Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
I must say, I agree with the doorknob on this one. Perhaps the instructions could use an example, much like the one you guys used here, to illustrate the effects of red walls on zombie movement. The original LNoE rulebook makes great use of examples for explaining things like fight dice rules, line of sight and so forth.

Also, I feel the need to defend doorknob's intelligence here. I understand what you're saying about critical thinking but, it was a bit unclear to me also.

You made the statement:
"You were limiting your Zombies to any adjacent space on the GROUND floor. A Zombie diagonal to a Hero may still climb orthogonally to the SECOND floor because it is still one of the 8 adjacent Zombie Hunger Spaces!"

I thought the whole problem was about zombies getting stuck on the lower level, (presumably from being UNABLE to climb the wall.) So, it sounded to me like you were saying "in that case, they can move to any hero-adjacent space, including spaces on the 2nd floor."

At any rate, don't get too discouraged or anything. The volume and quality of the content you came up with is truly astounding! That's why people are spending so much time figuring out how to use it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Again, I agree. What I don't agree with is his interpretation. It's contradictory.

I could have prepared more diagrams and such, but at one point you have to just finish it. I could update that thing literally forever. There is always room for improvement and better explanations in any work that is done. At some point I have to say its done and rely on the reader to determine it for themselves.

The problem was he thougth the Hero could kite the zombies by dancing back and forth on the second floor. My answer was that they don't have to climb directly to the hero, but can climb to any surrounding space.

I don't know if you have looked at the rulebook I made, but there IS an example showing a zombie in the exact situation showing his movement options.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
03-14-2011, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2011 06:41 AM by dalembraun.)
I probably should change my name to "dumberthanadoorknob", because I'm looking for more clarification on Zombie Hunger and the Red Wall.

Case 1:
XX|
XH|a
Xb|Z
Zombie wants to climb wall to "b" and rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally on top of Human (climbing, even though it failed a climb roll)? Or can it only move up to "a"?

Case 2:
Xa|b
XH|Z
Xc|d
Zombie wants to climb wall to get Human but rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally to "a" or "c" (by climbing, even though it failed a climb roll), or can it only move to "b" or "d"? Can the zombie relocate to any of the X positions as part of the failed-climb movement, since those spaces are one of the 8 ZH-applicable spaces for the human?

OK, enough of the "beating my head against the red wall" questions...

Fire questions:
1. If all fires start at intensity 4, why is there a call-out in the rules regarding gasoline fires starting at intensity 4?
2. If a hero doesn't have a fire item, but throws the gasoline or dynamite at a burning zombie, does the gas or dynamite automatically light?
3. How about throwing THROUGH a square that contains fire or a burning zombie? If Hero throws dynamite through a fire marker, aiming for a zombie on the other side of the fire, is it an automatic lighting of the TNT?
4. Your rules say "after moving a burning zombie rolls a D6, and burns up on a 6", leaving a fire marker behind. Does this happen to ALL burning zombies (as in "after the zombie movement phase"), or only to individual burning zombies that actually MOVE on their turn? The former would imply a secondary fire check, while the latter implies that if you want a zombie to set a fire, it has to be moving, not holding still.

Betsy question:
1. Does Betsy start on the board in the yard, or only appear when her card is drawn AND the hero decides to place her there in the yard?

Speaking of Starting:
1. In the Undead Inferno scenario, zombies spawn ONLY from the Manor house? What if an X is discovered in the rubble or wooded debris? Are the regular Xs ignored for the UI scenario, but used when combining the boards with other scenarios/games?
2. Since none of the buildings correspond to a Hero's starting space, each Hero starts in a random building with a free Hero card, right?

Fire Extinguisher:
1. How much range does the fire extinguish have? The card says (for normal use) it pushes all zombies in the 8 adjacent spaces away 1 space. I would assume it also puts out any fires on those same 8 spaces and puts out any burning zombies that are repelled.
2. Does the fire extinguisher get stopped by walls? For example, in the fire station... if there is a fire in the space of the first floor office's exterior door and a fire on the second floor space orthogonally adjacent, and the Hero is standing in the 2nd floor space right above the office stairs, will the use of the fire extinguisher only put out the 2nd floor fire, or will it also put out the 1st floor fire that is diagonal to the Hero but technically behind a wall?

|fire Hero|
|=== |
]fire |stair :
:________:

Zombie Mob question:
1. Your examples of the 3 zombies wanting to climb into the treehouse says that the first zombie who attempts to climb will succeed on a 3+ (because of the two other zombies in the same square). However, if the second zombie now also wants to climb up, that zombie only gets a 4+ to climb, because there's only one other zombie in the square? Is that the right interpretation?

Well, that's enough for now. Wonderful expansion! I'm using poster putty to keep the burning zombie tokens attached to the appropriate zombies, making it easy to move them around. Dang! I forgot to take pictures!

For those of you in the Vancouver WA area, and who plan to attend GameStorm, sign up for my game session (Saturday Mar 26, 7pm) and see how it plays!
03-15-2011, 12:30 AM
(03-14-2011 06:37 AM)dalembraun Wrote:  I probably should change my name to "dumberthanadoorknob", because I'm looking for more clarification on Zombie Hunger and the Red Wall.

