Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
Thanks for the dl, D. I read thru the book and it looked good to me. I'll have to run the scenario to see if I get questions, but I seriously doubt that I'll get one. Good job!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 06:41 AM
I've played through this game, and it seems really hard to get the fire to spread. We have kind of a debate about the fire spreading when it comes to the grass. I know it can't spread grass to grass, but some of the people who play as the humans are saying it can't spread from the grass to the buildings. It seems to me that it should be able to go from grass to building/trees, and building/trees to grass. When we allowed the fires to jump it spreads more like a real fire in a small town, and makes it harder for the heroes. It also made a difference if we played with all of the expansion boards or used some of the normal ones. In the expansion parts the fire can spread almost all they way around the board, jumping from building to building through single grass spaces (which I think is more how an "inferno" would work), but if you use random board parts you can end up with gaps of no trees and the fire won't cross two grass squares so it slows it down, and the heroes have an easier time keeping it down. We tried playing it the way the rules worded it, and the zombies couldn't even come close to wining. The heroes just searched the first few turns while the zombies tried to get across the grass, then kept moving and putting out any fire that started before it spread at all, and shooting zombies in the grass so they couldn't move. At most they finished with three or four rubble spaces each time.
I'm sorry my wording is kind of rough here, this site is still the first forum I've ever been on so I'm not much of a writer. I'm not really asking what the rule is (it says clearly it can't spread to grass), I'm just mentioning this as a change we made to the rules ourselves to make the fire spread more realistically, and wondering what your opinion was.
07-14-2011, 12:14 AM
You're free to change it however you want it if it makes it more enjoyable or challenging.

I do play that it can spread to buildings and not grass because, its the dead corpse that is actually burning, not the grass. That way if a zombie dies next to a wall its burning body can still spread, but the building on fire can't spread to a grass space. That was the idea, but as I said play it anyway you find it most fun. I always love making it harder for the Heros anyway so go right ahead.

You're right about the use of boards making a difference. I usually use random boards so there is always a mix.

In regards to your zombies moving out the building. I did revise it by including a burning Manor token which fits over the whole house ans the rules were revised they can spawn on any square within the building which saves the zombie several turns. I'm quite certain it is in the MEGAUPLOAD link, and I may have missed including it in this site becuase I didn't want to bother Sarku by constantly asking him to upload stuff for me. So try the other full download link if that's the case. In any case all the zombies in that particular scenario already start out on fire so you can just go burn down another part of town where the Heros aren't.

Regarding on how easy it was I'm not sure how your game went, but that's usually the strategy to shoot zombies out in the open before they get into your buildings anyway so maybe you just got lucky and found guns early on.

Also zombie autospawn should have been used, and it should work with just the 14 zombies, but using the extra 7 from Growing Hunger might solve your problems simply by having more burning bodies on the board.

I usually also have multiple zombies in a building to guard it while its burning.

Also, the victory conditions are rubble tokens AND spaces with fires. That makes a huge difference.

It's also easier for the zombies if you burn down half the building squares. By counting the total number of indoor squares and then counting the remaining at the end as opposed to burning half or more in every building. That lets you focus on the larger structures with a bigger swarm. That's how I usually play it anyway eventhough it's not written that way in the rules. It's less balanced that way, but that's how I prefer my apocolypses.

I'm not a writer either so please ask if something doesn't make sense. I hope that helps shed some more light on it, but just do whatever you have the most fun with.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
07-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Hey. Where's that link. I'd like the latest and greatest here if that's okay with you.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Actually, I dunno where the link went...but here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8FW8Z8C and it's also been updated in teh other thread.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."