave the safe house, but zombies CAN enter, and each additional wound from a zombie carries a chance of turning the infected hero before his or her time.

If the infected hero hits turn 10 without being cured, they either turn immediately or they use the revolver (if ammo is left) to attempt to commit suicide. If they lose their nerve, they become a zombie hero, but with all their heroic abilities (and movement).

My group had a lot of fun playing the scenario, and I hope anyone who tries it enjoys it. I welcome any feedback.

UPDATED 7/27/2011: I used the templates from the download section to doll up the scenario rules. I may update it again in the future with a better image on the scenario card, if I can get one.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  One of Us Rev2.pdf (Size: 1.03 MB / Downloads: 167)
.pdf  One of Us fullpage.pdf (Size: 415.78 KB / Downloads: 75)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
RE: One of Us!?
This looks like it would be fun to play. I will play this once I've finished the other scenarios. Thanks for posting.
07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Absolutely! Making and testing a custom scenario was really fun, so I hope to be able to contribute more in the future. I hope your group enjoys it as much as mine did.
07-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Some comments:

* You remove "I feel Kinda Strange". Do you also intend to remove Bitten? (http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....rd:Bitten)
* Make it "reroll on 5-6" instead of subtract two. That messes up probabilities.
* I'm not sure some of your rules under the "Infected Hero Rules" area. (Why can he fire through any walls? What's the definition of "passing zombies"?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2011, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2011 08:51 PM by thanatos.)
(07-25-2011 07:27 PM)mqstout Wrote:  * You remove "I feel Kinda Strange". Do you also intend to remove Bitten? (http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....ard:Bitten )

*We don't have Growing Hunger yet (but it's on its way!), so I didn't know about Bitten, but I've added that to the rules now.

Quote:* Make it "reroll on 5-6" instead of subtract two. That messes up probabilities.

*I've altered the reroll on 5-6. We have plenty of D4s, so I kind of threw that in as an afterthought originally.

Quote:* I'm not sure some of your rules under the "Infected Hero Rules" area. (Why can he fire through any walls? What's the definition of "passing zombies"?)

*The "Passing Zombie" rule is there mainly in case a zombie using shamble goes streaking by within the Infected Hero's range, but would leave the hero's range before the end of the zombie Turn - this allows that hero to be a little more proactive while waiting to be cured. As I think about it, though, it's a little ambiguous and OP, so I've altered the verbage a bit to clarify and allow an attack of opportunity with a -1 penalty to the roll, therefore requiring a roll of 5 or greater.

*The firing through walls was added because I was being a little too soft in being evil toward my players. I should have removed it after I added the "No Adjacent Zombie Pits" rule. It has been removed now. The idea originally was that, since my players like to search heavily, they might be lulled into digging out a lot of event cards that "belong" to the Infected Hero when he or she turns, since they could get away with huddling in a corner and searching without feeling like they were overexposing themselves to zombies, but it would probably unbalance more than it helped if it really played out that way.
Edited to Revision 2 because I forgot to include the starting locations and rules for uninfected heroes:
+Uninfected Heroes start OUTSIDE the safe house (one hero to a side)
+Except for hero abilities (such as Sheriff Anderson’s), uninfected heroes do NOT begin with any cards
08-01-2011, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 09:10 PM by nitro9090.)
I am going to get on this as soon as i get another chance to play. Sadly, it could be a little while...

By the way, did you have a bunch of fun dealing with all of the little rules to round out the game? I definitely did when I started making scenarios.
08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Working out the rules was a blast, and playtesting to make sure the rules were fair was even more fun (playtesting is what brought about that "no zombie spawning pit within two squares of the safe house" rule). I look forward to hearing what you think once you get a chance to try it out.
09-02-2011, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 03:31 AM by abomination.)
Me and my wife tried out your scenario last night. She played the heros and I played the zombies. my wife started with Sally,Becky,jake, and Johnny was the infected hero. Due to a series of unlucky rolls by her and some good rolls and two oh the horrors in the first three turns Becky was dead. Johnny held his own and had picked up a hunting rifle, a first aid kit, and a monkey wrench. So he was pretty well set and I could'nt touch him. So I spent my zombie resources souly on the jake and sally and impedeing there search. She finally found the antidote in the fifth building she searched but could not get it back to johnny in time. He failed at suicide which resulted in a very powerful zombie hero who killed both the other heros with the hunting rifle on turn 13.

we both really enjoyed this scenario, the only thing I might change is letting the zombie keep the items, it seems to me like it will more often than not make for an overpowered zombie hero. Then again she could have just searched less.the next time we play we are going to try it with abilities only for the zombie hero. But other than That it was a very fun and frantic scenario.
09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! I may alter the rules so that the zombie hero doesn't keep the items, but they still get removed from the game just like any event cards s/he drew but did not play. It still creates a serious catch-22 for the hero players, since the infected hero could end up removing some very valuable items from play, but it keeps the zombie hero from becoming too OP.

Thanks very much for the feedback
09-03-2011, 03:29 AM
(09-02-2011 08:45 PM)thanatos Wrote:  Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! I may alter the rules so that the zombie hero doesn't keep the items, but they still get removed from the game just like any event cards s/he drew but did not play. It still creates a serious catch-22 for the hero players, since the infected hero could end up removing some very valuable items from play, but it keeps the zombie hero from becoming too OP.

Thanks very much for the feedback

its very catch-22, but the more i think about it the more pressure it puts on the human player to play strategically since everytime they searh they are potetially killing themselves. Her bad luck with dice last night was a huge part of this being a problem though.
we are playing your scenario again tonight I'll let you know how this one goes.