Case 1:
XX|
XH|a
Xb|Z
Zombie wants to climb wall to "b" and rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally on top of Human (climbing, even though it failed a climb roll)? Or can it only move up to "a"?

Case 2:
Xa|b
XH|Z
Xc|d
Zombie wants to climb wall to get Human but rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally to "a" or "c" (by climbing, even though it failed a climb roll), or can it only move to "b" or "d"? Can the zombie relocate to any of the X positions as part of the failed-climb movement, since those spaces are one of the 8 ZH-applicable spaces for the human?

OK, enough of the "beating my head against the red wall" questions...

Fire questions:
1. If all fires start at intensity 4, why is there a call-out in the rules regarding gasoline fires starting at intensity 4?
2. If a hero doesn't have a fire item, but throws the gasoline or dynamite at a burning zombie, does the gas or dynamite automatically light?
3. How about throwing THROUGH a square that contains fire or a burning zombie? If Hero throws dynamite through a fire marker, aiming for a zombie on the other side of the fire, is it an automatic lighting of the TNT?
4. Your rules say "after moving a burning zombie rolls a D6, and burns up on a 6", leaving a fire marker behind. Does this happen to ALL burning zombies (as in "after the zombie movement phase"), or only to individual burning zombies that actually MOVE on their turn? The former would imply a secondary fire check, while the latter implies that if you want a zombie to set a fire, it has to be moving, not holding still.

Betsy question:
1. Does Betsy start on the board in the yard, or only appear when her card is drawn AND the hero decides to place her there in the yard?

Speaking of Starting:
1. In the Undead Inferno scenario, zombies spawn ONLY from the Manor house? What if an X is discovered in the rubble or wooded debris? Are the regular Xs ignored for the UI scenario, but used when combining the boards with other scenarios/games?
2. Since none of the buildings correspond to a Hero's starting space, each Hero starts in a random building with a free Hero card, right?

Fire Extinguisher:
1. How much range does the fire extinguish have? The card says (for normal use) it pushes all zombies in the 8 adjacent spaces away 1 space. I would assume it also puts out any fires on those same 8 spaces and puts out any burning zombies that are repelled.
2. Does the fire extinguisher get stopped by walls? For example, in the fire station... if there is a fire in the space of the first floor office's exterior door and a fire on the second floor space orthogonally adjacent, and the Hero is standing in the 2nd floor space right above the office stairs, will the use of the fire extinguisher only put out the 2nd floor fire, or will it also put out the 1st floor fire that is diagonal to the Hero but technically behind a wall?

|fire Hero|
|=== |
]fire |stair :
:________:

Zombie Mob question:
1. Your examples of the 3 zombies wanting to climb into the treehouse says that the first zombie who attempts to climb will succeed on a 3+ (because of the two other zombies in the same square). However, if the second zombie now also wants to climb up, that zombie only gets a 4+ to climb, because there's only one other zombie in the square? Is that the right interpretation?

Well, that's enough for now. Wonderful expansion! I'm using poster putty to keep the burning zombie tokens attached to the appropriate zombies, making it easy to move them around. Dang! I forgot to take pictures!

For those of you in the Vancouver WA area, and who plan to attend GameStorm, sign up for my game session (Saturday Mar 26, 7pm) and see how it plays!

Case 1: "a" only.
Case 2: "b & d" only

1. Gas fires: This was called out because Gasoline explosions could potentially ignite all 9 squares, and I was just reinforcing that.

2. No. It only works if you throw it into a fire, not a zombie. (Feel free to play it what way if you wish though)

3. Nope. Only if the item lands of a square with a Flare marker. (Feel free to play it what way if you wish though)

4. It applies to every zombie which is on fire. Even if the zombie player chose not to move them the zombie must be rolled and given a chance to burn to death.

1. Betsy must be drawn. The Yard just gives her a special bonus if the Hero players choose to place her there.

1. All X's are ignored, as zombies ONLY spawn from the manor. This includes taken over cards. They do not have to be spaced evenly and can spawn from any square in the manor house.

2. I start them in a random building without a card since they will be able to search jsut as other hero's can.

1. Correct, it has the same range.

2. It can hit all 8 surround spaces regardless.

1. That's the correct interpretation. As Zombie's leave the Mob it gets weaker and so does the climb bonus.

Thanks for the questions. I appreciate you asking them becuase it helps me know what to do better when making/explaining these rules. I hope that helps. You were spot on for most of them, but a little clarity never hurts.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
03-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not gonna quote the reply to the novel; that'd be too long!

Oooh, gas explosions potentially starting 9 fires? I'll have to re-read the instructions on that one! Note to self: only use gas for chainsaw!

My interpretation of objects through fire was taken from Invasion from Outer Space; I'll need to make sure NOT to use that next week.

Heroes starting with or without a free Hero card: I can see either working, since the original rules say they can get a free card, but since zombies only spawn from the center and can't move to a building within two moves (without Shamble), the heroes basically get two free searches anyway. I'll run the game next week with your recommendation.

New questions:

Hotel Rooms:
1. On the Hero turn, each hero can draw as many Hero cards as there are Heroes in the room with them. I had an instance where Jake and Jenny were in a room. Jake gets to draw two but keep one as his normal ability; with Jenny in the room, would he draw four (each regular draw gets doubled via his ability) or three (his regular draw gets doubled, but the bonus draw doesn't), and would he keep one or two cards? The call-out in the instructions for that building says that if four heroes are in the room, a hero would draw four cards but only keep one; is that the same for fewer heroes? Is the intent that a hero gets to search more but only keep one item out of all he/she finds, or they get to search more and keep all they find?

Scenario Win conditions:
1. To win, zombies must get at least half of all squares of each building to be rubble or aflame in order to win. Three of your tiles have a single building on them: Sawmill (10 spaces), Fire Station (12 spaces), Hotel (19 spaces, including the parking lot... or does the parking lot count?). However, the Residence has a house (6 spaces), a shed (1 space) and a kennel (3 spaces). Is the Residence cluster of buildings counted as a single building, or do zombies have to burn the shed, burn at least two of the kennel space AND burn half the house?

I have to ask, because game conventions are electromagnets for rules munchkins... and I'm sure I'll be asked these, and many more!

For those who may be wondering how I made my set:
I printed the pages out on an office Xerox-type printer that accepts 11x17, then rubber-cemented the L-boards to the opposite side of four of my regular boards... yeah, now I can't combine them, I know... I may have to make a second set of Undead Inferno boards!

I printed the instructions on 11x17, booklet style and stapled in the center... looks almost as good as the original instruction book!

For the rest of the tokens, I used the cardboard from expansion games (I usually combine games & their expansions into one box but keep the unused for just this purpose) and rubber-cemented the token pages to them. Next, using sharp scissors on the round tokens and a box cutter on the squares, I trimmed the parts. Finally, I took a wide sharpie ink pen and blackened the edges of each of the tokens.

The only thing that didn't turn out the way I expected was printing the scenario card on glossy photo paper; the colors don't match the rest of the pieces.
03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
1. The idea was to have the Hero's ransacking the rooms. I meant it as if all the Hero's are searching together, but only find one item which isnt junk. Jake would search his normal 2 and only 1 additional card per Hero. So for example:

a) Jake + Jenny. Jake searches 3 cards picks one to keep
b) Jake + Jenny. Jenny searches 2 cards and picks one to keep

2. "So the Residence cluster of buildings counted as a single building, or do zombies have to burn the shed, burn at least two of the kennel space AND burn half the house?" Correct.

Another example would be the hotel. You don't have to burn half of each room, but half the building as a whole. The parking lot counts as a building in regards to the fire spreading (assuming the cards are on fire and such), but you are correct that is is NOT actually a building and does not have to be burned down do win.

I'm sorry to hear that scenario card didn't come out as expected. What is the problem? Too dark? Too light? Colors mismatch?

P.S. I don't own IFOS so if you like that rule about throwing stuff into fire go ahead and use it!

04-04-2011, 06:52 AM
(03-16-2011 12:26 AM)D153453D Wrote:  I'm sorry to hear that scenario card didn't come out as expected. What is the problem? Too dark? Too light? Colors mismatch?

I printed the scenario card using glossy photo paper in a ColorLaserJet printer... if I had just used regular paper and pasted it to a cardboard back, it would have matched. Or if I had used an inkjet printer for the photo paper. It was my faux pas, not yours.

Check out my pictures of our GameStorm game last weekend!

http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...2#pid17272
04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
If like me, you were a lazy bugger, would you potentially be able to go to a print store and get them to print this amazing (unofficial) expansion on card. Unsure if any stores do this service?
05-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Ok, I have to weight in on the whole zombie moving to ANY of the Zombie Hunger spaces thing. Doorknob, Braun... D153453D wrote it out correctly. I really don't want to insult anyone, but being a GM and reading those posts... you guys are going at him like a couple of rules lawyers. Now... let me represent D153453D for a moment and explain why his wording was perfectly fine. You guys are hung up on movement for a normal zombie turn, but what if the Zombie player used a card to augment their movement... like a shamble or something else? With the right roll, he COULD move that zombie anywhere around the hero (if they couldn't get to him for some reason), so he worded the rule just fine. You just need to use common sense and combine the rules of the game in order to get your possible outcomes, as he stated in his clarification of a normal zombie turn.

D153453D, I'd like to say that I read it first hand, but I'm having a rough time getting a clean download. I'll get it soon enuff... I hope. Watchmen02
05-03-2011, 12:39 AM
(05-02-2011 05:58 PM)kinkomaster Wrote:  D153453D, I'd like to say that I read it first hand, but I'm having a rough time getting a clean download. I'll get it soon enuff... I hope. Watchmen02

There is the download here and the megaupload one.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8FW8Z8C

Appreciate the response, hope you enjoy.